1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Team Hammer replacing Yoshimura

Discussion in 'General' started by redtailracing, Dec 13, 2019.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Riders putting themselves out there doing bike nights and the like would be HUGE. Social media is a given as well. At the club level especially as we don't have the ability or budget to do any sort of promotion to the masses, hell we can barely afford our ads in RRW that are directed at you guys. Talking about it, flyers at any place you can put them up, inviting friends to events - and no, 20-25 bucks for a weekend is NOT expensive in the real world away from cheap ass racers always looking for a discount :D

track wagon, cav115 and Brian Van like this.
  2. Brian Van

Brian Van Track Gear Retailer

For sure more than there were in the past.

YamahaRick, ducnut and cav115 like this.
  3. Brian Van

Brian Van Track Gear Retailer

It is all about the impressions man. We need to get motorcycles in front of more people. I know Mike Davis (Blake's Dad) is doing this in his neck of the woods.

cav115 likes this.
  4. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

I think there's enough of us Gen X folks to keep the sport going for longer than 10-15 years. My 3.5 year old twins are definitely being exposed to the sport.

Maybe create a promotional link / flier that can be printed out in PDF so folk who care can distribute locally? Or is there one already on the website and I don't know about it?

Brian Van likes this.
  5. While that is a very broad brush to paint the entire nation with, it does have some merit.

Now, many parents are raising kids to think masculinity is “toxic”. There are constant battles to completely remove score keeping from sports so kids don’t have to experience losing. Parents are too worried about a kid getting hurt, than they are a kid experiencing exciting things. It’s easier to just put a phone or iPad in their hand.

THAT is the biggest difference.

Take a snapshot at any point in time, 10 years ago, 20 years ago, whenever...and there will be people struggling with school and student loans, people struggling to make ends meet, and some people will expendable income.

Transportation has always been expensive, motorcycles have always been a hobby, and the nation has always been big/spread out.

The only things that have change are:
    1. The availability (and use) of technology.
    2. More pussies being raised.

cav115 likes this.
  6. Hoffman900

Hoffman900 Well-Known Member

I worked as a field geologist before being one of the top field managers on $120+ million construction projects.

Last project I was on, 11 miles of interstate was widening in <1.5 years. The project was run and built by millennials and some Gen X’ers.

Field geologist, again, the crews were millennials. Some older generations, but they liked to talk about how tough they were and how lazy we were, while standing there watching us work. lol.

I’m going to go with the make up of most generations is about the same (tough vs. “pussies”). My buddy manages an electrical contracting company. His most cantankerous and problem employees are boomers who like to talk about how tough they are while showing up 1) late to work nursing a hangover 2) just lazy but like barking orders and challenging their supervisors on every decision... (if you’ve been at this 30+ years and aren’t in charge, there probably is a reason ;) ).

ANYWAY, people have money, the motorcycle industry isn’t dying, just people’s tastes change and they’re spending it elsewhere. I remember telling some older racing friends, who were sitting around the paddock bitching about millennials, “why the hell would we want to pay a bunch of money to hang around with a bunch of old farts who think we suck?”.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2019
    solson1041 likes this.
  7. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

To kick their ass on track of course...

grasshopper and eppy01f4i like this.
  8. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

Not sure what that has to do with motorcycle racers.

Again talk to some people that are out there dealing with it everyday other than just your industry and your experience.

Kenny Roberts was on the world stage as a motorcycle racer he probably knows what it takes.

Having said that I'm pretty sure that the world war II generation men were tougher than you and I both...

To some degree they probably thought we were pussies.

As the generations pass as you well know especially now parents try to be their kids best friend and never want to see them go through anything tough.

So make fun of old people all you want that your opinion and you're welcome to have it.

I'm talking about current information from all over the nation from different sources.

And many are great kids.

But to say it isn't changed as a nation is completely wrong.

Talk to some employers that are trying to hire people these days....

It's definitely the me generation.

You mentioning. geologists building a highway..

What are you telling me there?

Last edited: Dec 18, 2019
    ducnut and Gorilla George like this.
  9. G 97

G 97 Garth

Thank you distinguished Gentleman and fellow GenXers.
    Let the record show and let’s make it perfectly clear: Millennials are huge pussies.
    Accept your well earned place in history.
    I yield back. :D

cav115 likes this.
  10. Spang308

Spang308 Well-Known Member

Nobody I went to school with had any idea what a safe space was. Closest thing we had was our bedroom to which we were banished after a good ass beating.
    Just sayin' :D

tl1098, Gorilla George, brex and 2 others like this.
  11. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

:crackup:

12. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

An easy comparison is soldiers, from the civil war period, onward. There were some hard motherfuckers, way back then. Today, on the broad spectrum, not so much. When today’s recruits cry about a drill getting in their face? Fuck off!

cav115 likes this.
  13. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

blah blah blah... i know what he shows people. and i don't care to know him. he's a dick in every single video interview ever on earth that i've ever seen which must be about 2 dozen at this point, and if you're to take what Mamola says in interviews as truth, well then he was a giant dick there too. and mostly i don't care cause it impacts me zero, but also mostly him making broad generalizations is what gets the facetious response i provided. your whataboutism dick riding doesn't sway any of that. he can advocate and work with racers all he wants, and you can put him on a pedestal all you want... doesn't change a thing.

14. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

And we wonder why JU doesn’t comment here anymore...

:rolleyes:

ducnut likes this.
  15. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

Good talk.

Merry Christmas.

16. Marcos415

Marcos415 Well-Known Member

But the USA 2016 Olympic team demolished all other nations. The NFL and NBA is mainly made of Americans, and UFC/boxing has several American champions. If we are truly raising a nation of pussies then wouldn’t that affect all sports across the board? If that truly is the reason then why does it only affect moto racing?

Like I said in a previous post, I think it’s hard to draw interest from a crowd that will never or have never participated in the sport. My slow pitch softball buddies are into the MLB, my flag football buddies are into the NFL, my track buddies are into motogp/Moto America.

Please note I said track buddies because I have had several coworkers/buddies that ride their gixxers strictly on the street and have ZERO interest in track days or racing because of the costs.

17. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

I can`t speak to the Olympics, did`nt know we swept every sport there.

NFL? The rules hardly allow for real hits anymore. NBA and MLB; don`t know how tough you have to be to play those..

None of those compare to roadracing as I see it....not really apples to apples.

18. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

FTFY.

cav115 and G 97 like this.
  19. It’s about the loss of passions for anything with a motor, it’s dying. Cars are a tool for kids and the passion is going along with it. Just like motorcycles. It sucks but it’s reality. A lot of kids see no need for a car when they can Uber and half the time that’s quicker than warming up your car, etc.

Ra.Ge. Raptor, ducnut and cav115 like this.
  20. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

Hiroshima pipes are the bomb.

cav115 likes this.