1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quarantine AC unit help Please

Discussion in 'General' started by EngineNoO9, Apr 13, 2020.

1. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Do you know if the technician who replaced the compressor flushed the system and installed filter/driers? There would be two canisters the size of beer cans on the refrigerant lines. One a standard 12oz, and the other a silo can. :D

2. EngineNoO9

EngineNoO9 Well-Known Member

There’s a drier. I’m having issues measuring the capacitance of the compressor side of the capacitors. So either my capacitors are bad or I’m doing it wrong. Lol

3. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Did you disconnect the wires? Otherwise it will read the winding resistance and give you nothing.

4. EngineNoO9

No the limit on the meter I have is 5 microfarad. So it’ll read the fan side but that’s it.

5. EngineNoO9

They offer a cheat way to do it using the resistance function. Doing that now

6. EngineNoO9

It checks out. So I’m at a loss. I tried measuring the resistance across the coils and they seem ok. So either no Freon or there’s a control wire that’s messed up still.

7. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Low pressure cutoff would interrupt 24v to the contactor, so that's out. As long as you don't have a short to ground you can try a hard start kit. Basically a start capacitor with a potential relay. You just wire it in parallel with the "herm" and "C" on your dual capacitor.

8. lee955i

lee955i The Traveling Gnome

I assume you have 220v at the high side of the contactor? If so, fire up the unit and use an INSULATED screwdriver to push in the contactor manually and see if the compressor starts. Could be a bad contactor. IF it doesn't and you have 220 on both high and low sides, then bad cap or compressor. Yes, all ohm measurements should be taken with the wiring isolated.

9. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

I've had caps test fine and still be bad

10. EngineNoO9

So here’s behind my thermostat for colors. Based on this I don’t think black needs to be connected to anything at the unit. White goes to aux heat so I guess it’s nothing as well

Attached Files:

11. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Looks correct, but I'm not sure what's up with the white and black wire at the condenser. You'd have to look in the air handler and see what they're connected to in there.