1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Over Suit AirBag Vests

Discussion in 'General' started by hippiedreads, Dec 19, 2019.

1. michael_chicago

michael_chicago Well-Known Member

I use a Hit Air. Deployed in a low-speed lowside in T11 at CMP and a 3rd-gear ls in T1 at Loudon on a Ninja 400. No injuries other than a sprained finger at Loudon.

I feel like it offers a lot of protection, especially for the sides of the rib cage.

Not sure about the other models, but repairs aren’t really an option since they have to go back to Japan. I burned a small hole in the vest in the Loudon crash and it perforated the air bladder, rendering it useless.

I used to hum a tune “helmet, boots, leathers and gloves” while packing for the track 20 years ago (to not forget the critical stuff). I’ve now appended “chest protector, back protector, armored shorts and vest” to the little diddy. I’m very thankful for the advances in protection over the years.

Miles at Street and Competition sells Hit Air.

Good luck.

2. Same for mx neck braces. I’ve read both sides of the argument and it’s just playing the odds. Every crash is different and statistically speaking from the data I have reviewed I’ll wear my Leatt any time I put an mx helmet on.

3. 418

418 Expert #59

This seems way above and beyond the best option.

It's compatible with any suit/jacket and has similar technology to A* and Dainese, without the pricetag.

Newyork and Senna like this.
  4. SundaySocial

SundaySocial Blue & Gold

The SoCal Dainese rep recommended it to me specifically for racing.

5. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

You might want to have him clarify his statement. Everything I’ve seen from Dainese is that they don’t recommend it for track use. But their reps seem to be saying otherwise.

If they say it’s good for track, I’d buy one.

Attached Files:

6. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Expound on that...multiple spills in a couple years is not a protective gear issue.
    Are these trackdays? Racing? What's the crash/event ratio?
    I won't say you shouldn't wear the best gear available, but how about learning to stop crashing? Saves time, money and those around you on the track would appreciate, too. You'll be less likely to be a wrecking ball or delaying the event.
    If this is happening on the street, well, good luck...nobody's gonna give a shit.
    If it's happening during a race, you get some leniency cuz you're expected to be at the limit.
    Trackdays? WTF are you thinking? Back off if you can't keep it upright and seriously consider investing in rider education.
    You know what? Just get to a school...best rider investment(s) you could ever make regardless of where you ride.

Yzasserina likes this.
  7. beechkingd

beechkingd Well-Known Member

Having spent three months in a rigid neck brace after a high speed get off, I purchased a hitair vest. I don't ride on asphalt without one.

8. sdiver

sdiver Well-Known Member

Hit air that was deployed 3 times. Twice in low sides, didn't really do anything. Another was a high side and it was like landing on pillows.

I now wear Tech Air but the Hit Air is quality protection against the worst impacts. The only downside is some slight but noticeable drag at high speed tracks like Daytona or Road America. At those tracks I practiced with bag on but raced with it off.

9. rice r0cket

rice r0cket Well-Known Member

Alpinestars let's you flash the street firmware onto their race vests, which validates the need to have different algorithms for different situations. At least statistically significant enough that both the big players feel that there's a need to keep them separate.

10. R/T Performance

R/T Performance Well-Known Member

i use the hit air race vest i deployed one low speed low side after i was sliding.
    no damage just a quick repack road in it the next day.
    it's a great vest for the cost

11. hippiedreads

hippiedreads Active Member

Well 3 crashes in 2 years all at trackdays probably 50+ days and yes all three spills were my fault. I started in Novice and my first day I lost the front tire getting onto the gas too early trying to keep up with a coach. Second one was in I group and I didn't get my tires to temp before pushing it and learned my lesson real quick on the importance of taking 2 full warm up laps on DOT tires without tire warmers. Third one was last season running A group and on Q3+ tires, I missed my line just a bit and hit a dip in the asphalt mid-corner, started to lose the front, tried to Marquez and save it... wound up falling off the bike.

I'm planning on doing the Cali SuperBike School when it comes to town and am definitely working on being the best, most disciplined rider I can possibly be. I appreciate you sharing your wisdom and input. I will continue to learn; however, learning and finding where the limitations are is an important part of learning. If this concerns you, I'll be traveling around with the National Series as a squidbilly on an older gixxer 600 for sure racing C but might also do B. Teach me a thing or two on the track or off the track! I've always got an open ear for those who want to help.

To everyone else, really appreciate the input. I think I'm leaning towards a Hit-Air but might hold off to see what the Ixon brand goes for in the states.

12. fastfreddie

You sound level-headed enough to figure it out on your own but, certainly, there's always room to ingest other's experience and knowledge. Those are best served by a school or individual coach.

I'm not sure your relative level of riding gives you the experience to correctly ascertain the causes of your misfortune, but that you think you know well enough to express it is a good thing...shows you're conscious of your riding, and we all know riding is mental.

BTW, bringing your bike and yourself home in one piece each is how you win your trackday. :D

13. ahastings

ahastings Well-Known Member

I use the hit-air. Ive crashed 5 times with them on. have ruined 2 of them. But they are reasonably priced . If you slide on the pavement they tend to get destroyed. I feel like they have protected me even though there is no way to know for sure. I feel uncomfortable now when I dont have it on. Only negative is they are ugly and dont look good in pics. lol. Also I recommend the race version with the canister in the back, I tried the one with canister in the frnt but it hits the tank switching from side to side. And for fastfreddie yes I race and I usually crash at least once or twice a season.

hippiedreads likes this.
  14. fastfreddie

I was good for three my last season, iirc. Try harder. :crackup:

15. badmoon692008

badmoon692008 Well-Known Member

I've lowsided with my hit air 5 or 6 times now over a few seasons and it's held up fine every time with just some normal scuffing on the textile.

16. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

It's still missing side rib protection, something that the A* Tech-Air has over most of these internal vest setups. It seems.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2020
  17. hippiedreads

hippiedreads Active Member

18. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

19. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

I'll second the recommendation of the school, in addition to the gear. The best way to not hurt is to stop crashing. I crashed a lot my first year and a half on the track. Mostly stupid mistakes. I went to school and didn't crash in the next 5 years, and improved my laptimes substantially while having more control and confidence.

hippiedreads likes this.
  20. SundaySocial

SundaySocial Blue & Gold

So I asked the question: "Is this jacket suitable for use on the race track ? I am looking for something that I could wear on the street and at the track, over my leathers"
    Dainese answered the question on the website "The Smart Jacket is part of our "Street" collection so there are some differences between that and our "Race" D-Air system. The street system has a more sensitive algorithm than the race system due to the more aggressive nature of track riding. Something like a partial highside into a tank-slapper might not deploy the race system if you ride it out. The street system might deploy in that case, however. Ultimately, you are welcome to use it on the track, but it is best intended for street use.

nd4spd likes this.