1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lumber: Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Discussion in 'General' started by 1kk8, Mar 22, 2021.

1. 1kk8

1kk8 Well-Known Member

This is getting down right ridiculous

Attached Files:

2. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

It’s absolutely insane. I thought shit was bad 15 or so years ago when drywall prices went nuts but this is an entire other level.

3. Matt kamman

Matt kamman Member

Yeah, I’m a custom home builder. I can’t even make a quote right now with the prices changing so fast. Yet we are getting calls almost daily for new homes. Crazy time

4. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

I'm on the tail end of my building project and took some leftover 1/2" CDX back to the supply house for credit. For the order I placed in November I bought the sheets at $30, last week the same sheets were priced at $45/ea, the guy at the counter said he can't even buy it at that price

5. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

So the next time someone whines about "affordable housing" point them to evil retailers... hehe

ducnut and Phl218 like this.
  6. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Yep.
    I need some 2x4's to finish up some stuff on my shop. I refuse to pay like $7-8 for scraggly ass 2x4x8'.

I put in some heavy duty shelves last week. 3 sheets of 3/4 cdx sheathing were about the same price as the shelving pieces.

thanks covid...

7. DrA5

DrA5 The OTHER Great Dane

And China......

SpeedWerks Racing likes this.
  8. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

I have 30 acres of standing trees...mostly red oak, hemlock, white pine and a little cherry. I keep getting bugged by foresters to sell it off. I like a deep dark woods, hate thought of raping it just for the cash.

Pixelator, ducnut and Phl218 like this.
  9. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Sell them the cherry

10. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

There are lots of people and organizations one can blame for lumber prices. But that is a dungeon topic...

Pixelator likes this.
  11. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

I have 40 of mixed hard/softwoods. I'm building a sawmill :D. Prices are nuts.

12. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

And they can keep it.

13. FZRCraig

FZRCraig Offensive to Most

Not trolling, but the tariffs on Canadian lumber has not helped the situation.

joec and E Reed like this.
  14. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Neither has demand remaining strong in spite of the prices.

TurboBlew and cav115 like this.
  15. motoracer1100

motoracer1100 Well-Known Member

I’ve been using Steel studs on the walls of my Timber frame structure.. price is reasonable, all are perfectly straight and plumb and easy to cut with aviation snips . Only have to rip a few wood 2x4 ‘s to fit into the steel ones where I am setting a door . No mess and saw dust to clean up . Will never used wood studs again .

Phl218, Sabre699 and ducnut like this.
  16. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

Bingo.

17. Booger

Booger Well-Known Member

I’m the opposite as you, I cannot stand working with steel studs. Hate everything about them. I’ll happily pay $6 for wood studs not to have to use metal.

I’m a carpenter, not a steel worker!

18. sidepipe79

sidepipe79 Well-Known Member

I am planning on finishing 1300sqft of my basement. I will be looking into steel studs to do this. Wont be able to afford wood studs to do it.

rd49 likes this.
  19. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

It's awesome!

I have a very good excuse as to why my house details aren't entirely finished!.....

20. motoracer1100

motoracer1100 Well-Known Member

I was a sheet metal worker .. so right back at ya ! :D