1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dirt bikes

Discussion in 'General' started by Wheel Bearing, Oct 27, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

The VIN is in!!! My man. Where you racing that bad boy? I want to try out some dirt stuff as well. What series are you looking at checking out?

Vinny337 likes this.
  2. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

Its perfect mechanically. It was only $50 for all new plastics, tank, and seat so I'm not exactly breaking the bank. Plus my 3 year old will inherit it probably next summer so I don't mind putting a few bucks into it looking cool for them.

DmanSlam likes this.
  3. Spooner

I"ll beat Melka to the punch and say Michelin Starcross 5 medium front and rear. They work fantastically in basically any terrain and hold up really well too. Can't go wrong.

Vinny337 likes this.
  4. Vinny337

Vinny337 Vin is in...Beastmode!

Big John!! What's going on Bro! Most likely PA since it's so close to me. I haven't checked out a series yet, I'm still doing some research...This is an entirely different world.

Wheel Bearing likes this.
  5. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

Check out my new dirtbike. I only need to put fuel in it once a season [​IMG]

6. Vinny337

I'm a Pirelli guy but I guess it doesn't matter in the dirt.

7. Spooner

How much gas does it carry? "all of it"

8. HPPT

HPPT !!!

That thing must be slow as fuck until mid-August.

badmoon692008 and DmanSlam like this.
  9. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

Pirelli makes great off road tires, I prefer the XC model in whatever flavor of terrain you will be riding.

PRO TIP- the tire will be classified for the terrain you are riding, not the tire compound: mHard tires are for hard terrain (and are typically soft compound to flex for grip); Medium is a mix of hard and soft terrain (this is usually the go-to compound for "general use" riders), and Soft is for stuff like sand and mud. However, Sand and Mud have their own special knobby design, so if you are choosing either hard or soft, get your education on for that tire.

So go Medium in pretty much any brand and you won't be disappointed.

Vinny337 likes this.
  10. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

The new Metzeler MC360s are getting great reviews. They are extremely durable and come in mid soft or mid hard applications.

11. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

My go to set is the Scorpion PRO front and a Scorpion Mid-Soft XC rear. I like the Pro front more than the XC Mid soft front because of the way it slides with control and how it acts in the ruts. Highland Park Resort is a big mix of clay and rock with a bit of loam and I get great durability in these conditions.

Vinny337 likes this.
  12. Vinny337

Great information. Thanks you!

13. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

And if you want to try something different for nasty wet, muddy, rocky conditions their is the Metzeler 6 Days Extreme rear 140/80-18 in the super soft compound. Durability is good but it will wear faster than a regular soft version of the same tire. And it's like a grippy ass trials tire but with wider knob spacing

Vinny337 likes this.
  14. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

going to go against the grain here, and suggest dunlop at81 tires. work well in michigan woods, sand, rocks, wet terrain. probably similar terrain to Pa. tires are like oil... user choice. Ski

Vinny337 likes this.
  15. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

Lots of people around here use the Kenda Ibex and Ibex hybrid. Great for single track/hard enduro type stuff.

Vinny337 likes this.
  16. Spooner

I've run the ibex and it grips the rocks for sure. But if you want any durability at all then that's not the tire. I'm not a 'spinner' and it was pretty roached after one race. The fast guys have knobs missing after a race.

17. MotoGP69

MotoGP69 Well-Known Member

My new-ish steed. 2019 250 XC.

A0B2ED64-9B8C-47BF-8431-65750383972C.jpeg

masshole, Phl218, NickyZ and 3 others like this.
  18. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Lmfao!

19. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

Good info, thanks. I haven't run the XC recently as I've been bouncing between bikes and haven't committed to a true dirt set up yet. But I have the Shinko 216 90/90 (not the fatty) and the rear is... I forget, ready to mount when my new-to-me Beta 430 arrives in a week-ish.

@Vinny337 another type of tire is the "hybrid" or "gummy" tire like @Pneumatico Delle Vittorie mentioned in the Metzeler flavor. All of the brands sell some sort of "hybrid" with soft everything and super grip capabilities, grips like a mofo, but it will wear out faster than a "regular" knobby tire. But it's more info to support a decision.

Vinny337 likes this.
  20. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

That Dunlop compound is a really nice tire and it’s all I’ve used for the last four seasons. They do fall off, where grip is concerned, rather quickly. Two or three weekends of Michigan trail riding or one weekend of racism and it’s time for a new set. It has evolved a bit over the years, and the knobbies don’t chunk off like they used to, but even if it looks lightly worn after a weekend or two, the grip just isn’t the same as new.

Last weekend, I rode a Michelin Starcross-equipped 300 XC around my property and now I’m going to give those a try. The edge grip, braking power and acceleration on that bike were excellent, and not just because it was a light bike.

Coming from a 250 XC-F with the aforementioned Done-pops on it, I’m convinced those tires made all the difference in how I got around on the most familiar terrain I ride.

That, and now I need to buy a big two-smoke.

Vinny337 likes this.