Contractors: Faux wood vinyl flooring?

Discussion in 'General' started by motion, Mar 26, 2020.

1. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

85lb retriever, let's see it.

2. Rico888

Rico888 Well-Known Member

^^^what he said^^^

Shop around for vinyl plank...
    You’ll be able to find something that will work just fine for a rental...
    My floor guy is installing much more vinyl plank than he is wood floor these days because people want the wipe down surface that doesn’t require the same maintenance program a wood floor does.
    Plus, manufacturers have really gotten good with texture and color of vinyl plank product..,
    As in anything floor related, prep is important...
    PS: Stay the heck away from any sheet goods.

3. Rene Bucek

Rene Bucek Well-Known Member

For durability and ease of install vinyl plank. Sheet may be cheaper, but, it is harder to install unless you have a perfectly square room with no obstacles. And you already have an extremely smooth subfloor, or a hardboard will also need to be installed which makes the cost difference a wash. Also, sheet is way harder to remove. Not to mention, if you have stairs, good lvp's will have bullnose options to match. Two other points to take into consideration: what's your time worth? If you're replacing the sheet every few years, you're spending your time. Also, although lvp may not increase the value of your house, sheet is ugly as duck and will decrease the house value.

4. beechkingd

beechkingd Well-Known Member

Why? He's just a big goofy golden. He's actually lost weight, he's down from 85 lbs, to a svelte 80 lbs now after being on a diet.

5. PMooney Jr.

PMooney Jr. Chasing the Old Man

Agree with these guys on the cheap sheet, ours is in and does look great but no way I'd use it again. This house will potentially come down at some point and be rebuilt in a different spot. Between that and a couple of other reasons, we used the sheet but wouldn't use it in any normal ish situation.

6. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

I put the hardwood look alike linoleum stuff in the back half of my house six years ago. Was dirt cheap on a buddy deal and has held up pretty well. You do have to spend some time cleaning the floors really well and make sure there are no staples left from the carpet padding. It would be my choice for sure for a rental house. Mainly because it is water proof where LVP is not.
    JMO

7. beechkingd

beechkingd Well-Known Member

LVP is water proof, it is basically the linoleum hardwood look alike.

turner38 likes this.
  8. R Acree

R Acree Banned

^^^Yep, if properly installed. It works well for the usual spills and such. I wouldn't recommend it as a pool liner.

CRA_Fizzer likes this.
  9. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

Ahh, misunderstood the abbreviation. Reckon that is what I put in my house then.

10. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Do you not hold onto a month's security deposit? :confused:

11. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

My average move-out costs me $5,000 on a $1,100 monthly rent.

12. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Expound, please.

13. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

I've self-managed my Albuquerque homes for 15-ish years from Montana. It did not work. The tenants are animals. They usually stick me with over $500 in unpaid utilities, houses are trashed, left behind junk, furniture, etc. They almost always require new paint and carpet, at a minimum. Its been a nightmare. I've had judgements against a few, but I don't pursue them. Too costly and even if you do get money from them, the judge allows small monthly payments.

I'm turning them all over to property management companies and the experience is getting better. This is the last one that I self manage.

14. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

quit renting to guys that look like this...

[​IMG]

Phl218 likes this.
  15. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

That's pretty much all of Albuquerque

Senna, Phl218 and ChemGuy like this.
  16. Wingnut

Wingnut Well-Known Member

The lumber liquidators stuff is garbage, read some reviews about the toxic chemicals in that stuff.

motion likes this.
  17. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Did the whole house without any transitions. I feel like a SpaceX engineer now. $1.89 per sq ft at Home Depot minus 12% bid desk discount. Interesting to see how it holds up to my savage tenants.

IMG_8293.jpg

Photo, Jedb, noles19 and 2 others like this.
  18. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

So what kind did you go with? How long did it take you to do, since you had to learn on the job? How much sq ft and how many rooms?

19. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Vinyl plank click together

Living room, kitchen, hallway, 3 bedrooms, laundry room - about 1300 sq ft

After prepping the floor, took me 5 days to install.

Before:

IMG_8247.jpg

Boman Forklift likes this.
  20. Schitzo42

Schitzo42 dweeb