1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would you buy a 20+ year old vehicle as a daily driver?

Discussion in 'General' started by sharkattack, Mar 31, 2021.

1. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

No. I don’t like dealing with bullshit and I don’t have nostalgia for commuter vehicles. They’re overpriced appliances. Save the emotion and headaches for your toys.

SuddenBraking and BigBird like this.
  2. Trainwreck

Trainwreck I could give a heck

To be honest, it's a big son of a bitch.. If the parent material (frame) is too far gone there will be nothing to weld to, and it will be super easy to blow holes into the frame. We ended up tying a plate another 18" down the frame rail on each side of each frame rail.

3rd Gens are my favorite.. If I had time, id just re-frame one.. I've always wanted to build a pre-runner style 4Runner anyway. My friend Jasper owns the old Total Chaos Fab development 4Runner. He jumps the shit out of this thing, and blasts through trails with it all the time. It has more of an Overlander style build going on with it now.

Talking about Toyota reliability... I believe his engine has almost 300k on it, and it's had a TRD supercharger most of its life. Runs like a top.

Attached Files:

L8RSK8R, USracer900, K51000 and 2 others like this.
  3. BigBird

BigBird blah

that looks like fun...also those front hella lamps are not centered.

4. K51000

K51000 Well-Known Member

Well hell, I'll be taking my 2001 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab, 4.7L V8, manual RWD to Autobahn with my K5 1000 in the back for a TD in late May.
    It's got 259K miles on it! Only on my second clutch too. Oh hell, I just jinxed it didn't I?

BigBird likes this.
  5. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

pffft.... i had a daily driver 2001 dodge quad cab, 2wd with the 3.9 v6 and over 400k miles.

sold it for nothin after trans went out

K51000 likes this.
  6. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I bought a 98 International diesel, roll back, tow truck, in 07 with 290k miles, it now has 415k. I figured it would never need replaced while I own this forklift company.

Good old California changed the laws and all commercial diesels have to meet 2010-12 standards and have DEF. So you either re-power it or take a bath selling it and buying a newer less reliable truck.

7. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

My friend Ian makes a very good living in California after he saw a market for his business, he left Donaldson and opened.

www.emissions-services.com

He can put emissions on your old truck but you'll have to make his boat payment first.:crackup:

Phl218 likes this.
  8. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

I daily my 98 c1500. Once it was paid off I started spending the payment on upkeep, its never ending. If you can work on things yourself its a great idea. If you can't, don't bother.

9. Boman Forklift

Yea, don’t think it’s worth sinking a bunch of money in an old truck to add stuff that will probably decrease the reliability to less than the OEM newer stuff.

10. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

Have one of your friends out of state sell it on Facebook....then just have it shipped to the buyer.

11. ducrcr

ducrcr reasonably fast old guy

I daily an '03 Jetta tdi wagon, 315k and keeps on chugging along.

BigBird and Phl218 like this.
  12. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

This.

13. PMooney Jr.

PMooney Jr. Chasing the Old Man

What are you doing to kill these Hondas and Toyotas!?

:crackup:

I don't really drive anymore as I walk to work but my go-to daily when I needed to was my 89 Isuzu Trooper. Taught both our kids to drive in it also when they were 9 (manual trans) Rock solid old shitbox.

K51000 likes this.
  14. Boman Forklift

I guess I am proving they can be killed. two of them almost 200k and the head gasket at 269k.

15. PMooney Jr.

PMooney Jr. Chasing the Old Man

It's almost unheard of so one person taking out three of em' in a row is some sort of record I think!

16. WillMill

WillMill CRA MN #633

I killed a Toyota 22re at 125k, blew a frost plug and overheated. It still ran, but blew a head gasket a few months later. A few years ago, I blew an 01 civic at 160k. At about 150k it started consuming about a quart of oil to every tank of gas. Then at 160k, the CEL started flashing on my way to work, the #1 cylinder was dead. However, I drove it another 35 miles to work, and the 70 miles home after that. Id be curious to know how long it would have lasted on three cylinders. I bought a junkyard motor with 100k on it, and have put another 60k on that motor currently, and am still driving it with no issues.

K51000, Boman Forklift and BigBird like this.
  17. damiankelly

damiankelly Well-Known Member

Say it ran just fine...

Only you can answer if you want to drive a 20 year old technology truck everyday.

Updates you need to be fine with not having
    -Suspension/ handling-
    -Comfort-
    - lighting-
    -storage-
    -charging/ Bluetooth ( I know ..can be done)
    -dimmed mirrors/ tinted windows.. all the BS. :)

BigBird and Boman Forklift like this.
  18. Boman Forklift

Well I can’t really take credit for the parts truck. I’ve probably only driven 5-10k of its 269k miles. I wasn’t the one driving it when it needed a radiator, heater core, or clutch.

I’m actually glad i was driving it when it started to overheat and I saved it without doing any damage. My employees managed to blow up my old 79 Ford tow truck with a big bock (460 I think) in it 2 different times, even after I put a rev limiter in it.

That’s why I went to the international diesel tow truck in 08.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2021
  19. sanee

sanee Well-Known Member

@Trainwreck guess ill relive this thread since im searching and tempted to buy a 2001 4runner for taking it off roading as ive always wanted to do it. Found a few in the area but the 2001 stood out as its 1 owner, 200k miles and looks the cleanest out of all ive seen. Wish it was manual but from what ive seen those are like unicorns. Guy wants $8k for it which is why its been almost 3 weeks and he still has it.