1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pool Maintenance

Discussion in 'General' started by BigBird, Oct 24, 2017.

1. Phl218

Phl218 .

golden showers included.

2. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

Mine are low voltage.

3. joec

joec brace yourself

Who was the pool guy here??? I can't remember who it was?

4. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

@2Fer

BigBird and joec like this.
  5. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Did we just hit some kinda algae bloom season or something???

I haven't super duper kept the chlorine ppm in spec all winter, but I've kept the pool pretty damn clean, and (somewhat unfortunately) there are no trees close enough to dump leaves into it.

Looked out yesterday morning and I was waiting for The Creature to come climbing out of the nasty muck.

What the hell? How can that crap just blow up overnight?

6. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Keep an eye out. Adrienne Barbeau might follow Swamp Thing out! ;)

auminer likes this.
  7. auminer

Adrienne Bar-boobs!!!! :Putter::Putter:

pickled egg likes this.
  8. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

9. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

Doug?

Boman Forklift likes this.
  10. Used2befast

Used2befast Well-Known Member

I am a pool guy...I care for my salt pool but I'm in Texas. You will need a algaecide and a pool shock. 1st shock pool then add the algaecide. How much algaecide will depend on how bad it is.

For starters...
    1. Buy a box of shock for either chlorine or salt pool.
    2. KEEP 1 GAL muriatic acid on hand at all times.
    3. Buy a box of chlorine tabs
    4. Keep min of 5lbs of baking soda. Cheap Walmart stuff works too.
    5. Run pool pump daily ( in summer it may need to run 8 hours or more)

Find a pool store that will check your water. Once they give you a good water reading you will attack with pool shock and then algaecide.

Hope this helps.

BigBird and auminer like this.
  11. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

Save money and just use bleach instead.

12. Dave_SV

Dave_SV Well-Known Member

13. auminer

I saw that a couple of days ago. Went on Amazon to get a 50# bucket of it. When I clicked on the link, it said 'only 10 left'. I read the product description a minute or so and clicked on add to cart. It said 'only 6 left'. I click checkout and paid. Went back to the item page and hit refresh. "item unavailable".

Just that fast.

Mine's on the way, though. :D

14. Used2befast

Thats why I have a salt pool...I don't need chlorine in summer. I forgot 1 thing in my list. You will also need chlorine stabilizer. It prevents the sun from eating up the chlorine. I use a cup in the skimmer once a month.

15. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

Large algae blooms will not be managed with Chlorine; too much biological demand. You need copper for lasting control.
    Pool chemistry is fun. Get the pro-kit and keep it in spec 24/7. There are six key tests: pH, alkalinity (as carbonate), free chlorine, Calcium ion, and cyanuric acid (chlorine stabilizer).

BigBird likes this.
  16. Used2befast

1st step will be to SHOCK POOL...then watch water. If it clears up significantly then you may not need algaecide but my guess is you will. Run your pool pump 24 hours after adding shock. Get sample and go get store to analyze water.

BigBird likes this.
  17. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

I have the Taylor kit, and chlorine absolutely kills large algae blooms.

I get my CYA up to ~50 to start the season and then keep it in the 30-50 range. With that range I add a jug of Walmart bleach every two or three days and I'm good.

18. Dave_SV

Dave_SV Well-Known Member

Salt water convert here, just need some jugs of liquid chlorine to help jump start the pool slam in the beginning then it's easy going from there.

BigBird likes this.
  19. 05Yamabomber

05Yamabomber Dammit Haga

If your pool is green, I wouldnt bother wasting money on shock. I would just drain, clean the filters, and fill. the PPM will still be trashed and you are just better off starting over. If your pool turned south quick, the pump could have stopped working or you just forgot that the last time you added Chlorine was weeks. Pools are pretty simple atleast in warmer climates. I was a pool guy for 5 years. Clean your filters every 6 months. Run the pump 4 hours a day in winter, 6-8 hours a day in summer. Brush the sides of the pool once a week and keep the chlorine level up. Easy. I have a massive pool now. Prob 30K gallons. We dont freeze here but it gets down to the 30's at night in middle of winter.

20. Used2befast

Its like 3 dollars for a bag of shock that will care for a 10-12k gallon pool...draining and refilling is gonna be way more costly.