1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Opinions wanted: for home workshop / garage: two or four post lift?

Discussion in 'General' started by Phl218, Aug 16, 2021.

?

which lift for a little maintenance / repair and mostly storage.

1. 2-post

16 vote(s)
    76.2%
  2. 4-post

5 vote(s)
    23.8%
  1. Phl218

Phl218 .

80% storage, 20% maintenance / repair. would need to be installed around a vehicle right now that has its drivetrain removed. (part of the reason to motivate me back on to this project, tired of scooting under the car on jack stands)

i can see the accessibility under the vehicle as big bonus with the 2-post, especially when doing wheels/brakes axles...

on the other hand, when not in use for wrenching, i'd have a car up there and one underneath... 4-posts seem to be safer and sturdier for that.

power is not the issue, my genny can supply the 220 for the time it needs actuation.

2. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

4 post with a rolling jack bridge.

Phl218 likes this.
  3. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

4 post if you have the room.

Phl218 likes this.
  4. BHP41

BHP41 Calling out B.A.N. everyday

2 post. There’s no reason to have a 4 post as it’s too much room taken up and doesn’t give you the flexibility a two post does.
    There’s also no issue with having a vehicle sitting on a two post lift. When you lift the vehicle for an extended period of time, the lifts have locks that you should lower them on. Zero chance of it falling.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2021
    cav115 and Phl218 like this.
  5. Mechdziner714

Mechdziner714 More Gas Less Brakes

What is the minimum slab thickness for a 2 post vs 4?

Phl218 likes this.
  6. R Acree

R Acree Banned

More posts are more better.

Phl218 likes this.
  7. Venom51

Phl218 likes this.
  8. Phl218

Phl218 .

4” for the 2 post I’m looking at. It also offers stability bars on the outside of the feet.

9. vfrket

vfrket Lost Member

Your choice, we just want the picts in the oddball thread when you crush one with the other....

Killswitch, Phl218 and BigBird like this.
  10. Phl218

Phl218 .

The idea of dropping an engine with all the stuff in the way with a 4-post is just not appealing.

the Audi has a lot of shrouds and cross bracing that looks much easier to being removed with 2 posts.
    Ima drill in the slab and see how far I get. I know the previous owner didn’t skip anything other than he preferred nails over screws on everything I see wood structure wise

11. mikek

mikek Well-Known Member

we installed a 2 post Bendpac in our shop, 6" slab, 25' ceilings. My son works on jeeps, lifts everything we ever needed lifting, F350, skid steer, Mercedes SL320.

12. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

Will the car parked on the lift be full frame or monocoque?

13. Venom51

Bigger question is will it be 100% leak free. One lift can be made to deal with a leaker. The other will ruin the car parked under it. You said 80% storage and 20% work.

baconologist likes this.
  14. SpeedyE

SpeedyE Experimental prototype, never meant for production

Lathe & Mill & Welder! :)

Phl218 likes this.
  15. Phl218

Phl218 .

No frame cars all unibody

16. Phl218

Phl218 .

good point. I’d have to check the ‘75 Mercedes… that’d be the only one losing a drop a week somewhere. All others are dry as … well lemme stop here

17. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

18. Trainwreck

Trainwreck I could give a heck

Definitely get a 2 post. They are fine for storage when on the locks. Only real risk with a 2 post is user error, and dropping the car off the lift. In theory this can also happen with a 4 post but it is only coming off the back. Not dropping down.

The shop I'm affiliated with once stored my 7500lb truck over a long weekend while we waited on parts. Underneath, was parked a 1200hp Audi R8 we built a twin turbo kit for that was in for maintenance. $100K car with a $100K shop note.. Don't think they would have risked that if a 2 post wasn't safe for storage.. I have a picture of it somewhere. We all thought it was funny.

2 post also has less shit in your way, and is easier to move around under the vehicle for repair/maintenance. I think 2 posts might need more pad over a 4 post, but if you have sufficient floors, I would 100% ALWAYS spring for the 2 post.

cav115 likes this.
  19. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

A quality 2 post gives you more versatility for when you are repairing, and costs less and takes minimal space.

20. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

I had a 12k 2-post, set in a 4” slab of shitty concrete, and put a clutch in the big purple doooooooley off it. You’ll be fine with your piddly-assed Owdies. :moon: