1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What services do you tip for?

Discussion in 'General' started by redtailracing, Nov 30, 2020.

Tags:
  1. R1Racer99

R1Racer99 Well-Known Member

I think I said this the last time this subject came up, but as someone who lives off tips, I never expect or feel entitled to them. I agree completely with the philosophy of “if you don’t like your job or the pay, do something else”. I also never complain about shitty tips or worry about what I made in a day because I know it all evens out over time. Those that do bitch are usually shitty servers and make less money because that’s all they’re worried about.

Actually now that I think about it, I do complain about one thing all the time. People who get drinks from me at the bar while they’re waiting for a table and then transfer their tab. If you’re going to tip at least give it to the person who served you. Pay your bill damn it.

2. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

Only for rub n tugs. Everyone else can EAD.

3. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

What would be your opinion on moving to a no-tipping pricing model? Wherein labor rates are increased accordingly.

4. R1Racer99

R1Racer99 Well-Known Member

There’s many different ways to look at the debate and I think the idea of tipping is kind of crazy in general, but that’s how this country has done it for so long that I think it’s too late to change.

Personally, I’d have to find a new line of work if that ever happens. I’m not going to do the same job for half the pay. Many restaurants have tried it and thankfully it hasn’t been very successful so far so I’m hoping it stays around for a while.

5. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

the whole thing or just the tip? :D

6. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Hmmmmmm.... perhaps I'm missing out on both a revenue stream and a disposal costs reduction.

Tell me more... :crackup::crackup:

7. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Well shit, look at all I missed out on!

So just to clarify things, that creepy dude in the shitter handing you towels? That’s the cover, man. He’s part of the cartel’s front line, supplying blow to those “in the know”.

You wanna tip him, hand him a rolled up Bennie and see what he hands you instead of a paper towel.

Gorilla George likes this.
  8. Potts N Pans

Potts N Pans Well-Known Member

:eek:

You really cocked this post up.

TurboBlew likes this.
  9. Potts N Pans

Potts N Pans Well-Known Member

You ever paid someone at a gas station enough money to ensure "the water was turned off" for another customer??

:beer:

10. Not yet, but now it’s on my agenda. :D

11. COOP 1

COOP 1 Well-Known Member

+ 1

I never thought that karma was something y0u could buy.

Rebel635 and Gorilla George like this.
  12. :stupid:

13. BigBird

BigBird blah

Everything has a price :D

14. COOP 1

COOP 1 Well-Known Member

:bow:

15. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

Bartenders - $5 for the first order of drinks, then it's $1/drink
    Drive through Coffee - $1
    Restaurant - 15% to 20% depending on how good the service is.
    Food To Go - Nothing unless I know the place. Currently with Covid, there's several joints I patronize more frequently, as I want them around. 15%
    Movers - Beer in 12pks.
    Tree guys - Beer in 12pks. I have a 50' California Bay Laurel, and every other year I get it trimmed back.
    Hotel Concierge - $20 on arrival, and ask about places to eat. I carry two bags max, so no bellmen. If I had bags, $5 for up to 5, then $1/bag on top.
    Barber - Round up by $10 (I'm bald, so a razor shave is not as time consuming for them)
    Tattoo - 10-20%
    Mailman - Cigars and a bottle of whiskey

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I yell at the daytime bartender at the place i hangout all the time because she just transfers me to the night folks and it's like damnit, how do I remember when to tip you if you don't give me my tab? :crackup: It is funny, they used to just automatically transfer everyone over never asking if they'd cash out because of shift change, I finally bugged them enough to at least ask the customers "Do you want to cash out with me or transfer you?"

R1Racer99 likes this.
  17. lazlo

lazlo Stand up guy who corners low.

I haven't seen this mentioned yet, but I tip on the Uber and Lyft app, but I also put a 5 or a 10 on the front seat when I leave, depending on how far the ride was. Girlfriend is in the taxi business, it's insane what hoops they have to jump through that Uber and Lyft don't. I always prefer a real taxi first, if available, and always tip them well.

BigBird likes this.
  18. HPPT

HPPT !!!

You're regularly drinking long enough for the staff to change shifts on you and you think figuring out the tips is the interesting part? :D

crashman likes this.
  19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I get there just before shift change usually. It's bad when I'm there long enough to complain about the one night bartender getting off so I don't get to tip them since they split the tips whenever that happens and the late person gets all of whatever comes in later. So then my all night tip just goes to one person when both took care of me.

:beer:

20. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

You may be taking this a bit too seriously, Francis.

Razr likes this.