1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

P trap burp back - AKB All Knowing Beeb

Discussion in 'General' started by zx6rfool, Aug 27, 2021.

1. zx6rfool

zx6rfool Stacks Wood

Used the P traps available at my local HW store. Great fit on one, the other seemed to be missing the correct flange. Bought another. Installed and constant micro lesks. These leaks are where the down spout meet the top of the p trap. My q is... is the angle of the drainage pipe to blame, or the gasket.

In my opinion it should never leak this high (3" above the junction) . I just had a single sink line converted to a double, the plumber did the work with in the drywall, I did everything else.

2. motoracer1100

motoracer1100 Well-Known Member

It shouldn’t leak .. take apart , and try pipe dope or Teflon tape on threads ..
    Edit: take picture and post

3. bullockcm

bullockcm Well-Known Member

If it is this style, either PVC or "metal" then there should be a gasket, no dope or tape needed. If the gaskets are in good shape and everything else matches try to run a sink full of really hot water thru it then snug the connections up. I suppose you should also make sure there are no down stream obstructions restricting flow as well. Edit to add... It seems obvious but make sure the tailpiece extends far enough into the P-trap so the gasket seats properly.

[​IMG]

tony 340 likes this.
  4. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

These come in 1.25 and 1.5 inch diameters. All connections have silicone or rubber gaskets, make sure they are in place. Make sure you are mating like to like. There are also adapters if needed.

5. PistolPete

PistolPete Fuck Cancer...

And make sure the ring gaskets are in right side up. Flat edge up, and sharp edge pointed into the trap...

beac83 likes this.
  6. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

Compression gaskets.

Make sure right side up as mentioned and hand tight plus 1/4 turn after hot water is all you need.

Pipe needs to be CLEAN

Tape and dope is useless on those.

7. zx6rfool

zx6rfool Stacks Wood

Tape did the trick. The quality on the p traps is trash.

motoracer1100 likes this.
  8. chwolfe

chwolfe Well-Known Member

Look for a local plumbing supply house. MUCH higher quality for similar prices. Don't trust your tape job to last.