1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1986 FZR750 superbike frame?

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by duke22, Jan 10, 2021.

1. duke22

duke22 Member

Hi All, looking for some information on an FZR750 frame I acquired a while ago, together with a pile of FZ750 parts. The seller though it was an ex Yamaha America superbike frame (possibly built for Jim Felice to ride?) but had no solid evidence of that. The frame number indicates it is a pre production frame (not a road bike), and it has been extensively and professionally braced and boxed. I'll try to attach a couple of photos.
    I can't find much online about the late 80's racebikes - search for FZR750 racebike and all you get is OW01 stuff - so would appreciate any info you might have. Does anyone know anyone who might have been involved in the race team back then?
    Thanks, Lyle.

Attached Files:

2. evakat

evakat Well-Known Member

Any vin stamped on it

3. duke22

duke22 Member

No VIN number. I don't think it was intended for road use.

4. yamageezer

yamageezer Well-Known Member

I presume this is the same frame that is on the Fast 5 Valves fb page? Doesn't look like a prepro vin, especially USA anyway. I thought I knew who owned the legendary factory "Filice" frame, I'll have to check again. The single front fairing bracket tab is interesting, also pointing to race only frame.

5. TZRusty

TZRusty Well-Known Member

I had one siimular. It had the outer rail bracing and the swingarm casting was boxed and behind the steering head. The bike I had came from the KAYO endurance team. I don't remember if it had numbers

6. duke22

duke22 Member

Yes this was on the Fast5 fb, hoping to reach more people through WERA :). I think preproduction is the wrong word, as I understand prepro bikes have a frame number that is under 100. This frame doesn't even have the raised area for the frame number. A couple of other differences to normal - no casting number behind the headstock, no "DELTABOX" on the side rails and very rough cast lower subframe mounts. I'm guessing it is a very early frame sent out for race use before the production bikes started coming down the line.

No bracing behind the steering head though.

Does anyone have any pictures of the Jimmy Filice's bike? I can only find a couple online. They clearly show it with a racekit swingarm and rear brake but can't see any frame detail.

7. yamageezer

yamageezer Well-Known Member

Probably the ones I took and sent to Dave Annette in the UK. If the bike is still at work, I'll take some detailed frame shots.

Does anyone have any pictures of the Jimmy Filice's bike? I can only find a couple online. They clearly show it with a racekit swingarm and rear brake but can't see any frame detail.[/QUOTE]

8. evakat

evakat Well-Known Member

[/QUOTE]
    I talk to Dave Annette quite frequently...
    If you guys have any questions for him... let me know and i can contact him

9. TZRusty

Will a 89 fzr1000 35 degree engine mount in a 1988 frame ?

10. duke22

duke22 Member

Yes it will, a friend has an EXUP motor in his Genesis racebike. Mountings are the same. AFAIK the two engines are externally pretty much identical, its just the way the motor sits in the frame that makes it a "35 degree" engine.

11. TZRusty

The reason I ask is , I have a 92 fzr1000 engine to build as a spare or primary engine in the 1985 FZ750 chassis. It appears that 89-95 fzr1000 engines were the same.

12. duke22

duke22 Member

750 and 1000 motors are interchangeable so both should fit FZ750 chassis. Early FZR motors have external oil coolers, later ones have water cooled oil filters, so you'll need to juggle radiators to suit.