1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Once upon a time in Hollywood"

Discussion in 'General' started by Gorilla George, Dec 16, 2019.

1. SpeedyE

SpeedyE Experimental prototype, never meant for production

2. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

The movie had good photography, but was a total abortion. A complete waste of time except maybe for the 20 last minutes.

3. Mechdziner714

Mechdziner714 More Gas Less Brakes

So the exact opposite opposite of From Dusk til Dawn:)

cha0s#242 likes this.
  4. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

Yes; yes it was. As was Once Upon a Time in Mexico.

And was actually called "From Dusk 'till Dawn".
    Robert Rodriguez never made a finer film that his first (El Mariachi). Sometimes big budgets don't make things better.

I want to assign him a 2 page write-up/synposis on Rashomon. Whoo boy. :D

SpeedyE likes this.
  5. Brian Van

Brian Van Track Gear Retailer

If I tell you it will spoil the whole fucking thing. Watch it all the way through. Should be pretty obvious as you get closer to the end.

6. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

Or fuckin’ Primer.

Knotcher likes this.
  7. motoboy

motoboy Well-Known Member

I think "Hot Fuzz" does the best job in cinema of dove-tailing a bunch of seemingly unrelated storylines together with "Lock, Stock & Two Smoking Barrels" as a close second, although Ritchie mostly lets you in on the secrets from the get-go.

As far as Terentino goes, I loved "True Romance" and "Dusk Til Dawn" right up to the moment Cheech shows up, then I'm all like, ugh. The rest of his stuff I find too gratuitous.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2019
  8. sbk1198

sbk1198 Well-Known Member

Yep, it was like that to the end. Tarantino is notorious for making movies where the first 2 hours nothing really happens, just a bunch of useless scenes, but it does sort of set up for the shit show that's about to happen in the last 20-30 minutes. This one, however, was not like that. Ending was disappointing and it didn't make the first 2 hours all that relevant. I was pretty pissed that I wasted almost 2.5 hours watching it. Tarantino movies are a hit and miss IMO...they're either really good or shitty, not much in between. I really liked Inglorious Bastards, Django Unchained and The Hateful Eight. Hated the Kill Bill movies though, this one, and a few other ones he made. Only saw Pulp Function a very long time ago when I was a kid, so I can't really comment on that one.

Gorilla George likes this.
  9. busa99

busa99 Well-Known Member

I stand corrected.
    But he did write it and star in it. I guess that’s why I relate it to him.

10. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Umm...that makes it a Tarentino movie.

busa99 likes this.
  11. Badger911GT3

Badger911GT3 Well-Known Member

I loved this movie. But then again, I love pretty much all Tarantino movies. I don't think every scene needs to obviously advance the plot. Some of Tarantino's scenes are just him indulging himself in a dynamic between two characters he likes. Like the scene between Leo and that young girl actress. Good acting and interesting dialogue are a pleasure to watch, even if it feels like a cul-de-sac in the movie.

12. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

13. CharlieY

CharlieY Well-Known Member

No intent to hijack, it does go with the OP's frustration......OK, so there's a bunch of Tarantino fans in one place, perfect!.......Q:

Pulp Fiction: What is up with the bandaid on the back of Maurice Wallaces neck?????.....Its there thru the entire timeline (if you can track it)

Thanx

14. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

one of my favs to watch people watch

15. 88/532

88/532 Simply Antagonistical

Fify

Gorilla George likes this.
  16. Lawn Dart

Lawn Dart Difficult. With a big D.

I hated Once Upon A Time In Hollywood, and I'm generally a Tarantino fan... Honestly, it felt like a Hollywood circlejerk... The story didn't have a point, but was filled with "hey, remember this thing?" and "what about this guy? or this inside joke?"

I love Pulp Fiction so much... Reservoir Dogs, Django, The Hateful Eight, Jackie Brown... I get all of them... This, I don't get at all.

cha0s#242, sbk1198 and NemesisR6 like this.
  17. Lawn Dart

Lawn Dart Difficult. With a big D.

Two Days In The Valley would be fun to watch him watch too... He'd be all about the catfight between Charlize Theron and Teri Hatcher, and either think James Spader's thing about "one minute" was the greatest ever, or want to uppercut him into space.

18. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

Well, I guess the answer to that would depend on what you think is in the case ;)

19. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

Ving Rhames has a pretty nasty scar on the back of his head from a skin condition, that he actively tries to cover up in almost any movie he's in. It's showed up once, though, in a movie called "Baby Boy."

[​IMG]

SpeedyE likes this.
  20. Cawk Star

Cawk Star Well-Known Member

I second that Ritchie is a master at weaving multiple plots together.