1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Long Range Shooting Rifle Options

Discussion in 'General' started by BC, Oct 20, 2016.

1. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

Vx5hd will be great on that gun and my cousin has that rifle and shoots about any name brand hunting round you put in it.

buy a box of federal or Hornady 180gr bullet with either a partition
    , accubond or eldx and you’ll be good to go

JBraun likes this.
  2. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Awesome thank you. Did you ever get another bow? I remember a while ago you were interested in buying yours back.

I still have it but it’s been rendered a backup. I pickup up a carbon Hoyt RX-5 ultra this year. It’s silly.

3. Steak Travis

Picked up a Mathews vxr and love it. Shooting 60 yards comfortably and filled the freezer with deer meat with it last year. It’s time to start shooting again for oct!

mattys281 and JBraun like this.
  4. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Nice! Matthews was a close second when I bought my Hoyt. I can't believe how good new bows are. I tricked myself into believing that my (our?) old PSE was the same thing because it was fast. I never realized how hard it is to shoot accurately. My hoyt has stretched my comfort zone to 80 yards consistently, but I agree that 60 is about my limit on a live animal.

5. aftriathlete

aftriathlete Well-Known Member

Forgot about this thread, though I was asking questions a while back about hunting rifles. I just recently bought a Savage 220 20-gauge slug gun and I put a Vortex 3-9x40 optic on it. Went with the slug gun over rifle for now because I'm in PA this year so will be hunting in the dense woods of PA, so not likely I will be taking 200+ yard shots anyway, and a hunting area on a military base I can access here allows firearms but no rifles. So I figured I'd get the rifle of shotguns that can reach out reliably to 100-150 yds and worry about a rifle for next deer season after I move back out West next summer. Looking forward to October! Still gotta get to the range for some break-in and zero time with this gun next month though.

6. renegade17

renegade17 Well-Known Member

I have one of those 220s, silly accurate for a slug gun. I have had the best luck with Remington AccuTip slugs. It will lay backstraps down as fast as you can feed it ammo.

7. prm

prm Well-Known Member

I used to have Remington 870 12ga slug gun. That was the hardest kicking sob I’ve ever owned. Decided I’d rather hunt with my bow than that thing. My Kimber Montana in 338 Federal, and weighing only 6lb all-up, is tame compared to that thing.

8. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Let's you know you're alive !!
    Love me some 870...:D

9. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

I love shooting slugs, they are just fun. My Mossberg 500 has a 20" slug barrel and it will shoot into about 2" at 50 yds with open sights. I don't think I can hold much better than that. I can shoot a 4" 3 shot group at 100 with open sights using the Federal slugs that it likes.

10. Steak Travis

yeah these new bows are so nice. I think when that PSE came out they were just getting into the super fast bows and figuring them out. With this VXR I start shooting at 40 yards and go back from there and am shooting really tight groups. My Black gold sight is sweeeeet too. Just dial it up like a scope once you get the range and let loose.

11. assjuice cyrus

assjuice cyrus Well-Known Member

Funny this thread pops up. I was just talking to a buddy of mine about wanting to put together a long range rifle. But dont know really were to start. Can you get a decent 6.5 or 308 rifle for around a grand? Would like to be able to shoot a 1000yrds i think would be fun.

12. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

From my research, the scope will be your biggest expense, is that part of the grand?

assjuice cyrus likes this.
  13. prm

prm Well-Known Member

So many excellent 6.5CM and .308 rifles out there. Tikka T3X, Christensen, Bergara, Rem 700, Savage Model 10, Ruger Precision, …. Do you want a tactical style, typical hunting style, heavy, light, etc. Really hard to go wrong.

14. assjuice cyrus

No, just rifle. Thinking I may even go thermal or night vision. So I'm sure I'll have more in glass then rifle. Lol

speedluvn likes this.
  15. assjuice cyrus

I like the tactical style the best.

16. prm

prm Well-Known Member

The 'Tactical' looking rifles are generally more expensive, but most of these are close to $1k. Any number of personal reasons why one person will not like one model and prefer another, but good odds these would all shoot well. Don't overlook the Rugers. I had a cheap Ruger American in 6.5CM that shot as well as any rifle I've ever shot. Yes, it lacked some character, plastic stock, not very refined, but it would put a bullet where you wanted it.

Bolt actions:
    Savage 10: https://www.sportsmans.com/shooting...lack-bolt-action-rifle-65-creedmoor/p/1628912

Savage 10 BA Stealth: https://www.sportsmans.com/shooting-gear-gun-supplies/rifles/savage-10110-ba-stealth-rifle/p/p47435

Ruger Precision: https://www.sportsmans.com/shooting...es/ruger-precision-bolt-action-rifle/p/p42279

Bergara B14: https://www.sportsmans.com/shooting...wn-bolt-action-rifle-308-winchester/p/1440928

Tikka: https://www.sportsmans.com/shooting...less-bolt-action-rifle-65-creedmoor/p/1478038

Tikka (>$1000): https://www.sportsmans.com/shooting...ack-bolt-action-rifle-260-remington/p/1478037

There are also likely countless AR-10 variations, but I can't even begin to know where to start there.

Corey Bain likes this.
  17. Steak Travis

I think my long range days are numbered now the wife wants to move to Atlanta in the next year :( I'll be closer to the farm so that's good and could build a long range but the joy of it now is a fix for the time between going to the farm. The range I go to is super nice and is built around LR shooting so it's super convenient.

18. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Tikka CTR in 6.5 or Tikka Tac A1 in 6.5 would 100% be my recomendation. Of course I'm a little biased, seeing as I have 3(Tikka's, not necessarily 6.5's), and will be adding 2 more by spring.

Smoothest and highest quality actions from a factory gun, without going aftermarket.

Jed likes this.
  19. assjuice cyrus

20. prm

prm Well-Known Member

Yes, hence the >$1000 note! But Tikka makes some very fine rifles. I have one T3X right now. A T3X in 6.5 CM (includes longer mag box) is a very nice rifle! You could always get a chassis down the road to make it look more tactical.