1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Veteran's Day Tribute

Discussion in 'General' started by nigel smith, Nov 11, 2020.

1. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

My great uncle, Percy Smith, was a career soldier in the British army. He never had a family of his own. He was killed in action in France in 1914. Thank you, Sergeant. You are not forgotten. IMG_20201111_113623.jpg IMG_20201111_114235.jpg

evakat, dtalbott, Shocker and 4 others like this.
  2. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

3. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

My Great Uncle Joseph Leighton, was also killed in the First World War aged 21.. July 1917 on the first day of the Battle of Passchendaele. His body was never found and his name is on the Menin Gate in Ypres, Belgium.

evakat, dtalbott and Yzasserina like this.
  4. nigel smith

My great uncle is buried in a military cemetery in France. My dad visited some years back.

dtalbott likes this.
  5. GM GIXXER

GM GIXXER Well-Known Member

A thank you to all Veterans, your service is appreciated.

dtalbott and ducnut like this.
  6. nigel smith

My grandfather, Sidney Smith. He served in the Royal Navy in WW2. Mostly in the North Atlantic but made it into the Pacific a time of two. IMG_20201111_121602.jpg

dtalbott and Yzasserina like this.
  7. Wingnut

Wingnut Well-Known Member

My Dad and his brother served in Vietnam. Maternal Grandfather in WW2 in the Seabees, had a great uncle that was a fighter pilot ace shot down over France in WW1. Joseph Fritz Wehner.

Thanks to all that take the oath.

dtalbott, Yzasserina and ducnut like this.
  8. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

Thank you to my father, my father-in-law, and my husband. 61 years of service.

And thank you to all of you fellow veterans as well.

:flag:

dtalbott and R Acree like this.
  9. james weaver

james weaver Well-Known Member

lt col paul button son in law . started in ranger bat chuted into panama.then special ops gp 5. became helo pilot two times against hussan. two deployments afganistan. with 160th 2nt tour .still fighting .my hero. my sevice us navy 1961

Last edited: Nov 11, 2020
    dtalbott and nigel smith like this.
  10. Kev59

Kev59 Well-Known Member

How about Veterans month or year? Post up some history about your Vets. I'd love to read about all that served.

dtalbott likes this.
  11. nigel smith

IMG_20201111_193557.jpg In keeping with the family tradition, here is a really blurry picture of me and a friend hamming it up off the coast of somewhere. I'm not that short. My friend was built like a giraffe.

dtalbott and Yzasserina like this.
  12. Potts N Pans

Potts N Pans Well-Known Member

My Grandfather is a WWII veteran who passed last year. Two uncles served, one in the Desert Storm and the other in OIF. I'm currently in Saudi Arabia.

Take care and stay safe!

:flag:

dtalbott and nigel smith like this.
  13. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

My father was in the Grenadier Guards during the Second World War, joined in 1940 he didn't get out until 1946. My mother was in the ATS (women's branch of the British Army) and did some time working on an anti-aircraft gun crew.

dtalbott likes this.