1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Alpinestars suit fitment of new airbag compatible suits vs old

Discussion in 'General' started by Chako, Mar 29, 2021.

1. Chako

Chako Well-Known Member

Can you guys weigh in..
    All suits now seem to be airbag compatible, which i've been told changes the sizing a bit to make room for the system, even if it's not used. Also i heard that there were weird sizing between lines of suit.. im not really going to get the airbag stuff for now..

My last 2 suits were the ATEM suits and i always wore an off the shelf 40 (eu-50). They were good mid range suits that crashed well and fit me well (im like 5'10, 160lb)

I'm looking at the missile, missile ignition and gp pro suits.. they are prob 2020 stock or 2019.

do i stick with the same sizing or up/down size? i can't try these on, i have to order it and then im pretty much stuck with it so would like to make an educated choice. if anyone has tried these and owned older suits can you weigh in?

Thanks!!!

2. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

their size charts are pretty accurate. Im a US 46 in Alpinestars 1 pieces. The GP pro I tried on was perfect with no airbag or supplemental padding but plenty of room to put them in. I usually wear armored shorts and a back protector.

3. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

I just bought a Missle suit. STG told me they ran a little big. We tried a 46 (I am usually a 48) and it was too small. I would say the sizing is accurate assuming the 48 that’s arriving tomorrow fits.

4. Chino52405

Chino52405 Well-Known Member

I wear the same size airbag vs non for Astars. No idea what specific suits I have for either though.

5. Chako

Chako Well-Known Member

thanks homeys

6. 05Yamabomber

05Yamabomber Dammit Haga

Well,
    I have always been a 56 euro which fit great in A*. I just bought a new A* Tech Air compatible and its smaller for sure. Right now its a 2 person job getting the suit on. Especially in the arms. If you are athletic at all in the arms its going to be tight. These are made for guys with biceps the size of my wrist. Overall its just tighter. I also dropped 35lbs since my last suit so I know its not cause I gained weight. I have been wearing it around the house before season started but just had one race weekend on it and it was so cold I didnt really sweat in it. Its getting better but still....

on the Sportbike Track gear website they do recommend going 1 size up from your old size due to the new A* fitment. I didnt because once you get to a size 58 euro its like total fat guy suit and I am not fat, just have some decent size arms. Hope this helps.

RonR likes this.
  7. RonR

RonR Well-Known Member

My exact same experience only I’m not jacked. I would almost go as far to say the size is close to the same and they didn’t give enough room for the vest.

8. TurboBlew

Um the difference in a 56 vs 58 is 8cm in the chest/waist areas/height Hardly "fat guy" territory. If you have guns then its a real good possibility you're going to have to add a larger stretch panel on the inside of the arm area. Not an apples to apples comparison.
    Especially if you were always a 56 and lost 35lbs . What dimension on the techair compatible makes the suit fit like a "fat guy"? Even in the ride position?

9. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

The better question is, does the suit make your ass look bigger? :Poke:

10. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

I hadn’t bought a suit in a while due to hiatus but my tech air absolute fits nearly identical to the race replica I bought in 2010.

11. Suzuka_joe

Suzuka_joe Well-Known Member

i went down a size from my gp tech v2 to my absolute suit.

12. Gravisman

Gravisman Well-Known Member

I just tried on a GP tech v2 with a back protector but no airbag vest and it fit pretty perfect. When I get the tech air race, is that intended to replace the back protector or add to it?

13. TurboBlew

I wear one regardless. A proper back protector is low profile enough to fit between the suit/bag & the body.

14. sdiver

sdiver Well-Known Member

I went up from 52 to 54 from my Atem to a Missile in order to fit the airbag. Wore armor padded shorts to take up extra room in the seat.

15. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

I just pinged my buddy. He works for Alpinestars. We will see if he chimes in

16. Suzuka_joe

the Tech Air Race airbag takes place of the traditional back protector. no way do you need a secondary back protector with one.

Spooner likes this.
  17. Gravisman

Gravisman Well-Known Member

yeah sportbiketrack gear told me today that the tech air race vest has an incorporated back protector, so no need.

18. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

So I got the 48 and it fits like a glove. If I was an AMA guy I would go with it and a thin chest protector but alas I am not and want to wear a back and chest protector just in case the air bag doesn't deploy so it will be going back for a 50. I would say you should still go up a size in Astars. JMHO

19. Suzuka_joe

depends on the suit, some newer suits like the absolute you drop a size. I went from a 52 to a 50 when I got my absolute