1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2014 Subaru Legacy? Any love? Hate?

Discussion in 'General' started by PistolPete, Sep 1, 2021.

1. PistolPete

PistolPete Fuck Cancer...

Wife needs a car. 82k miles, 2.5l engine. All Subaru’s have their CVT trans. Very clean, and all service, but...

2. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Don't know if it's still law but subaru used to be timing belt at 100K. Not 101K.

Ducti89 and rd400racer like this.
  3. YamRZ350

YamRZ350 Nicorette Dependent

2.5 liter engines are kinda notorious for head gaskets failing around 100,000 mi. or so.

Supposed to be fixed in the later models, but I'd take a look.

My wife's 2010 impreza was leaking oil from the heads at 80,000.

Ducti89 likes this.
  4. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Son's Outback was great at first and then all kinds of issues reared up, from head gasket to rear lights going out (bad wiring harness) to CV boots etc.

5. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

Subaru actually extended the warranty on their CVTs to convince people that an almost guaranteed $8000 dollar repair bill at 100k wasn't a big deal. I recently looked at a few of them but I wasn't willing to roll the dice. We bought my wife a clean Cadillac SRX instead. Decent used vehicles are as scarce as Honda MotoGP wins lately.

6. doppio

doppio Well-Known Member

2012+ 2.5 have timing chain, the later model the better the head gaskets and will usually start with weeping oil. The passenger inner cv boot is prone to failure over 100k from heat due to sitting above the catalyst. Doing one now on 130k 2010 Impreza (auto, not cvt), clean, grease and new boot, head gasket weeps oil so just monitor. Other than that, regular maintenance and been dead reliable.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2021
  7. A. Barrister

A. Barrister Well-Known Member

Head gaskets may be an issue, as I don't know if they updated them yet at that time for the N/A engines. The fix is to use the turbo MLS gaskets, if you are a DIY kind of person. The CVT trans though, would keep me from buying it. Period.

8. PistolPete

How about vs a 2011 328i at 95k miles? My wife has had and loved BMW’s, but I’ve always been able to take care of most of their niggling problems. That might not be the case much longer...

9. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

turbo 2.5??

10. PistolPete

No