1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CarPlay head unit?

Discussion in 'General' started by Spooner, Oct 14, 2020.

1. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

I got a new car for work and want to toss a double din CarPlay head unit into it. I would like to have it use wireless CarPlay because I use a wireless charger and hate having cables everywhere. Any suggestions from the brain trust?

2. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

If all you're doing is playing music why not just a bluetooth capable unit?

3. Spooner

I’m on the road a ton and I’m always using navigation so the ability to run nav from the phone to the screen along with a ton of other apps is a big plus to me. My car has navigation but it takes forever to enter a destination and the accuracy is always suspect.

NemesisR6 likes this.
  4. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

Just put a tablet mount and slap on any iPad on it.

5. 05Yamabomber

05Yamabomber Dammit Haga

I just installed the Alpine ILX-650. Its a great DD head unit for apple/Android carplay but does require a cable. $299 on Amazon. Also BT for music and phone calls (no need for cable for those to work). Just cable when you want full carplay. Im real happy with this unit.

6. nd4spd

nd4spd Well-Known Member

I don't own anything CarPlay capable but the folks at Crutchfield have always been very helpful. Have bought several things from them and was happy with the product and service.

7. R1M370

R1M370 Dr. P Ness

My friend put a phoenix industries head unit in his Tundra. This unit does everything including video games for passengers.

Looks like this one Screenshot_20201014-165119.png

8. 05Yamabomber

05Yamabomber Dammit Haga

Yes those are nice. Mine went into a 2005 F250 so that head unit wasnt an option for me. I would have done that one in a heartbeat! Not bad price at around $900.

R1M370 likes this.
  9. tito

tito Well-Known Member

even with a double din for wireless you are looking at close to 1k, after you add in possible dash kit and wire harness's and steering wheel controls. I like the Pioneer 4500Nex but Panasonic has some good ones as well.
    check out crutchfield to see what will fit and or you will need. then price match with amazon.

10. Monsterdood

Monsterdood Well-Known Member

I have seen ads for a USB to wireless CarPlay adapter so perhaps you can get a regular CarPlay head unit and that adapter? But if it were me, I’d just get a wireless one like you asked about though. I love using CarPlay vs just Bluetooth when I can!

11. Spooner

Not a bad idea. It looks like it’s $3-400 more for wireless. That’s a lot to not have to plug your phone in. That difference would buy the hitch I need to put my bike rack on the back. Decisions decisions.

12. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

Lots of wireless models also suffer from lag. Some are decent, but quite honestly, the wireless carplay technology isn't up to speed enough that I'd get one just yet. Or, if I did, I'd still probably end up plugging it in anyways.

Additionally, it kills the battery on your phone, so you'd ideally want to lay the phone on a wireless charging pad.

13. OGs750

OGs750 Well-Known Member

Isn't it just bluetooth though? Honest question. I have no idea how power hungry bluetooth is.

14. Spooner

It's because your phone is supplying all the GPS, streaming, etc to the head unit so its pretty abusive to your battery if you're running nav and streaming music and all that.

OGs750 likes this.
  15. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Google "joying" .

Your welcome

16. Spooner

Yeah I have seen a lot of stuff like those but man I drive 60k miles a year and those things always seem super buggy. I would rather put my money into a name brand setup that is more likely to work when I'm on some two lane highway in the middle of kansas lol!

17. rwdfun

rwdfun

18. G8rDuc

G8rDuc N00B

Alpine Ilx-207 I believe is the correct model. Really good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

19. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

Wireless carplay uses battery faster than a liter bike runs through a tank of race gas

20. Spooner

Just ordered this and all the crap to make it work from Crutchfield. Their prices were spot on and they make it super easy to figure out what you need. I used to buy from them all the time in high school but its been 20 years or so haha!!

MELK-MAN, 05Yamabomber and E Reed like this.