1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can you still get "rich" racing bikes in America?

Discussion in 'General' started by HPPT, Oct 15, 2020.

1. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Hahahah never underestimate the power of the Green Penis! (reminds me of the movie Magnolia, one of TC' best)

2. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

They buy one Buick when they retire, and drive that bitch until the gov takes their license away.

Dragginass likes this.
  3. track wagon

track wagon MCAS MIRAMAR

Index funds...….. Or are you guys just giving him shit?

4. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

I’m retired I drive a Jeep.

5. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

And it has to be tan or burgundy....state law.

TurboBlew likes this.
  6. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

What's this "retirement" everyone is talking about?

YamahaRick and TurboBlew like this.
  7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

In the house I live in, with the other bills regarding the house itself then yes, two incomes are needed. One from the retired 20+ year old, one from whoever else. However it wouldn't be that hard to downsize the house and live on the retirement in your 20's, but as I said, how I've lived is what most would consider frugal - would still make someone rich to be able to do it without working at all in their 20s.

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

10-15k a MONTH????? See this is what I'm talking about, you fuckers are all rich or crazy.

SpeedyE, drop, VFR#52 and 2 others like this.
  9. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

You are still an island.

Given it’s the island of unwanted toys, but an island nonetheless. :D

Gorilla George likes this.
  10. Dragginass

Dragginass Well-Known Member

Holy hell. I couldn't spend that much if I tried. Is that for hookers and blow?

11. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

:stupid:

12. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

I have no idea what I'd even spend 10-15k a MONTH on. A guy can only buy so much Rossi memorabilia and weekend flights to Tavuilia to peep inside the ranch. :D

SuddenBraking likes this.
  13. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Ironically, she might be better off with an older car with fewer electronics.

14. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Anyway, the point of the thread wasn't to find out how frugally someone can live. Let's get back to the original discussion. Can a promising 20-year-old starting his pro supersport career in 2021 realistically dream of retiring from a factory/factory-supported superbike ride around 2032-35 with the house paid off, and maximize IRA and a couple million dollars in the bank after winning a few championships?

15. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

Right... I was thinking if a 20 something walked away with 7 figs of principal they could go get a City gov't job for 40hrs/wk with full bennies & generous leave at a minimum of upper 30s... ride that til their 40s and get a pension!
    If you spent 300-700k of the 2 mill on a house... outside of the taxes/maintenance thats almost guaranteed at least a 10% return a year. Thats just on a single income... marry an earner then it gets even better.
    A job could just be a distraction to figure out exactly what you want to do with your free time. Guys Ive worked with that retired in their 40s or 50s always end up going back to work in some way because sitting around watching the days click by just sucks the life out of ya.
    Or if you have friends or family just sponge off them...lol. Keep the proceeds quiet.

Razr likes this.
  16. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

Im sure theres a possible path between endorsements & bonuses... but the odds are probably higher than winning a lottery worth a solid 7 or 8 figures. Definitely not on salary.
    Just thinking of the amount of talent & drive. A real good chance if the person started in motocross and moved over to roadracing.

17. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

My plan is simple: income after retirement will be higher than while working.

I actually will likely work part time because I like work and in retirement I will be able to work on some specific projects that I can't do currently, and not because I will need the money. I will have more free time and I want to travel, so the added income will cover that.

18. It’s not that hard, but it’s not something that happens overnight.

It’s one of those things where you start out (maybe straight out of college) thinking $4-5k a month would be HUGE money, then over time you make more money, and your habits change without you even realizing it.

Aside from the obvious things like more expensive house and vehicles (which also means higher insurance) your daily habits change.

When you go to the grocery store, you never look at prices and just grab whatever you want.
    When you get bored, you’ll go to Amazon and shop for random shit.
    You’ll make up excuses to get new golf clubs and guns. Then you’ll stock up on golf balls and ammo.
    When your hungry, you won’t think about the price, you’ll just get what you want. For example, we’ve used DoorDash 4-5 days a week ever since I’ve been home from the hospital, at $40-$60 a pop.
    You end up subscribing to all kinds of shit. Netflix, Hulu, YouTube Premium, HBO, Amazon Prime, USCCA, and about 10 different magazines.
    You pay someone $50 a week to mow the yard because you can’t be arsed with it.
    You’ll toss $500 a week into a Robinhood account so you can play with stocks.
    When you feel like going shopping at the outlets all day, or going to Cancun, or whatever, you just do it.

So on and so forth.

None of those things are super extravagant. We aren’t talking about popping bottles in expensive night clubs every night, or hiring a limo to go places.

That’s all just normal shit. And any one or two of those things isn’t a big deal. But when you start adding all that shit up, it’s easy to blow $10-15k in a month without realizing it.

......and I didn’t even mention racing. We all know that can make the number jump up significantly.

SuddenBraking likes this.
  19. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Yeah, we're not ballers at all, but we also don't spend any significant money on good food (at least not in the US). I'm also trying like hell to wean myself off of shiny objects, but when you own a bunch of motorbikes, the need for stuff never seems to end.

In our case, its travel costs. $800 plane tickets (x2), 4-5 star hotels, transportation, meals, etc once a month eats up big money pretty quickly. I'm guessing our average 2 week trip runs about $6,000 and we do one every 5-6 weeks. Ideally. If there's not a gawdam pandemic.

My bike trips are a lot cheaper. I can do 3 weeks in Europe for next to nothing.

But Broome is right... stuff is expensive these days. On top of that, after trillions of $$$ in government printing, I'm of the opinion that everything I own just lost 20%-30% in value, due to the increased currency in circulation.

Looking to the future, stuff is going to get pricey. We're not far away from cars averaging $75K for new. Its happening.

20. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Paging @dtalbott