1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

3.0 liter diesel half tons - real world experience

Discussion in 'General' started by nlzmo400r, Feb 19, 2020.

?

Which and why?

1. GMC - like a Chevy, but nicer and worth the extra $

18.8%
  2. Chevy - same as the GMC but cheaper

21.9%
  3. Ford - Something about strokin'

21.9%
  4. RAM - You spend all your time driving in the truck and it has the nicest interior

37.5%
  1. Phl218

Phl218 .

you could still have “your buddy in Mexico” send your ecu to Greendieselengineering

they don’t flash US vehicle ecus any more, but still for out of country.
    My RAM truck in Germany runs that tune and it’s a world and a half different than before and especially after the update

that short drive home from the dealer was a joke. ECU swap took 10 minutes

XFBO likes this.
  2. Andymax

Andymax Well-Known Member

For what it's worth...I have an EcoDiesel with 195K miles on it. GDE tuned since 44K. I did have the fuel pump fail at 172K, and a radiator replaced under warranty at 96K. Otherwise I've had ZERO issues. 95% highway driving, relatively little towing. Winter fuel gets me 28-29mpg, normally 30+. There are many examples of EcoDiesels with well over 200K, and one known that went 374K with 90% towing,and his replacement just hit 295K. Yes, there are certainly some Gen2 EcoD's with lower bearing issues and the EGR issue is causing some problems, but in the grand scheme these remain the exceptions. This latest Gen3 EcoD looks very promising, but time and miles will tell that story, same with the Ford and GM options.

Is the EcoD or any of the 3 liter Diesels right for you? That depends on your use case...for me it's damn near perfect. EVERY modern, emissions-choked diesel is a candidate for issues, so if yours hasn't had any yet, that's great for you, and I sure hope it stays that way, but to think it can't happen is just defying reality. I'm shooting for 300K which will take me another two years in a normal economy, and I'm worried about that damned EGR...

One thing I find funny in these debates is that for every success story where someone just swears by how awesome a particular setup is, there is someone else that has anecdotal evidence of how that same setup is a flaming pile of shit to be avoided at all costs. Ford-Chevy-Ram...2-stroke-4Stroke... Cummins-Duramax-Powerstroke...and on and on. Certainly keeps me coming back!!

Hope you are all staying safe.

ducnut likes this.
  3. Andymax

Andymax Well-Known Member

Sadly, this won't work. GDE will require proof of vehicle registration so just having ashipping address outside the USA won't cut it. Sucks...cuz it's a great product.

4. Phl218

Phl218 .

oh snap, overlooked that.

5. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

Still hitting about 30. But I haven’t been on the road hard for about 3 weeks. We are on self imposed do not travel for a while.

NemesisR6 likes this.
  6. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

7. nlzmo400r

nlzmo400r Well-Known Member

Looks to be just a small lift and bigger tires on an otherwise stock F250 right? You could probably get a few year old one and build it yourself to get the same effect. But man, seeing $75-$85k price tags is eye watering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

My F150 is getting about 3 weeks to the gallon.

#silverlinings

backcountryme and ChemGuy like this.
  9. One2

One2 Well-Known Member

This 3.0 didn’t last.

[​IMG]

10. sharkattack

sharkattack Rescued pets over people. All day, every day

11. One2

One2 Well-Known Member

I had the same reaction because I like Mopar.

I like the 5.7, 6.4, and 6.7

I don’t think I’d ever buy a 3.0

Keep in mind that this is the only 3.0 I’ve heard of blowing up. But still, I’d rather have a proven engine from Mopar like the liters I mentioned previously.

I believe they offer the best interior out of all the “American” brands. And my family heritage won’t let me move away from Mopar due to sentimental reasons. My late uncle owned several Rams.

12. Phl218

Phl218 .

what exactly happened?

13. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

The needed "Mor-Powr" so they putting in a bowtie!:D

14. One2

One2 Well-Known Member

It belongs to a coworker, close friend, and track day buddy of mine. I’ll post the details when I get them. The Jeep is still currently still down.

I’ve driven it twice on 2 of our track days. It’s a nice ride but unfortunately, it didn’t last long.

15. One2

One2 Well-Known Member

Lol

16. ScottyRock155

ScottyRock155 A T-Rex going RAWR!

Why isn't it under warranty?

17. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Ford has actually lowered all standard Superduties by ~1”, so this truck technically isn’t much higher, if any, than the pre-2019 trucks.

One would be much better to buy a standard truck and invest in Carli or Thuren suspension systems and buy the tire and wheel package one desires. With leveling, 37’s easily fit. With 4.5” of lift, 40’s will fit.

18. nlzmo400r

That’s interesting. Do you know why they lowered the trucks? Seems it would only be for MPG but that shouldn’t matter on a vehicle that isn’t rated.

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

My bet is stubby people.

Phl218 likes this.
  20. nlzmo400r

I thought all these big trucks had power step ladders now.