1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Triumph Daytona 765 Moto2 Limited Edition

Discussion in 'General' started by Shocker, Jul 24, 2019.

1. nlzmo400r

nlzmo400r Well-Known Member

Not trying to argue at all, more ‘thinking out loud’. Making assumptions like ‘could’ve given 15 more HP, but didn’t due to durability’ though muddies the waters. Ultimately we get what we get. I was just saying I don’t think the 765 will make 150hp easily when it starts out at 128hp unless internal bits are changed, unless they have already built it for that and just artificially lowered the rev ceiling to prevent it from making more power and creating faster wear.

Just as an aside, you can’t really compare a 670cc 4cylinder to this though. In terms of peak power, reving 3k rpm higher is a huge advantage. As is the non-production cylinder head work that I’m sure was done when creating a 670cc R6.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. You have to keep in mind it is built as a street bike, which means it has to meet Euro emissions. I’m sure it can easily gain 10+hp with just an exhaust, filter, and tune.

Throw in race fuel and you’ll likely get another 5-10.

They probably put RPM restrictions in the ECU, like several other OEMs do (which helps when passing emissions testing, because the test RPM is based on 50% of max HP RPM). Which means a simple ECU flash could gain more HP.

Of course this is all just guesstimating; we will find out more once these bikes get in circulation. But I know that Triple motor has a lot of potential.

Let’s also not forget the torque. Putting 60+ft/lbs down while being as light as it is, it will jump off corners like a beast.

It is a lot of bike for $17k, and I’m sure it will be a beast on track.

ducnut likes this.
  3. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

I’m pretty confident JD Hord could get 150rwhp out of this motor, pretty easily. He wasn’t very far off that with a 675 and some pretty basic stuff.

rugbymook and Gorilla George like this.
  4. pfhenry

pfhenry Well-Known Member

didn't you say at one point that its possible to bore/ stroke a 675 to 765? or am i miss remembering/ having a senior moment. ever since i sat on a 675 i wanted to race it... would be cool to get 750 inline 4 power with that chassis

5. nlzmo400r

You’d have to take the crankshaft from a 765 and install it in a 675 for increased stroke. But you’d increase piston speed/ reduce rev ceiling

6. pfhenry

pfhenry Well-Known Member

so the limited model in the original post has a bigger bore than what you just said?

nlzmo400r likes this.
  7. nlzmo400r

The 765 (all 765, including Street Triple) are 78mm bore by 53.38mm stroke
    The '13-17 675 are 76mm bore by 49.6mm stroke
    The '06-12 675 are 74mm bore by 52.3mm stroke.

Soooo. If you took a current 675 and put the 765 crankshaft in, you'd end up with a 726cc that would be pretty limited rev wise. Possible, but not practical considering it'd be easier to just buy a 765 engine and swap the entire thing in there to get the +2mm larger bore too.

Steeltoe and pfhenry like this.
  8. HPPT

HPPT !!!

418 likes this.
  9. ton

ton Arf!

I talked to JD Hord about doing exactly this (overbore + crank) in the wayback days. Decided that, while feasible, between the overbore getting dangerously close to the end of available space between cylinders and the need (at that time) to have a custom crank and Carillo rods done... it would be an awfully expensive grenade.

Spacing on the mechanic's name, but met a guy that had built one (for Pike's Peak?!) not sure the motor lasted very long.

10. Riders Discount

Riders Discount 866-931-6644 ext 817

Hanshaw used a 765 Street Triple crank with a 78mm piston for his trackday bike. He talks a bit about the bike in these two threads.

https://www.triumph675.net/forum/showthread.php?t=232881

https://www.triumph675.net/forum/showthread.php?p=1869629155

We were right at 140 on our 675, and Stanboli always thought there was a lot of potential in porting the head (not something we could do in DSB)

rugbymook likes this.
  11. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

I really can't put my finger on it. I feel like I should be a lot more excited that Triumph did this than I am. I don't even know why. It's the bike that many have asked for. I think it might honestly just be that it looks like the same bike as before and doesn't really do much for me aesthetically. Really lame reason not to like a bike with great specs I admit.

Senna, 418 and ducnut like this.
  12. nlzmo400r

Not looking any different takes some wind out my sails about it. Otherwise it’s a great package, albeit basically the same general package MV Augusta did 4 years ago.

I bet the next (2021?) Daytona will use this basic package also.

13. mpusch

mpusch Well-Known Member

Assuming they make another one...

14. 418

418 Expert #59

Have another 44teeth fan I see. ;)

15. MotoGP69

MotoGP69 Well-Known Member

I attended the Triumph “Best of British” tour last night and got to check this bike out in person. I have to say it had a pretty special feel to it and I liked it a lot more than I expected to.

AFBCF005-0481-4D1A-AED7-D81DED9BCFB7.jpeg

23103a, jd41, Rogue4 and 3 others like this.
  16. RJS Superbike got one on the dyno and tuned with a PC5.

After an exhaust and tuning (otherwise stock) it made 135hp and 62ft/lbs.

Considering how light and agile the bike will be, I bet it will be a blast to ride.

cav115 and MotoGP69 like this.
  17. nlzmo400r

That's exactly what I'd expect given the 675s made roughly 120whp. 13% increase and displacement and a 13% increase in power. Not bad at all.

Gorilla George likes this.
  18. ahastings

ahastings Well-Known Member

How different is this bike from the street triple RS ?

19. nlzmo400r

My understanding is it’s different in all the usual
    Ways. Different camshafts, I think pistons (CR), tuning. Otherwise frame, swingarm, fuel tank, brakes, wheels etc are the same. Triple clamps were different in the past to alter trail/geometry.

20. ahastings

ahastings Well-Known Member

Looks like the 765 is legal for the Daytona 200, could be quite the weapon in the right hands

baconologist likes this.