1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Long Range Shooting Rifle Options

Discussion in 'General' started by BC, Oct 20, 2016.

1. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

I have one but haven’t used it yet. Once I measure the throat I would set all bullets to that length, correct?

2. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Different bullets like different jumps(the measurement you take, and then how much you set the bullet back from there).

Hornady ELDs - .030" jump
    Berger VLDs - .010-
    015" jam, or big jump, like ~.070"
    Berger Hybrids - .010-.035" jump
    Sierras - I don't shoot much, but I can look in my notes at home.

3. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

Ok. Now that makes sense.
    I reload for .223 & 300 blackout plus some pistol rounds.

4. aftriathlete

aftriathlete Well-Known Member

Any recommendations for best big game rifle (up to elk/moose) under $1000? Expect nothing further out than 400 yds. I’m thinking 300 WinMag. For a guy who has made his living by hunting, I see Steve Rinella has hunted with Savage rifles in the past, and he appears to be on Weatherby now as there is a Weatherby special edition for his show. This thread seems to be more about very long range and match shooting, but I trust there are hunters in the mix as well.

5. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Savage is a safe option, and you can definitely find something under $1k. If I was buying a Savage hunting rifle, I would take a serious look at the 110 Classic, with the laminate stock and built in adjustable cheek piece and LOP. I dont think you can go wrong with the 300WM for what you are looking to do.
    You can pick up Tikka T3x Hunter in 300WM for under $1k too. I know I sound like a broken record, but Tikkas really are superior in fit and function.

I would look at Howa and Browning as options too. I would avoid Remington at all costs, as well as the Savage Axis line.

Steak Travis likes this.
  6. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

Weatherby's are great. I've had several and my dad has a few as well. I don't prefer the 2 stage trigger on the vanguard guns but that's an easy switch.
    Couple options below that would be great as well. Good call on the 300 win mag too. People might not do it here, but some people will try to say you don't need a 300 for moose and elk and use your 243 or the Indians were killing them with 30-30's. Tell them to stfu and you want the best tool for the job and a 300wm is right up there to do it. If you are going to suppress, there are a few different options that can be recommended.

The meat eater edition in 300 Winchester mag and not the weatherby mag. Only thing on this one is it's 26" barrel. I like the 24" for hunting
    https://www.sportsmans.com/shooting...-action-rifle-300-winchester-magnum/p/1643356
    https://www.sportsmans.com/shooting...-action-rifle-300-winchester-magnum/p/1434433
    https://www.sportsmans.com/shooting...-action-rifle-300-winchester-magnum/p/1442446
    https://www.sportsmans.com/shooting...ergara-b-14-hunter-bolt-action-rifle/p/p42882
    https://www.sportsmans.com/shooting...-action-rifle-300-winchester-magnum/p/1618116

7. casjoker

casjoker Refusing middle age

Mossberg Patriot in 300 win mag. Even with a nice Leupold, you are in for well under $1000

8. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Yeah, but then you're stuck with a Mossberg.

One of the guys I shoot with(older guy, 70ish). Bought a Mossberg in 6.5CM. There was something wrong with it chambering or brass sticking in the chamber or something like that. He sent it back for them to look at it. They sent it back to him saying it checked out ok. He tried it again, same issue. Called them and they tried blaming it on his reloading. He took the gun over to a friends bandsaw and cut the gun up into little pieces, boxed them up and sent it back to Mossberg. They called him and asked what he wanted them to do. He said nothing, he just didnt want someone else to get stuck with the POS.

MachineR1 and jrsamples like this.
  9. wera313

wera313 Well-Known Member

I have been using a Tikka T3 lite that was economical enough to open up budget for nice a Leupold scope. Have hunted/shot whitetails, mule deer, antelope and a mature bull elk with that rifle all in 308. Quick expiration and minimal tracking (sub 50 yards). I might hesitate with moose on 308 but I know for a fact that many, many moose fall to 308 in Sweden and Finland every year. I've settled on Nosler Trophy grade 165 grain factory rounds; hasn't let me down. Longest shot was 312 yards on antelope; elk was at 220. It's the only hunting rifle I use now.

10. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

Another vote. Enjoy my T3T Tikka mucho.

11. OGs750

OGs750 Well-Known Member

For the Tikka guys. I have a T3 Lite in 6.5 that I’d like to start tinkering with. What are some of the best bang for the buck upgrades out there? Triggers? Bottom metal? Or should I just go for a chassis?

What are your recommendations?

12. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

What do you want to use it for?

13. OGs750

OGs750 Well-Known Member

Primarily hunting. Precision shooting interests me and I’d like to get into that more as well. More than anything though I just like to tinker.

14. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

I assume it has a pencil barrel on it, so a heavier, aftermarket barrel would be my first upgrade. I run Bartlein barrels in 7.5 trust with a 1.200" shank. I face off .110" from the face of the action, so the barrel fully contacts the action.
    If you like single stage triggers, the factory trigger is great. Only the Tacs have factory 2 stage triggers.
    As far as stock/chassis, that's personal preference. I now have 3 Tac chassis, so I cab have 3 identical match rifles. For a hunting gun, I like laminate stocks.

OGs750 likes this.
  15. Steak Travis

https://elayprecision.com/product/tikka-t3-t3x-trigger-spring/

The factory trigger is great but this $9 spring makes it even better. Definitely worth the upgrade if you are going to do some target shooting. Easy to install too

I found a didn't like chassis's while hunting and went with a manners stock. The factory stock is totally fine but I was bored and wanted the gun to look cool and the manners stocks are really nice.

MachineR1 and OGs750 like this.
  16. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Yeah, a chassis is not ideal for hunting, unless you're just sitting in a box blind.

17. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

Curious what the big difference between a chassis and a normal stock is for hunting. I've not been hunting since borrowing a rifle to go with a buddy in my teens. Mainly just a range whore. So I'm pretty ignorant to hunting and why a chassis is not ideal.

OGs750 likes this.
  18. OGs750

OGs750 Well-Known Member

Any reason why you took .110" off specifically or was that just the number you needed to get full clean up?
    Are triggers a strictly personal choice or is there a reason to prefer a single stage over 2 stage? When I first got the rifle, I found that I wasn't very consistent with the break and it wasn't so much the rifle, but more my inexperience with single stage triggers. I've gotten more comfortable over time, but if it's sat for a while it always takes a few dry fires before the muscle memory comes back.

19. socalrider

socalrider pathetic and rude

a chassis is not meant to be carried and shouldered, free standing type shooting. its heavy as balls and usually (almost always) you have a full length bull profile barrel in a chassis gun, and 99.9% of the time a bipod as well. that makes it super front heavy, not great for off hand shooting. they are meant for bench or prone shooting for the most part.
    quick google image search for a tikka chassis:
    [​IMG]

OGs750 likes this.
  20. Steak Travis

Personal choice. I shoot a single stage better than a 2 stage. I've missed animals because of a 2 stage tigger and me not being used to the slack, then the wall, then firing a quick shot on a hog or coyote or whatever. Others are fine with the 2 stage and some can go between both. If I'm rested I shoot both the same but it's those quick reflex shots where I don't always do great. If you practice or get that spring, that tikka trigger will break very consistently.

I had the Christensen MPR and it was too light. The results were the same.. I still hit what I was shooting but I had to think about it more.

Boredom and overthinking has cost me a lot of money hah but it's been fun buying and selling and trying out new things.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2020
    OGs750 likes this.