1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Post your road bicycle

Discussion in 'General' started by cha0s#242, May 19, 2016.

1. Rich

Rich Well-Known Member

Yep. 2K will buy you a pretty dang nice bike with money to spare for everything else you'll need to get started.

cajun636, Senna and Youpaiyou like this.
  2. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

OEMs may have old inventory on their website where you can purchase direct to store. Id avoid ebay or bikes direct.

Felt broam 40 is available for under $1500 shipped

Youpaiyou likes this.
  3. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

I will just throw out a suggestion.
    I got a 2020 Trek Domane earlier this year, the SL4 and SL5 should be within that budget.
    Trek calls it their "endurance" bike, so a little more relaxed ergos.

Mine came stock with 32mm tires but you can go either bigger or smaller. (most road bikes use either a 25mm or a 28mm)
    I love that bike, its to the lightest but its super comfortable.

PPPope, TurboBlew and Youpaiyou like this.
  4. Youpaiyou

Youpaiyou Well-Known Member

Thank you! This post and the Felt broam 40 recommendation is exactly the type of advice that I was seeking. Saying that, I appreciate all of the advice because I’m just getting into the sport.

BigBird likes this.
  5. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

If you're just beginning, maybe start with a second hand bike to see if you'll like it. There are some good deals out there and it will help you define your needs when you treat yourself a few years down the road.

Jon Wilkens, BigBird, socal and 2 others like this.
  6. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

Dangit. I only spent $1200 for 6,000 per year. I gotta take care of this oversight.

cajun636, Rich and cha0s#242 like this.
  7. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Only two things I can offer:

1.) Make an honest assessment of yourself, before doing group rides with anyone. Some have a tendency to get carried away and 10-12mph rides become 16-18mph rides and that type of scenario is no fun.

2.) You’re better to look at gravel bikes with endurance geometry, over race bikes. There’s not much to be gained with skinny tires, in terms of speed. When you’re competing at the continental/pro tour level, then, worry about the last mph and every watt of expenditure. Otherwise, grab something that’s comfortable for every mile you ride. An endurance gravel bike will have a taller headtube, more substantial tires, and won’t be the limiting factor for the type of roads you find to ride.

pscook, BigBird and Youpaiyou like this.
  8. Youpaiyou

Youpaiyou Well-Known Member

Excellent advice! Thank you, sir.

ducnut likes this.
  9. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

This is crazy lol.

I’m currently at 7250 for the year and i did buy a spare bike This year but got it used by a scouring FB marketplace and groups and got my Specialized Allez w/SRAM Red wrap and a 2inpower power meter for $2,000 shipped.

Hell my Pinarello Gan S only cost me $1650 and I got it
    With literally 125 miles on
    It.

If this is your first time
    Buying a bike i honestly
    Would search FB marketplace and Craigslist and spend have that ($1,500) and you’d get a damn good bike for that. Decent
    Enough to ride with the fastest groups and if you decide it’s
    Just not for you, you can sell it
    For about what you bought it for pending any crashes.

I bought my Felt off Dave K on here for $600 and sold it 2 years and 6000 miles later for the same price.

Road isn’t for everyone and
    It seems like it parallels Motorcycle riding a lot.

People get one then instantly say, yep this ain’t for me and sell it, or get one then get heavy into
    Riding then get out in two years (think Novice 600 Rider being bumped to expert lol). With a low/medium investment you can get your feet wet and not
    Be out a bunch of Money.

10. BigBird

BigBird blah

:stupid: (btw where have you been?)

i would get a cheapish road bike and see how it goes. You can sell it back for almost same price if you're into it, just like a 250/300 motorcycle, and upgrade, or sell if you're not into it.

I developed hip issues, and couldn't ride a bicycle, but I was only in about $850. Sold the bike and most of the gear for not too much of a loss.

cajun636 likes this.
  11. sharky nrk

sharky nrk Rubber Side Up

I tend to agree. I definitely think that cycling is an area where pricing gets way way out of hand easily because there are those out there willing to pay it. Whether it be a status thing, an attempt to buy performance thing, or just a hobby thing for the rich - there is a definite segment willing to pay what I feel are exorbitant prices. Luckily if you can avoid falling into that trap - you can get 85-90% of the performance for 10-15% of the cost by purchasing used and/or looking at closeouts towards the 105 spec'd level.

cajun636, BigBird and ducnut like this.
  12. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

damn that sucks about that hip.

I’ve been bicycling too much that’s where lol.

Well ok kinda. It’s my work lately that has kept me super
    Busy. And not much racing when I’m off or Beebing while at work anymore.

BigBird likes this.
  13. BigBird

BigBird blah

Gotta make that $$ when you can.

I haven't heard about you buying a new motorbike in a while and was like where's cajun these day. Glad to hear you doing ok.

cajun636 likes this.
  14. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

Damn ! You sure improved since your 15 mile rides on the bike path near the water you used to do. Good on you for taking it to the red limiter ;)

cajun636 likes this.
  15. Greenhound386

Greenhound386 Well-Known Member

I got a Cannondale Synapse Carbon 105 disc for $2k even. It was 'end of season', so that's why I got a slight deal (MSRP was $6,500). That bike was awesome. I got it to make sure I liked road cycling (came from MTB). Longest ride on it was 105 miles. It's Cannondale's 'endurance' model, so it's supposed to have more relaxed geometry.

I ended up selling it earlier this year and got a Specialized Tarmac SL7 Pro for $6k. It's just as comfortable as the Cannondale despite leaning towards a racy geometry. Unfortunately, I'm not much faster on it than I was on the Cannondale, but it looks cool, and I love the electronic shifting.

So, your budget will get you something really nice that you can ride long-term. I over-research everything. Both bikes mentioned above are super highly rated / reviewed across the board. The Specialized Allez is another good one if you want something with a more comfortable position, but I find that the ergonomics issue is a bit exaggerated if you're already accustomed to sportbikes. I had my Cannondale setup pretty aggressively (flipped the stem to angle down and lost some spacers). I left the Specialized stock, and it feels super close to what I came off of.

Youpaiyou likes this.
  16. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

Ergonomics vary greatly from rider to rider.

I personally have long legs and short torso. This means high saddle, so low handlebars become super low to me.

17. rice r0cket

rice r0cket Well-Known Member

Yes and no. Contact points are one thing, but (a) the bike geometry can still differ pretty greatly even if you fit on it the same (analogous to having different swingarm lengths, head angle/fork rake/trail, etc.), and (b) the compromises you make to replicate those contact points on a different bike can alter the weight distribution to where you put too much/too little weight over the front axle and you lose the original design intent.

cajun636 likes this.
  18. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

Yep. I’m good. Still have 6
    Bikes. Just doing track days coaching and giving back where I can. I’ll still do some racing tho. I do want the new Honda... badly. But Gotta wait for them prices to drop.

Yep!! Was going to do some racing this year but that didn’t happen. Hopefully I can carry my fitness over to next year, build on it and do some Crits.

cha0s#242 and BigBird like this.
  19. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

20. rice r0cket

rice r0cket Well-Known Member

That sculpted tumor makes it look worse than just an attached box.