1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Difference between novice and experts

Discussion in 'General' started by 1fast929, Jun 14, 2004.

1. Joe Morris

Joe Morris Off The Reservation

I actually looked upon my season of frustration last year as the bad karma I'd taken on by hanging around to win a Novice championship. Heck, my pursuit was already looking far more difficult than I'd planned because there is always a new crop of fast guys that seem to come from nowhere and contend right away. Now, as an Expert, my opinion of a Novice championship is far different. But, as CUDA points out, I never won one.

I was talking to a Novice guy at Summit while waiting in the post-race tech line. He was bummed because he had finished 4th (I think). I usually could care less if I don't win. Anyway, he wanted a plaque really bad and I thought that was cool. He said "....look at me, I'm in my 50's, my grand kids come to watch me race! I haven't got much time to hang around this sport and I really want a trophy." He was also kinda upset because he thought some sandbaggers were getting between him and the podium. I felt for him and for the first time I felt bad for hanging around the Novice ranks after I was ready for Expert.

2. atl_hooligan

atl_hooligan Well-Known Member

Seems like the best way to get away from cherry-pickin' novices is to move up to Expert yourself!

:D :D :D

I don't see the novice class as a destination, but rather a short stop along the road, so I could care less about so called sandbaggers.

:D :D :D

3. Speedballer

Speedballer Banned

Piss up a rope, Buddy ;)

4. nicoloff

nicoloff Well-Known Member

I don't see the novice class as a destination, but rather a short stop along the road, so I could care less about so called sandbaggers.Quote

No it's not a destination, but it's not fair to the new guys of the year and not have a chance to win contingencies when you do have a couple of guys that run years after years in the novice class.

Novice class is the first few years to learn and pick the pace up and then go expert. I've been around for a while as a spectator '84and as a racer going back to Fritz Kling, my brother(Shawn Nicoloff), Ray Yoder, Ed Key...all of these guys were novices for 2 years and became experts at the same time. Every year there are a few guys that shine above everybody and they deserve the spotlight. They are earning it. Not somebody who has been racing that class for over 5 years and nursing all of the contingencies. So yes it does matter.

Barnett was winning the GLRRA championship in 99

5. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

ahhh.. A rider should be able to run 1 full season as an AM no matter what, even if they win every race they enter. Why should someone not have the right to contest the National CHmpsp. as an AM. Yes, it is only and AM championship but a national championship nevertheless. Upon the second season, if you win races as an AM.. i agree you have no business running AM. National championships turn heads. Jamie Hacking won like 8?? COlin Edwards won em all in CCS and WERA .. there are sure to be others.

6. MELK-MAN

Rick is not exactly slow...

7. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

Now Nicoloff - Which Barnett was that..

Calvin Barnett
    Wayne Calvin Barnett
    Calvin Wayne Barnett
    Wayne Barnett

I can't remember because it chnges so much...

8. Putter

Putter Ain't too proud to beg

Has WERA ever bumped an expert back to novice for being too slow? Does any race org. do this? Just curious.

9. Zanyeights

Zanyeights Well-Known Member

...and to think I was worried we were going to make it halfway through the season without a "cherry picker" thread. Nevermind.

Hey Richard (RHood)...any of this sounds familiar?

Too funny.

10. Zanyeights

I am glad they don't!!! lol

I would probably be on that short list!!

11. Fuzzy317

Fuzzy317 a Crash Truck near you

I think WERA has done this, but the expert agreed with the move.

12. aod99

aod99 Administrator

13. Zanyeights

Very nice ref Sam. I remembered that one in particulay but when you do a search on cherry picking 109 threads show up!

14. Schutte 513

Schutte 513 Active Member

hey wayne i will bring the WINE,
    ah-hell never mind there is plenty of that already
    lets race

brant schutte #513

15. slowohioboy

slowohioboy Well-Known Member

You know what, I think this whole thread is ridiculous. I've only been roadracing about a year now. I sucked at the first few races last year(my 1st), but those fast guys that you are all bitching about are the ones that you can learn from. Quit criing about who should and shouldn't be a novice, and start figuring out why they are faster than you. I could have stayed novice this year, and realized that the move up would eventually make me a better racer.

Last year there was a post that was almost the same as this one. At the time it make me mad because I thought that I was being beaten by guys that should have been out of my classes. By the end of the year I could beat any of them on a given day, but it was a hell of a learning curve to get there. Without the fast novices the rest of them would have a much harder time getting up to speed. You know who they are, get behind one of them in practice, stay behind them and see what they do different.

16. Handicapped Racer

Handicapped Racer Well-Known Member

I disagree on that point, you may have one or two fast ccs guy in the ma region other than that the guys who run wera are crushing the ccs regulars! lol and i can name names. Now if you say differently tell me how come in a 7-8 lap race. how i can start dead last in the row break of the second wave and by turn 3 be in the middle of the first wave. 2 on the third lap be in 5th, hit the rumble strip going into third bend my shifter and drop down to 25's for the next two laps. Pit get a wrench from steve clark on pit row bend my shifter back in place, the wrench gets stuck on the lever, get off the bike and remove it get back on and continue the race and still get a 10th place finish!:rolleyes:

17. Barnett#83

Barnett#83 Well-Known Member

Nicoloff if you read this you know my number if you need to say something to or about me . Is this about in Gateway and Michelle?Or because im faster or a better person!

Last edited: Jun 17, 2004
  18. MELK-MAN

(dont know where ma region is but ..) RObert Jensen, Mike Barnes, Steve Rapp, Vincent H, Mike Smith, Frank Trombino, Jesse Janish...should i continue?? fast guys in CCS and WERA :D

19. Geoff Doyer

Geoff Doyer Well-Known Member

Terrance will kick all of their asses even with a bent shifter ;)

20. jigmoore

jigmoore Banned

well, if the thread is ridiculous....don't reply to it.

if someone talked about this before....sorry, i know i haven't been on this bbs very long, and i don't spend 24/7 making sure i don't repeat some subject.

my point was not compaining about guys faster than me...it was simply replying to mongo's question about rules. i feel that as long as the top 5 point finishers in novice are moved to expert each year, we are all set.

try to be constructive...rather than attacking.