1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SV fuel pumps

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Tristan, Oct 27, 2020.

1. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

so, it looks like the early ones have white connectors and the 05-08 (what I have) are brown. Did the Gladius/3rd gen go back to the same white connector or totally different? Can I splice a brown connector onto either of the others and still have a low fuel light?

2. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

Gladius and 3rd gen use 3 wire white connector. They use a float so I doubt the fuel level indicator will work.

3. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Thanks. Apparently all years are made mostly of gold...

4. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

2nd gens are 11-18 years old. Fuel pumps are old and failing quite regularly. We had a 3rd gen pump go bad at Indy. Take the chance on a used pump, replace with an ebay pump, or fork out the dough for an OEM unit. Hate to say it but best move is to bite the bullet and get a new oem unit...

5. Rising

Rising Well-Known Member

I've heard decent reports about the aftermarket pumps available through ebay or amazon. I think there are some different kits out there and I don't know which one is best but at least it's another option to look into.

6. Chango

Chango Something clever!

Yeah, some of the eBay specials may be fine. But some of them will only work for a week before dying on you, at least in my recent experience.

On the plus side, I know replacing the fuel pump got the bike running, even if it only worked for a week, so I don't mind spending more on a better pump this time.

7. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

I had to buy a used 98/99 gsxr 750 fuel pump on ebay...$325 :/
    Must be like hens teeth.

8. beathiswon

beathiswon Well-Known Member

If you can find the mfr. name on the pump somewhere...Hitachi, Denso, etc. and some type of model number try doing a search for the OEM mfr. of just the pump itself. I know similar auto OEM pumps are less than half price of buying the whole assembly from the dealer. They're out there it's just finding a part number is the hard part.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2020
  9. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

TurboBlew and JBall like this.
  10. rcarson15

rcarson15 Well-Known Member

How well do those fit/work in replacement of the OEM pump?

Rising Sun likes this.
  11. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Fit just like the OEM. They come with a bunch of different angle / style filters, same pump , multiple applications.

TurboBlew likes this.
  12. JJJerry

JJJerry Well-Known Member

Couple of notes we've gathered:

-The 3rd gen pump fuel outlet faces the opposite direction than the 2nd gen.
    -Like Mike said - the 3rd gen is the same connector as the 03/04, but the sensor is rheostat type for an actual gauge.
    -It's pretty easy to swap the 03/04 and the 05-09 by swapping the components onto the correct base. You can get creative on how you connect the fuel level sensor.

Tristan likes this.
  13. ruckusracing

ruckusracing Well-Known Member

I've heard the Ford probe F/P works in the 2nd gen housing. Is that a true statement?