1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mercury Marine just changed the game.........

Discussion in 'General' started by DrA5, Feb 11, 2021.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Wonder where they find an outlet in the middle of a lake or bay or the like :D

borislav and Ducti89 like this.
  2. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Generator boat and a cord.

3. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

Solar panels :D

OldSchlPunk likes this.
  4. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

Same place you would find a fuel station in the middle of a lake or bay.

rafa, pscook and Rebel635 like this.
  5. badmoon692008

badmoon692008 Well-Known Member

The big reason is use case, environment, and mounting constraints. These engines are designed to survive 500 hours at WOT with nothing more than a few oil changes. The HP is also measured at the prop so that results in lower numbers than the crank figures normally stated in other industries.

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

You can carry way way way more hours worth of fuel than battery charge.

7. elvee

elvee Well-Known Member

Nah, little paddle wheels sticking out the sides of the hull that drive little generator units. Works just like hydro power!

Razr likes this.
  8. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

I/O's are pretty old fashioned these days and a small block marine engine that makes 600 HP will survive for about 20 hours. Countless racecar guys dipped their toe in marine engines and most left with their tails tucked. It's a different animal when you operate under those sustained loads.

Most 600hp marine I/O's are supercharged 502's running really low compression.

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I can't believe no one said wind turbine.

10. Jim Moore

Jim Moore Well-Known Member

When I was a tiny lad my father taught the most important thing about boating. He'd make me repeat it every now and then, just I'd remember.

He'd say, "What's the most important thing about boating, son?"

I'd reply, "Never buy a Mercury, daddy."

"That's right, son. Now go get daddy a beer."

Many, many children of my era learned this crucial bit of information at their father's knee.

rd400racer and pscook like this.
  11. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

Oars are usually the fallback.

Or is that 'out' now?...

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Hipsters are into I'm sure.

joec and Ducti89 like this.
  13. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

Yeah but the thrust is to die for:D

14. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

As a kid growing up in the San Juan islands where everyone had a boat, I can attest to this truth. I have a personal story about a Merc and a sudden deceleration of the crank that would have ended with...
    But we didn't have any. Luckily we had narrow floorboards and a flare gun.

But Flare guns on the 4th of July don't really attract much attention.

Unless (different story) it involves a parachute flare with an internal EPIRB. That will attract quite a bit of attention.

Jim Moore likes this.
  15. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

Pics or GTFO.

eggfooyoung likes this.
  16. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

True enough. But it all comes down to use case. Putting around a 100 acre lake with no fuel dock? Electric range would be fine and no lugging fuel cans. More electric use cases will become a good choice as tech improves. Going to take a while to catch up with over 120 years of IC engine refinement, as one would expect.

17. Johnny B

Johnny B Cone Rights Activist

Yep, a rite of passage in my town was getting a boat. Mr. Pierce of Fisher-Pierce lived in own town, so everyone had a Boston Whaler. The factory was only ten miles away until they moved it to Florida. Everyone went with Johnson/Evinrude, but is you wanted to put up with the BS, a Merc of higher horsepower was the way to go with a 13 footer. (40 HP max with a Johnson/Evinrude, 55 HP with a Merc.) A friend of mine stuffed a 135 HP Merc on the back of a 16' Whaler. It was scary to water ski behind that sucker at full speed. He named the boat "Black Power". :)

18. Odilup

Odilup Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

Interesting that steering wheels moved to the left on boats.

All the boats I ever piloted or rode on had it on the right, with the control on the starboard side.

20. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

7 Marine didn’t offer the same?

BS!:rolleyes:

Depends. Some of the high-end stuff offer helm options.