1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Educate me on Go Pro type cameras

Discussion in 'General' started by Critter, Feb 6, 2021.

1. SVbadguy

SVbadguy I survived the Mt Course

GoPros with a suction cup mount to the windshield are really stable. 200GB SD card will provide far more run time than the battery. I've got over 8 hours of 1080p taking up 110GB right now. Rig some external power and you're good.

2. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

If you are mounting the camera in a truck, wire the charging cable to the truck.
    Most of the GoPro type batteries will last 20-40 minutes if recording in high resolution. You'll run out of battery long before you run out of memory.
    There are a lot of inexpensive knock-offs on Amazon these days. I have a couple of them and they work pretty good, too.

3. Quicktoy

Quicktoy Is it Winter yet?

In the cab? Hell no. Get the Max. Look at their specs for how long it can record as I do 10 minute snowboard runs with it but if it’s inside the cab if your truck is def go with the Max

4. Quicktoy

Quicktoy Is it Winter yet?

Yes sir

5. Critter

Critter Registered

Has anyone used the Garmin VIRB? It looks like I can hook it up to my OBD11 connector

6. cyclenut

cyclenut Well-Known Member

Had several GoPros over the years, got a Garmin VIRB a year ago...much happier.

7. Bass guys who are sponsored by Garmin I talk to love them. I know a few of them well enough to get an honest opinion (verbally only of course :)

8. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

I have a GoPro Hero 9 with the Max lens mod. Its nuts. You can do nearly anything and it will always be super smooth with horizon leveling.

9. I’ll see if I can get exact set ups. I know for a fact they run power to them and also a couple on the outside of the truck they swapped out at pit stops. Trophy trucks are an odd bird, rich mans playground but also some people who made their money in it. Some of the people who just write checks blow my mind just in their pre-runner set ups. Then get a new $6-700k truck a year then give the old one to their kid or buddies kid to race. It’s a very cool sport and hopefully I’ll get out to Cali in Mar or Apr to at least go have fun in a top notch pre runner. I’m fascinated by trophy trucks, they are crude in some ways but over the top in other. They keep adding more and more electronics which is cool in a way.

10. Critter

Critter Registered

I know thats why I bought a 6100 truck to try and keep the electronics out of it

Stumpy likes this.
  11. Critter

Critter Registered

Have you ever messed with the gps data?

12. Critter

Critter Registered

Why are you happier with the VIRB?

13. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

Wow that is pretty cool. That's a tempting purchase.

Have you tested it on a sport bike at the track?

14. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Unfortunately, no.

15. Critter

Critter Registered

Do the MAX lens make it a 360?

16. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Negative

17. bacolmm

bacolmm Well-Known Member

FYI - I believe there is an issue with the GPS Data for the Hero 9 and maybe the 8.