1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mercury Marine just changed the game.........

Discussion in 'General' started by DrA5, Feb 11, 2021.

1. Odilup

Odilup Well-Known Member

7 got bought by Volvo then they shit canned it. They had issues though for sure.

2. Buell1965

Buell1965 Well-Known Member

JOHNSONRUDE on my ranger , fast strike thats been very reliable for many years .

rd400racer likes this.
  3. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Right. But, 7 Marine “changed the game” before Mercury Marine came to the game with this unit.

I really hope someone like Billy Freeman steps up, connects with the Davis family, and reintroduces the design.

Volvo, and their agenda, can suck it.

4. Odilup

Odilup Well-Known Member

They were a game changer for sure. Mercury engineers at that.

5. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

One of our customers had one of these with a 180+ motor (Probably a Johnsrude). Bout near sank the boat at the dock when he and his fisherman crew got in it. Had to reinforce the daylights out of the transom with struts to the midships and etc. But it was wicked. His next step was putting two motors on it, by that time I had moved on so I never saw it in the flesh.
    [​IMG]

6. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

Three outboards on that dingy?

Shiiit.

Nothing could go wrong...

7. joec

joec brace yourself

Nice boat. I wish people around here kept their boats that clean. Floating dumpsters.

8. Odilup

Odilup Well-Known Member

Thank you sir. 2005 hull with 2013 motors but she shows very well for her age.

9. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

Ugh no I don't. It weighs 1260 lbs and is close to 100K in price, and is designed for a HEAVY ass boat. I'd replace my current 300 and sell it then get a 450 that weighs around half (680) and costs about 55K. And the diff with weight I'll go as fast or faster with a 450

Last edited: Feb 12, 2021
  10. Skrawny

Skrawny Well-Known Member

I'll stick to my $1000 30hp Rude tiller!

11. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Working at a Mercury Dealer our Master Techs say a lot of good things about these. With the exception of the weight. I will post some service reviews soon...

12. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

Not sure where all the hate comes from for the Mercs. Growing up, we've had 3 of them on 2 boats going back 40 years. Ran the piss out of them, in salt water, too. The only time I've had to call Sea Tow was on my buddy's 25 Dusky- his 200 Evinrude blew up. Kinda like the Ford vs. Chevy argument, I guess.

Now we're in the Yamaha club. My brother and I just bought a boat with twin Yamaha 425's. Light years ahead of the old days. We would have ordered the twin 300 Mercs, but my brother couldn't wait.

13. Quicktoy

Quicktoy Is it Winter yet?

People who don’t know the Verado line don’t know how bullet proof they’ve been since their inception. My dads got two 300s that are twelve years old. He’s ran the shit out of them and they keep going in salt water. Quiet as all get out too.

To the OP. This engine is a game changer to me because the CTSV powered outboards are blowing up I hear and that’s all anyone has had at the Miami boat show for the last two years. Merc needed to make a similar but more reliable engine. Glad they did. That being said, I live in Sarasota Florida, grew up in Grand Cayman, and could care less if I ever went out on a boat again lol. Give me -20 and a snowboard year round and I’d be a happy camper.

Razr likes this.
  14. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Funny, how what we grew up with we no longer want. I grew up in Illinois and grew tired of cold weather and shoveling snow, no way I could handle being in the cold year round. LOL

ducnut, Quicktoy and tony 340 like this.
  15. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

Minnesota was something like -25 yesterday

My buddy out there was ice fishing in April a few years ago

16. Quicktoy

Quicktoy Is it Winter yet?

Mine is more of a health thing. I have a tumor on my pituitary gland that throws off my hormones. I’m always hot. I grew up in the south and went to the University of Vermont and only applied there, UNH, U of Maine and U of Col Boulder. I chose UVM cause the mountains were closest lol. Problem was I was snowboarding 7 days a week, parents realized it and I transferred to Riddle in Daytona to become a commercial pilot. 9/11 happened, I graduated, no jobs, learned to race. Lol.

17. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

Ponds and small lakes will have safe ice potentially into May this year, barring a crazy sustained warm-up. My buddy just got back from his place in Marinette county. 18” of ice.

18. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

Exact summary of my 1st year at Michigan Tech.

Washout rate there for freshman year is like 1 in 4.

19. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Well that makes sense you would want to live in a colder climate. How did you get into the Pawn shop business?

I also no longer do what I went to school for. I was a programmer (computer science degree) and moved into sales with that first company back in late 86 and never programmed again. Worked in software for 20 years and got the bright idea I wanted to work for myself, which is how I bought a forklift repair company.

20. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Where in MI are there mountains for snowboarding? I havent seen any?

tony 340 likes this.