1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dirt bikes

Discussion in 'General' started by Wheel Bearing, Oct 27, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

Does anyone bother with balancing their dirtbike tires?

I’ve had the front seemingly hopping when I get around 45 mp/h between trailheads and yes - the tire was mounted with its yellow balance mark in the right spot.

My biggest concern would be having the spoke weight(s) come off and put a hole in something. Do any trail riders use wheel weights?

2. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

3. renegade17

renegade17 Well-Known Member

arent you suppose to ride wheelies between the trails? Maxxis SI tires have been the business for me the last few times around.

4. Resident Plarp

I suck at wheelies.

How was that big Beta bomber ya got thurrr?

5. renegade17

renegade17 Well-Known Member

When its on its pretty awesome, had a few dumb issues pop up but i should have it back in action by the weekend if i dont have to use a boat to get to my barn.

6. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

If you have the rim lock installed that is a major contributor to wheel hop at speed. My friend really likes this style of weight as it's bolted to the spoke instead of crimped like the older lead style. I have also seen thick lead wire wrapped around spokes that seemed to be pretty stout. But from those who actually balance their wheels I hear noting but positive reviews. No one has said that it's a waste of time or effort.

7. Vinny337

Vinny337 Vin is in...Beastmode!

Thank you! Great information...

8. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

If you're concerned at least put it on the balance stand and check it? And maybe moving the tire 90-180 degrees on the rim would improve or eliminate the issue?

9. eggfooyoung

What the fuck are y'all doin with your dirtbikes up there, riding to your Klan meetings and burning crosses and shit?

cav115 likes this.
  10. eggfooyoung

I get what you're saying, but it's gonna be tough to offset the weight of the rimlock without supplemental weight, as no tire is that far out of balance.

11. eggfooyoung

I'm a Michelin Starcross guy. While no rubber is as good as new rubber, the fall off isn't too noticeable.

I wish they still made the XC12's.

12. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

Yep understood but worth a try if it bugs him that much.

13. Resident Plarp

If you’ve ever gridded up for a green flag, doesn’t that make you a racist?

14. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

PSA: Buy and wear the best gear possible: My boots saved my foot and y roost guard/neck brace saved my ribs. I was involved in a head-on yesterday. The other rider got a cut on his hand, but my boot hit something on his bike real hard, and I slammed into my bars as I stopped. Three broken toes, bruised chest, and lightly bent boot toe piece and foot peg. WEAR THAT GEAR!
    The doctor congratulated me on having "the most completely broken big toe I have ever seen." Cold comfort indeed.
    Yes, I have more graphic pictures, but I'll spare the public from the nasty images.
    20200528_145859.jpg 20200528_110047.jpg 20200527_174318.jpg

cav115 likes this.
  15. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

the s12xc fronts ??
    yup, the starcross 5 "soft" front and "medium" rear is my fav setup (almost no rocks or hardpack that i ride). 30% lighter carcass, only 2 ply now (not 3) so can add 1-2 psi if you want the feel firmed up a little. The new rubber of these holds up a lot longer imo than the harder rubber compound of the old s12xc's .. takes longer to break knobs off now i find.

16. Resident Plarp

Troof. I’ve never high-sided higher, or had the bars stolen from my hands harder, or been throw to the ground with more violence than when riding trails, scrambles &etc.

Spend the money on gear, or, at the least, pay for health insurance that has a minimal deductible and/or out-of-pocket max.

17. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

I always balance tires, dirt, street, any kind of racing. The only tires I don't balance are trials, and I have occasionally balanced them in the past.

Balance makes a huge difference in wheel hop. Do you transit road sections in between dirt sections? It makes a difference. Do you ride fast on dirt? It makes a difference. It made a huge difference in desert racing given the speeds. It makes a difference on dirt track depending on the track length, speeds, condition, etc. It is sooooooo easy and simple and the results work.

I remember being in Baja racing the 500 and some desert racer didn't have a clue what the balancing mark on the side of the tire was for. Those guys also don't safety wire anything (they used to wire spokes).

I suppose if all you do is supercross type stuff and change tires all the time and never have extended high speed or road sections, it would not make sense. But, that ain't me.

Oh well, whatever works for you.

Cheers,

Dave

18. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

I use spoke weights and/or stick-on weights - whatever fits and is available.

Lightweight rim locks are your friend. MotionPro makes some nice kit.

Cheers,

Dave

19. d_alexand

d_alexand Well-Known Member

Dang. I know that foot hurts like a mutha.

Did the Dr give you a walking boot or put you in a cast?

20. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

I got a shoe.
    It honestly doesn't hurt. Uncomfortable and inflexible, but not so much with the pain. But the colors are something to behold!