1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2000 meter row...

Discussion in 'General' started by Evad101, Sep 8, 2021.

1. See, now I really want to get in it, because I love shit like that.

In high school, the basketball coach made everyone join the Cross Country team (5k races). The scenario you mentioned was the hardest for me in the beginning, because I was a natural sprinter (played Wide Receiver in football, and Centerfield in baseball). Put that, with the fact that i can't stand being passed by anyone, anytime, doing anything...and i really struggled over the first mile. I didnt have the patience to stay within myself. Then over a few meets I developed it.

I also LOVED the last 100-200 yards of the 5k race. I basically lived for that last minute sprint. I loved feeling like i was done, had nothing left, and then always being able to find something in the tank for the last sprint. It was even better when someone was beside me and it turned into a sprint race. Once it turned into a sprint race at the end, they were in my wheelhouse...and i always felt like i could dig deeper than anyone else. If the last 100 yards came down to a battle of wills, i liked my odds because i absolutely refused to lose.

It seems like all the same things apply to this. The only bad part is that i am racing against a clock, and ive never really been good at that. I need to beat someone.

Evad101 and sdg like this.
  2. sdg

sdg *

The clock is me, I'm beating myself...

Or not...

That's how I look at it

Gorilla George likes this.
  3. sdg

sdg *

In the moment, I absolutely love it when I get to the place where it is "just keep putting one foot in front of the other" "7 more" "6 more"...

Don't get me wrong, it sucks but in those situations... Nothing. Else. Matters.

Gorilla George likes this.
  4. Paddy O

Paddy O Well-Known Member

Glad to see the recognition of the 2k being such serious personal physical test. A marathon in less than 8 minutes! Mr.101, you really need to get a 2k time on a concept 2, and take a picture of the result. You would easily qualify for a free trip to Boston for the "Crash B Finals". Anything under 6.20 for over 50 should be a top time,$$$. How tall are you?

5. Paddy O

Also, your race strategy is exactly what top erg rowers are trained to do. 28-32 stroke rate and keep your 500m splits even. Coaches always talk about how you only have so much gas in the tank, save some for the finish!

Gorilla George and JCW like this.
  6. Evad101

Evad101 Well-Known Member

$$$ for rowing would be a fun adventure. Now I really need to now find a C2 to try out on. Maybe a local gym will have one I can pop in for a few evenings to get a rhythm down and then record a 2k-row.

6"6" but most of my height is in my torso. (only 33" inseam)

I have watched a number of professional rowing videos for technique and strategy along with reading up on it. It has help me tremendously.

JCW likes this.
  7. upload_2021-9-11_18-27-22.jpeg

:D

cav115 and Evad101 like this.
  8. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

7:41.8 today.

i just need to knock of 3 seconds a week …for 20 weeks straight.

Paddy O likes this.
  9. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

13 yr old step son likes to peacock around the house, telling me that he’s faster than me… (i have MS and struggle with running. He will beat me in a mile, even though i believe I’m in better shape)

his 2000m time? 9:17.x

I’m going to enjoy this while it lasts. If he keeps lifting with me, eventually I’m not going to be able to spot him one-handed anymore. I’ll always be taller though!

Evad101 and Paddy O like this.
  10. Paddy O

Your 7:41 says you are pretty fit, height is a big deal but a 9:17 is not that great for a 13 year old unless he is very short. Most male high school team rowers can get under 8:00 pretty easily if they train at all. BTW the basic training plan for the 2k is 1 hour at 15 above your best 2k 500meter split. So if your 2k is 7:40 you are at 1:55 split so for a 1 hour row you should aim for a 2:10 split.

fixerflyer likes this.
  11. aftriathlete

aftriathlete Well-Known Member

Not sure about the OP's specific brand of water rower, but my experience with water rowers in the past is they have a similar workout stimulus, but the times on the screen can't be compared to the C2. Best ever 2K on the C2 for me was 3 yrs ago, did a 6:59, but I can't claim that any more. Did a 2K just last week though and got a 7:19, I was mostly pleased with that for it being at the end of my workout. I think 7:09 is probably possible with fresh legs. I'm a 38 yo military guy, average size (5'10, 175).

Paddy O likes this.
  12. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

7:42.8 tonight after the other boy did a 9:44.

i did a heavy back workout at lunch today, but that probably isn’t much of an excuse for being a second slower. I haven’t been training for rowing much, so losing a second is acceptable

13. Paddy O

Good job, that is pretty consistent actually. BTW there is a new independent movie out called "the Novice" about a female college rower who's director/writer was a rower. Very accurate picture of what rowing is like at the college level including a great slow-motion scene of a 2k test, complete with Patsy Cline sound track. Anyone who has done a 2k erg test will appreciate it. The girl in the movie does a 7:40, she is tiny like 5-3". The story itself however is a bit too woke for me but the details of the rowing are spot on.

14. sdg

sdg *

Just now in CrossFit 500m for time then rest 2 min. 3x

1:45, 1:48, 1:45

I'm 48

15. Evad101

Just did a 6:10.00 flat this morning @ Orange Theory Fitness on a water rower. (I still have not tried a C2 rower)

My goal was 1:32.5 split times and I managed exactly that for my time.

Its my personal best beating my old PB by 4.5 seconds!

16. Paddy O

A 6:10 is stunning and possibly a world record if you are over 50. You need to do that on a Concept 2 rower at an indoor regatta as January to March is indoor rowing season and just about every state has one or several as listed at: www.regattacentral.com/ regattas All use the C2. Talking about doing a 6:10 2k is like bragging about your 12 inch member, nice, but at some point you have to prove it! BTW, the rowers rule is; photo of the C2 screen or it did not happen.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2022
    Evad101 likes this.
  17. Evad101

I wouldn't know what to do with 12"s :D

I do want to try a C2 though so I can go apples to apples.

Attached Files:

18. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

So we have a C2 rower in our house (we picked one up back during lockdown in 2020), but I've never really tried it.

When doing these 2,000M tests, what "resistance" is the rower supposed to be set to? There is a slide on the fan housing going from 1-10..........is that supposed to be a standard setting for judging performance on these tests?

19. Paddy O

I have no doubt you are pulling at a very high level but I have heard not to trust the consistency of the fluid ergometers scoring. You have a gift, the perfect rowing body type and you sound fit. You need to test on a C2 and you should do it at regatta near you asap. Most regattas have a small masters race usually first thing in the morning, then high school and College race. So, a woman did a 6:19 on the same fluid erg you did your 6:10 on? I would suggest she would not score that on a C2. Anything under a 6:30 makes you a top rower and you will make lots of new friends at any Regatta. Don't bother practicing on a C2 you are ready to race now, get to the regatta 2 hours before the start of your race, do a couple 5 minute pieces to set your damper( everyone goes between 4 to 6). Just make the C2 feel as close to the fluid as possible, I would guess heavy like 5-6. Go race and tell us your result, I may want to be your manager!

Last edited: Dec 16, 2022
    Evad101 likes this.
  20. Evad101

No, the ladies on there are the trainers. Those are all my previous times.

I appreciate the feedback and looked up the link you sent. Nothing in the Washington area anytime soon (unless I looked at it wrong) other than one for juniors (highschool?)