1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Carpel tunnel surgery.

Discussion in 'General' started by Bart#72, Nov 19, 2012.

1. Red Fox Racing

Red Fox Racing Age is only a number

Update, day one of the surgery, I was rehabbing at home with squeeze ball. Went back to work 14 days after surgery. Did a 25 mile training ride, with no issues. I still can't do full push-ups. Thinking two more weeks for those.

bacolmm likes this.
  2. Bart#72

Bart#72 Well-Known Member

Wow! Like I said It's been 4 1/2 weeks for my right and 2 1/2 for the left and I still can't even get in the push up position yet. Pressure on the palms and stiffnes in the wrists are still preventing me.

3. VFR#52

VFR#52 Well-Known Member

Here what i learned. After having my right hand done. Was all better but as i use my hands to work and riding made them hurt real bad.
    I drink apple cider vinegar and honey once a day, i mix 2 tablespoons and enough honey to make it taste ok in a regular water bottle. Its help with swelling and stops the hurting. also i stretch my hands. Talked to a therapist and she explained that the hand contracts and closes off the tunnel. Now take this from a guy that stopped riding because the pain was to much. my bed has a headboard and i use it to stretch my finger tips back to the wrist. Go slow and do it every night. Its helps and my hands stopped hurting and starting working better. I can tell if i slack off too.
    I really hope this helps and yes i would do the surgery again.
    Doc told me that if i had waited any longer it would have been permanent.
    My right hand would be numb 2 laps into a race.
    It has saved my riding and makes its enjoyable.
    Good luck and feel free to contact me if you need any questions answered.
    Thanks

Steven Isenhower #52 2001 v-6
    2nd Sucks Racing
    281-536-3330

4. Suburbanrancher

Suburbanrancher Chillzilla

Make sure you work that scar tissue. I know it was a few weeks before mine were anywhere near pushup capable, though I did do a few laps on the dirtbike a couple of days after surgery just to be sure the motion would be there.

By month 3 there were no problems at all and I was bench-pressing again.

5. Bart#72

Thanks for the info Chris. I'm usually a fast healer but this is definitely taking me some time. It took me a full week before I could even close my hand, no way I could jump on my dirtbike. I still don't feel confident to do that.
    Been doing tons of cardio at the gym since the operation and every once in awhile ill pick up some dumb bells to see where my hand strength is at. The left hand can just barley curl 10 lbs and the right is at 25. Before the operation I could easily do 45lbs for an easy ten reps.
    Looks like I just need to be patient and let time do the healing!

6. bacolmm

bacolmm Well-Known Member

I'm going to need surgery on my right hand. I started to get some numbness in my fingertips in November. I was hoping to get surgery quickly, but after doctor's appointments, tests, injection, etc, here we are and it's almost February. I was hoping to read that I could expect to be back on the motorcycle in 4-6 weeks, but per some of the posts it sounds like it could be double that or more? If that's the case I'll probably just deal with it the rest of this year and get it done after the season is over. Per the tests I have a mild case and my surgeon assured me that there's no chance of permanent damage anytime soon.

7. knedragon29

knedragon29 Well-Known Member

Surgery hand is still doing well .... so is the non-surgery hand. The non-surgery hand I used MyCarpalTunnel.com ... it’s like a bandaid brace , I put one on before bed and just left it on till it fell off in the morning at work ( concrete construction). Along with taking Vitamin B-6 it subsided around week 5 and it’s been fine ever since ( probably because my hips are shot , lol ) . Got nothing to loose for $85 or what ever they charge for the kit nowadays. I figured I’d give it a shot before going the surgery route again.

8. jim weaver

jim weaver Well-Known Member

you know if you have both done close togather mr happy aint gettin no shower wackoff for a while!

9. jksoft

jksoft Well-Known Member

Since you mention the surgery, did the shot not provide relief or did it just not provide for long enough? I developed carpal tunnel in my wrist after surgery to repair a ruptured tendon in my elbow. My doc was fine with just administering a shot and seeing how long it would last. So far, 6 months later it's doing ok, though i can feel it creeping back. I may go get another shot before the riding season. The doc didn't seem too concerned with continuing to give shots as long as they weren't spaced too close together and it doesn't cost much so I figure I'll just keep at it for the time being. I don't really feel like being down an arm and going through rehab right now.

10. bacolmm

The shot helped, but not as much as I had hoped. My doc isn't too excited about additional shots because the first one wasn't super helpful.

11. burnham

burnham Well-Known Member

I had both my hands done at the same time, about five years ago. I was on the bike about a week later, and felt close to 100% after about a month.

bacolmm likes this.
  12. 03RumbleBee

03RumbleBee Well-Known Member

I had my right hand done 11/30, left done 12/14. I was released by my doc last Tuesday with no restrictions. Said I could have soreness in my palm for 3-6 months. I still have a pretty good lump in my left hand, but he said that would go away with time and massage. I had been wearing braces at night for about 5 years and finally got tired of it. I've had zero numbness since, just some twinging from movement before they healed enough to start breaking down the scar tissue. Hopefully no issues on the bike when MI track season starts in April.

bacolmm likes this.
  13. Bart#72

I am the OP and I am happy to say that getting both of my hands done is one of the best decisions I have ever made. I still continue to road race and ride dirt bikes. No issues at all.
    Just give yourself time to heal after the surgery and you will be able to ride just as hard or harder than you were able to before!

The.Johnner, ggunn9 and bacolmm like this.
  14. beechkingd

beechkingd Well-Known Member

I had surgery last year on my right hand and it went well. The only issue I've noticed work wise (I'm an aircraft mech) is I can't make my hand narrow any more to fit in instrument sized holes in the panel. If I have to work behind an instrument panel my hand gets pretty scratched up from being jammed in a sharp metal hole repeatedly.

Bike wise it's great, I was at a 10-15 minute limit before I more or less lost use of my fingers, now I can ride long enough to realize my left hand is starting to have tingling issues...

15. bacolmm

I'm scheduled for surgery tomorrow. Doc says I'll need to wear a brace for a week or two and then no restrictions after that. I'm hoping that strength and pain levels allow me to be back on the motorcycle 1 month post surgery.

16. KneeDragger_c69

KneeDragger_c69 Well-Known Member

1 month might be premature... I'd wait.
    Did both my wrists and one took double the time of the other.

One was 3-4 weeks and the other one over 8 weeks.

Good luck with your surgery and hope it goes well afterwards for you.

17. bacolmm

Thanks for the feedback! What's the main hurdle for getting back, pain from the incision, strength, range of motion?

18. KneeDragger_c69

KneeDragger_c69 Well-Known Member

My pleasure...

Pain not too bad it's more the range of motion and the pain of the efforts when you start physio or just back to your everyday routine... since (in my case) you're in a brace for a few weeks, rendering the wrist motion limited.

bacolmm likes this.