1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Harley Davidson thread

Discussion in 'General' started by Steeltoe, Jul 30, 2018.

1. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

7000lbs "might" be able to do it.
    https://www.quickjack.com/car-lifts/7000tlx/

2. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

That would be really close. Lets do a 1200lb rating. I dont mind close calls but not every time I want to work in the bike.

3. intrcptrrdr

intrcptrrdr Well-Known Member

TLR67 and Ducti89 like this.
  4. Ducti89

Hey Joe, thanks for the recommendation. Ill grab that. Thats more pertinent than the lift table, which I have already for the race bike.

intrcptrrdr likes this.
  5. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

Craftsman aluminum motorcycle jack. I researched this extensively for my HD Night Rod Special yrs ago. Works perfect, no problems in 8 yrs that i've owned the jack. The best there is.

Ducti89 likes this.
  6. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

I didn't realize there was an aluminum version out there. I've got a steel one, rated for 4000lbs, works great. It's also twice the weight...

Ducti89 likes this.
  7. Ducti89

Awesome! Thanks gents.

8. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

My Road King blew up. Oil pump failed and grenaded the engine. I've owned 100 motorcycles and only experienced two catastrophic engine failures, and that includes race bikes. Fuck Harley, I tried one and I'm done.

Sabre699 and Banditracer like this.
  9. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

I saw that new ADV bike of theirs the other day at a shop and a bunch of Harley guys were standing around gushing about how great it is. Looks kinda nice from some angles but if i were in the market i sure as hell wouldn't be picking that one. Nothing going on there that KTM and BMW haven't already done better.

10. Spang308

Spang308 Well-Known Member

They build them in my hometown. They're everywhere...and so are a plethora of oil stains on the asphalt.
    I equate them to two wheeled versions of the street rod phenomena. Rolling pieces of some sort of Americana artwork, but as motorcycles, they're pretty much useless. My one buddy has a homebuilt custom version based off a Fat Boy frame with a 2000cc S&S engine. It actually runs pretty well and doesn't hemorrhage oil all over the place. The bagger craze is all the rage around here. Dropped in the weeds and giant front wheels. Guess chicks dig em or some shit.

11. rd400racer

Yep, I rolled through York early morning last Friday. It took me 99 motorcycles and 53 years of riding to finally try a Harley. And truth is, I kind of dug the mellow cruise and instant torque of it. I had planned on only spending $5K and looked at about 6-8 bikes that seemed decent. I just happened to pick the one that had an underlying issue that would have been real hard to find. Getting it fixed would easily put me in the $3,000+ range and I'm not in the mood to screw with it. Shop that has it said they'd give me $2,100...I'm going to take my licks and learn my lesson. Besides, there's a 92 Ducati 900SS I'm looking at. Come on, what could go wrong:D

Spang308 likes this.
  12. Spang308

I have a garage full of older Ducs. Other than the valve checks and belts every 6k miles, they've all been reliable bikes. More needy than a Jap inline 4, but the ride is worth it to me. My Monster 900ie will likely stay with me forever. Being naked, it's also simple to work on. I can do belts and an oil change on that thing in an hour.

13. rd400racer

Yep, that's the story with my 01 Monster. Love it so much that I want another, and like you said they're really easy to work on. Should have bought it before the Harley and I wouldn't have any issues right now!

14. Spang308

I have entertained getting a newer one, but I keep talking myself out of it. I really like the aircooled layout with these. Pipes down low and not burning your legs. It's a nice bike for summer riding.
    I'm not a fan of the looks on the newer ones.

15. rd400racer

This is the one I'm looking at. Unfortunately it's 4 hours away. If it was close I'd already have it.

[​IMG]

Ducti89, Banditracer and cpettit like this.
  16. YoshiHNS

YoshiHNS Mr. Slowly

At VMD this year, had someone asking if we taught transmission rebuild classes at the garage or the shop class program. Told him no as that's a pretty specific course and would be different between bikes. He wanted to learn how to do it on his Harley as he was paying some mechanic/machinist to fix his transmission every year or something, and he was tired of paying him to do the work. Told him maybe he should just get a more reliable bike. Pretty sure the guy would have stabbed me if he had a long enough screwdriver for that comment.

TurboBlew and rd400racer like this.
  17. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Hope it's the lens but that house sure looks wonky. :confused:

18. rd400racer

That's Modern Cubism:D

19. Spang308

Solid advice. Shame on him for not taking it.

I used to buy bikes for a shop I did business with and frequently would ride them to him to deliver them. Every time I rode a Harley I wondered what the infatuation with them was. Slow, heavy, handles like shit, vibrates like it has a dead miss. I just don't get it.

20. Spang308

That thing is gorgeous. They have gotten quite a bit more expensive lately. Double in price from what I used to see a few years ago. Usually nice ones are 6,000ish now.

rd400racer likes this.