1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TIL Bilstein Sells Carbon Fiber Motorcycle Wheels

Discussion in 'General' started by BigBird, Apr 15, 2021.

1. Monsterdood

Monsterdood Well-Known Member

So who makes these? Bilstein will distribute, but who designed them and made them? Just curious.

2. Jed

Jed mellifluous

Durrani.

3. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

4. rice r0cket

rice r0cket Well-Known Member

I looked when they first came one, most of the one ones posted weren't really cracks, it's just dumb people. There was maybe one or two examples of actual problems.

5. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

I'm all for function over form, but c'mon. The lower stanchions are beautifully machined but the fork cap looks like it should be hanging from a 4th grader's gym locker.

In a market segment that's already overcrowded with functional products, it's going to have to work way better than anything else out there to get away with being that ugly.

Attached Files:

6. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

Or just cheaper to manufacture.

7. Odilup

Odilup Well-Known Member

Actually the cracking ones are from another supplier, not Thyssen Krupp.

The TK wheels as spec'ed on the HP4 Race are sweet.

BigBird and notbostrom like this.
  8. BigBird

BigBird blah

While their focus is more for the streets than track, I'm winning or podium with their current B16/PSS10 coilover setup. Yes it can be more track focused for sure, but at least for the car it's not bad, and are rebuildable.

Their parent company, thyssenkrupp

9. Ya the TK wheels are pretty damn good, honestly shocked they even bothered making them for such a small market (for them).

BigBird likes this.
  10. backbone

backbone scarred for life

A buddy put them on his vette and the preload is actually ride height adjustment. :) Lots of slop if cresting a rise. imo, they are dangerous.

11. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

That is what preload does, regardless of shock brand or car.

metricdevilmoto, 418 and BigBird like this.
  12. backbone

Preload preloads the spring correct? Yes, that affect RH
    When you "preload" the spring on these BS shocks is does NOT PL the spring. It only raises the car. There is several inches of slop. So if cresting a hill the spring will float. IE. no fucking PL. Get it?

13. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

So, I'm looking at the pics for the BS EVO T1 shock... has both a ride height AND preload adjustment. They're separate adjusters. EVO R, separate adjusters. Are you missing a part?

metricdevilmoto likes this.
  14. TWF2

Probably has helper spring. Spring on top of spring. When extended there is no preload on main spring but when car is sitting on the ground helper spring is compressed and so is main spring.
    Helper spring is there to take care of slap. He is probably running to stiff main spring.

metricdevilmoto and BigBird like this.
  15. backbone

No helpers, helpers are bs anyway for most apps. It's because they want to have this shock fit a million apps.

16. TWF2

They are there if you run to stiff springs, or you would have no extension.
    If there is no helper then it should be one because it sounds like shock is long and you have negative preload on extension. Preload does work as it should and preloads spring and raises car but only when car is sitting on the ground.
    Once car unloads it gets in to negative preload and spring just slaps around. So, he needs helper spring or shorter shock and live without droop.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  17. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

[​IMG]
    there's something missing here...

Last edited: Apr 19, 2021
    418 likes this.
  18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

What in the world does preload have to do with an airborn car? If the car is floaty at full extension it seems like you have some other things to fix.

RightSideUp and BigBird like this.
  19. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

I mean, I am far from an expert on bike geometry or physics, but I still fail to see how this would be possible without causing the wheel axle to twist when the sprung side would compress and rebound at a different rate than the valved side.

Has this type of system been implemented in bikes before to any measured success?

fastfreddie likes this.
  20. TWF2

Yes many times. It is all one piece when assembled so it does not matter what is inside each leg.