1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

easiest, cheapest home camera system

Discussion in 'General' started by gixer1100, Nov 6, 2021.

1. gixer1100

gixer1100 CEREAL KILLER

looking to put a few up around the house, any recommendations? i figure black friday might be a good time to look.

2. BC

BC Well-Known Member

Lorex

3. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

Have Ring, is great for my needs.

Not the cheapest but fairly idiot proof.

pjdoran likes this.
  4. jonathanp

jonathanp Tech drop out

I agree with this. It definitely works for my house.

5. Ducati89

Ducati89 Ticketing Melka's dirtybike

Surround yourself with elderly neighbors.

FastByKids, G2G, tony 340 and 4 others like this.
  6. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

After having a piecemeal system in place over the years, I switched everything over to the Google Home (Nest?) stuff (doorbell, indoor and outdoor cameras, thermostat, WiFi) and it's been awesome. Integration is easy, adding pieces is easy and you control everything from one app. I don't think it's the cheapest thing out there, but it definitely was an upgrade from a stand alone camera system and the backup and notifications happen basically in real time now and you can sort events the camera picked up by sounds (dog bark or talking, for example) and the camera footage is high quality enough to read license plate numbers and identity faces, which is the most important part of a camera I feel gets overlooked.

JBowen33, DmanSlam and Ducati89 like this.
  7. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Bezoz watches you touch yourself.

speedluvn, L8RSK8R and sheepofblue like this.
  8. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

[​IMG]

9. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

If that’s the case, I’d be immensely flattered.

KneeDragger_c69 likes this.
  10. zertrider

zertrider Waiting for snow. Or sun.

Bought 2 different cameras off Amazon. Something like $80CND. Both work great. One is HeimVision, and the other is CamHiPro.
    Been 2 and 3 yrs so far

11. dieterly

dieterly Well-Known Member

I have wyze for the outside, cheap and easy

R/T Performance likes this.
  12. chickenpants

chickenpants Well-Known Member

I’ve used the Wyze Cams inside and out for two homes. Cheap and trouble free. Availability is a challenge..

R/T Performance likes this.
  13. I got some off Amazon called "iHome".

They werent expensive, and I honestly cant complain a bit.

With the app on my phone i can view all of the cameras. And can even turn my phone a little to see outside the normal view.

They have noise and motion detection. If they detect something, they automatically start recording, and will send me a notification and a 6-second clip (i can then go watch the full clip if i want).

You can also setup the "detection window". Like if trees moving outside of a window will trip it, you can setup the detection window to eliminate that area. It will still be able to see it, it just wont trip the motion detection.

DmanSlam likes this.
  14. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Mine is by Holosun. It's not at all easy or automatic but very effective if it detects an intruder. It doesn't record a thing so I get to make up my own story for the police.

Evad101 and motoracer1100 like this.
  15. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Stay away from Brinks, friend just put 2 of theirs in and have been a major hassle. Hours on the phone trying to get them right.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2021
  16. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

Amazon blink

zx6rfool likes this.
  17. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

That's good to hear, my new place comes with a Ring doorbell/cam and I was thinking of just bolting on a few more Ring cams to the system.

18. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

After understanding the privacy issues, I wont have Ring or Siri. Why would aid & abet big brother?

19. Lawdog78

Lawdog78 Well-Known Member

I have the Amazon Blink as well. Only complaint is if the power or internet is out, cameras don't work. Super easy to use and set up though

zx6rfool likes this.
  20. Saiyan66

Saiyan66 Stand your ground

Any system that isn't cloud based for its data storage would be my recommendation. Lorex gets good reviews from the friends that have them. Also think about what is still going to work in a power outage. The battery powered cameras may work, and the recording unit may have a backup battery but the WIFI that they use to record to the hard drive wont be operational.