1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thoughts on V6HW V7HW class structure

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by Outsider V6 V7, Nov 21, 2019.

1. VFR#52

VFR#52 Well-Known Member

I actually ment what brand and model and usally us old guys dont like to write all that detail on signup sheet. Lol
    Was hoping for photos of the old war horses posted.
    But the people who was to get me photos didn't so I fired them. Lol
    But a small detail compared to other things this last weekend.
    Thanks

Steven

2. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

V7 HW roll call Cycle Jam....I am in...V8HW and HWTSBK too... Loaning another TLR for John James in Cali who will be flying in to participate too... Can't wait to get beat by my own bike..lol

stickboy274 and VFR#52 like this.
  3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Ah, brand/CC is the best I've got.

VFR#52 likes this.
  4. Outsider V6 V7

Outsider V6 V7 Well-Known Member

Saturday competition V7HW was Eric Burrell Ducati, 996, John Burden Ducati 996, Steve Wilkening Honda RC51, Lance Yeager 1990 GSXR 750, Eboz 1986 GSXR 750, Jeff Johnson on the Seca 600 that makes good HP. I retired my 1216 and just missed completing the 100% stock, legal 883 SRAD. LOL Saturday V7HW race lance got a killer start and put a 2018 GSXR 750 between himself and Steve and I. Burell and Burden both got passed Lance then Burrell lunched a fresh motor on lap 2 which left John in second and much faster than any of us down the straight. I couldn't get by the modern bike for 2 laps, then Steve came by me fist pumping down the straight. I think we swapped positions a few times through the infield several laps then on lap six modern gsxr goes just a bit wide going into 2 and Steve slid underneath him which altered his line a little going into 3 which let me underneath into 4. As we come down the straight we both see lance 150 yards ahead and really just worked together reeling him in. In lances defense he was just in cruise mode as his lap times show. Last lap we both went into one way too fast for old men. I knew I needed 10 bike lengths to hold off Steve at the line but also a miracle if I had any hopes of getting past Lance. I'd passed Steve previously outside of 3 and outside of 4 so trust me those options were blocked so I politely gave him every bit of an inch as I went outside in 6 on the last lap. Got a great drive down the short stretch and shifted into 4th which let me get on the gas early and I came out maybe a half a bike length behind lance. Pulled out of the draft and got mid bike to him before I remembered he weighs 170 and I'm a stealthy 240 so I slowly started dropping back. 10 feet from the line the Slayer, AKA, Wookie, Steve came by me and almost got lance. Never laughed so hard on a cool down lap thinking how bad it would have been for Lance to have driven 11 hours, thinking he's about ready to take a second to end up 4th in the last 20 feet or so. Wookie and I laughed so hard that Lance and Burden wished they'd at least seen some of our antics. Had the best time finishing 4th and I'd do it again for the amount of joy I got from this. It was like the old days, we all hung out and helped one another or at a bare minimum insulted one another face to face for fun.

5. VFR#52

VFR#52 Well-Known Member

So basically this is really going to suck for us Come RA. Lol
    But Barber and Tally we may have a chance?
    Bahhhahahhaha.
    Great race report now fill us in on what went on Sunday and why you followed John around all race?

Steven

6. Outsider V6 V7

followed John around for 3 simple reasons. 1. He's a hell of a nice guy and I wouldn't do anything stupid to put a trophy in front of our safety. 2. He rode his fastest laps all weekend in that race. 3. He rode the last lap on a flawless line that left me no room on the inside or outside where I was faster. Took 3 big shots at him through the infield and just couldn't get it done. If I didn't mention it earlier I have the slowest bike in a straight line. LOL I rode the 750 in this race too as I've retired the 1216 blast furnace. LOL

VFR#52 and TLR67 like this.
  7. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

I talked to most of them after the race at separate times, and they all had a good time. It makes you want to be in the middle of it.

VFR#52 and TLR67 like this.
  8. yokohama1

yokohama1 Well-Known Member

Hmm, this makes me even more disappointed that I couldn’t attend. Work and personal commitments have gotten way more involved the past few months as a result of Covid but I really am going to try and make a few rounds with the Ape this year.

VFR#52 likes this.
  9. Outsider V6 V7

There was a casper the friendly ghost sighting outside my toy hauler.

Attached Files:

CLM81 and TLR67 like this.
  10. fastedyamaha

fastedyamaha Well-Known Member

Boy I’ll bet that supertrap exhaust is a loud sob

11. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

That is sweet Eric!

12. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

That is sweet Eric!

13. Outsider V6 V7

This is Lance Yeagers bike. We finished putting it together Friday evening then pulled some parts off my backup bike to get him sorted after the first session Saturday. Lance and I met for the first time at Roebling 20 years ago and have stayed in touch all these years. Sometimes it's not always just about the racing but the friends you make along the way. As for the exhaust being loud, he called me Thursday and said he'd put the baffling discs on the end. I told him to take them off as it runs the perforated steel tube inside just like a yosh or any other brand. Wasn't as loud as either of the other V6HW gsxr 750's. Both the 1990's were faster than me on the long straight, I could draft with them but not by them. Probably because I outweigh both but the flexible framed 1986 absolutely owned the infield and braking zones. Honestly the three bikes could not have been more evenly matched. The first race we all passed one another at least one time. As for the bump up class V7HW, I know Steve Wilkening and I easily swapped positions 5 or 6 times. We've raced in the past in V7HW when I was on the 1216 so was very comfortable riding close with him. I swear he was fist pumping the first time passed me on the straight. The last lap we went deeeep into turn one and I'm sure he heard me laughing and cussing him. important to note that this wasn't for P1 it was for third place. Proves once again that some of your best race memories won't always be about the wins but the fun. I ended up 4th in this shootout and have talked and posted more about this than my 3 other races of which I won 2 and got second in the other. Good times, oh good times.

pawpawrc and VFR#52 like this.
  14. Outsider V6 V7

Mark P, looking forward to seeing you on the track later this month. LOL not really on the track, what I meant to say is looking forward to the track side cooking and cuisine. LOL What do you need me to bring. LOL

TLR67 and VFR#52 like this.
  15. pawpawrc

pawpawrc Well-Known Member

Eric whupped my ass getting to the beer which was the REAL race. Goddamn I can’t stop smiling about it. I was standing on my pegs looking left at Lance going across the line. Eboz had the nose of his bike right about where my swing arm pivot is. Just so happy to have people out there to make battle with.

VFR#52 likes this.
  16. Outsider V6 V7

after the battle we went back to the pits and G-raped and S-pillaged.

Harry V. III likes this.
  17. fastedyamaha

fastedyamaha Well-Known Member

The camaraderie is what makes vintage racing the best class of racing, hands down.

TLR67 likes this.
  18. ScottyRock155

ScottyRock155 A T-Rex going RAWR!

Man I hate that I missed this. My bike is ready but between a small suit issue, (as in I'm too fat) and the fact that I start a new job in a few days I had to call it off at the last minute. My GSXR is ready to go and while it looks like RA is doubtful right now with work, I've already made plans to be at Barber on the 4th of July.

I know things are crazy right now so it was great to see the turnout. Hopefully it keeps up and grows!

TLR67 likes this.
  19. Outsider V6 V7

Ok so I'm trying to get a mental list of who all plans to play with us this year. I can name most of the southern boys coming out but the yankees need to chime in and let us know what you got.
    Rider

20. Outsider V6 V7

Eboz V6HW 1986 GSXR 750 V7HW 1996 SRAD 750
    Brad Coleman V6HW 1992 GSXR 750
    John Burden V6HW 1990 GSXR 750 V7HW 2000 Ducati 996
    Scott Unger V7HW 1996 SRAD 750
    Lance Yeager V6HW 1990 GSXR 750
    Wookie, P&^%y Slayer, Steve Wilkening V7HW 2000 Honda RC51
    Gary Elkins V6HW 1986 GSXR 750 V7HW 1996 SRAD 750
    Larry Berna????? V6HW 1986 GSXR 750 V7HW 1995 CBR 900RR
    Mark Junge V6HW 1992 GSXR 750 V7HW 2000 TL 1000
    Mark Perrone V7HW TL 1000R
    Eric Burrell V7HW 2000 Ducati 996
    Mike Burns V7HW 1994 YZF 750
    Mike Reed V7HW 1994 YZF 750
    John Jacobi V6HW 1992 ZX7 and same bike for V7HW
    Chris Onweiler V6HW 1989 GSXR 750

21. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

I was already taking a hiatus from road racing and planned on just hare scrambling with my daughter........then a summit round ended up on the schedule. Plus I’m 40 lbs+ grown out of my suit since my last race in September. We are hare scrambling the week before, so between that and PL meet prep, I’m likely out. Crappy on my part........my fzr400/600 could use some fresh air.

Outsider V6 V7 likes this.