1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Harley Davidson thread

Discussion in 'General' started by Steeltoe, Jul 30, 2018.

1. elvee

elvee Well-Known Member

Love those bikes, and that one has a few tasteful mods. Spang is right, they have gone up in the last few years. Four or five years ago you could get a really clean CR for less than $3K. The only issue I know of is the rocker arms on the early motors. Not sure where 92 was on that spectrum. It almost needs white wheels to go with the frame though.

rd400racer likes this.
  2. Spang308

Spang308 Well-Known Member

I had a buddy that had a lightweight version of the 900ss. It was museum quality and he got a fortune for it when he sold it.
    Really cool bikes. Go get that thing RD.

rd400racer likes this.
  3. ahrma_581

ahrma_581 Well-Known Member

Awesome if your standard for subframe/seat awesome is a CBR600F2 with missing sidecovers.

4. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

Well, I did race an F3 so maybe I'm biased :D

5. tgold

tgold Well-Known Member

Awesome looking bike!

"A Ducati is a Harley with a college education" - Jay Leno

rd400racer likes this.
  6. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

How many miles in the Road king? We still had some older Road Kings in the department when I retired...like 05s I think. We still had a carbed ‘99, too, I believe.

7. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Had 69K when it let go. I meeting the guy in an hour to transfer the title.

8. rd400racer

Well, I transferred the Road King to the new owner this morning and bought the Ducati this afternoon...pick it up Saturday morning. Yeehaw!

9. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Thought you might buy a boat seeing as you already had the anchor. :beer:

rd400racer likes this.
  10. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

Awesome! Good luck with it!

11. rd400racer

I think I did OK. I had a nice long talk with the owner; I feel pretty good about his stewardship while the bike has been in his care. Here is his ad description..

30,700 miles, excellent condition, new Barnett clutch with Oberon slave cylinder, runs great, full service with new belts at 27000 miles, newer battery with wiring update, Ferracci high exhaust, CycleCat rearsets, have some stock parts. This model features Ohlins rear shock, adjustable front suspension, aluminum swingarm and 5.5 inch rear wheel.

12. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

13. ajcjr

ajcjr Well-Known Member

I dont miss my harley at all, sold it and bought a ducati 950 SuperSport S, actually feel one with the bike. The electric livewire is bs, who will buy these bikes for the amount they go for and worry about charging them. I was at the PRI show this past weekend, they had a kart that ran on batteries, the longevity of the motor was interesting because usually you have to rebuld the engine every 10 to 15 hours but when asked how to charge the battery, use a generator at the track LMAO.

14. tgold

tgold Well-Known Member

Using a generator isn't the only way to charge at the track. One solution is to charge from a larger battery pack that itself is connected to solar cells. This could simply be a trailer that carries the charging pack and has solar panels on the roof. The solar panels would charge the large battery literally any time the sun is shining (i.e between race weekends)
    Regardless of that scenario, if an electric motor provides a competitive advantage as a powerplant, I wouldn't necessarily care if I needed a gas-powered generator for charging. You can ridicule me for using a generator if you like, but if I win I won't care one bit. Not sure if they have a class for it but I've been thinking that an electric-motored kart or prototype could be seriously competitive In SCCA autocross.
    Besides that, every race engine depends on electricity to run so what's the big deal if the powerplant itself is electric?

15. ajcjr

ajcjr Well-Known Member

I have no issue with an electric engine in racing. i do have some safety concerns having a decent size batter that could fly off the kart, car, or bike. What if you need to be extracted from an electric car, is it safe for everyone.

The up front cost for the kart i saw was double what it would cost to buy a two stroke running kart.

The world does not have the resources necessary to mine for batteries if everything goes electric. Electric vehicles are cool but they are not saving the earth. I also enjoy hearing a motor and listening to the different manufactures engine tones.

16. tgold

tgold Well-Known Member

It's typical that something new to the market is going to cost more. But once you have your self-contained charging system in place, the cost of fuel pretty much goes away so the savings in race fuel and oil is there.

I agree that electric vehicles aren't going to save the earth. Even while I worked at Tesla I wasn't drinking that Koolaid. However, EVs do have their place. Just think about the reduction in smog for an area like LA if the vehicles there were predominantly electric. I also think that having an electric-vehicles-only racetrack in the middle of a city would bypass the sound issue and make racing much more accessible.

I like the sound of an engine as much as the next guy, but I'd also love having someone not know I'm about to pass them because they can't hear me :D

stk0308 likes this.
  17. KWyman133

KWyman133 Well-Known Member

Norton 357, Triple X and stk0308 like this.
  18. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

Well I'll be damned. They should give that guy a raise instead :D.

19. Triple X

Triple X Well-Known Member

Norton 357 likes this.
  20. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Altered for accuracy.

Triple X likes this.