1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AIMexpo Columbus 2019

Discussion in 'General' started by ttt637, Sep 29, 2019.

1. Rdrace42

Rdrace42 Almost Cheddar

I remember they used to have it in Cincinnati back in the late 70's. Is there a difference between Cinci and Columbus? I just remember that there was nothing to do after 9:00 there.

2. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Better FB team in Columbus...'bout the only thing i can think of.

:D

3. r6boater

r6boater Logged out

Draik was there... he had a good time.

Phl218 likes this.
  4. g maloney

g maloney Well-Known Member

The frame was one of two prototype frames built for GPtech llc’s moto 3 project. Framecrafter, Yamaha, Rising Sun Cycles as technical partners. Powered by a yzf 250 engine. Josh Herrin, Ben Young and a couple others raced/develop rode it at various events under the GPtech llc canopy.

Rdrace42 likes this.
  5. Rdrace42

Rdrace42 Almost Cheddar

Yerp, that's it. It sat for years in Tony's shop, waiting for the right project to use it on. I'm not saying that I would have picked THAT engine for it, but I think it turned out to be pretty unique. Definitely not a run of the mill CX500 build. Tony tends to build weird stuff like that. Look up the Indian he did a couple of years ago. The end result was beautiful, but talk about picking the WORST platform to build on.... o_O

6. HondaSuperHawk

HondaSuperHawk Well-Known Member

There were demo rides with the new Husq street bikes, KTM, Kawasaki, Honda, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, and Yamaha. I have no idea if the routes were any good.

7. YoshiHNS

YoshiHNS Mr. Slowly

Route was a mile around town to the highway for a bit, U-turn, and back. In the middle of Columbus there's not much choice for roads in a 15 minute route.

8. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

9. In case it rains? :)

ducnut likes this.
  10. YoshiHNS

YoshiHNS Mr. Slowly

Originally had rains for the looks, but he swapped them to sport tires later.

11. YoshiHNS

YoshiHNS Mr. Slowly

Columbus is pretty much a college town. The street right next to the convention had bars and stuff for a mile down the road.

Someone from the west coast commented that other there they have to remove the ride-share scooters and bikes by 9pm because of all the drunks and rowdy people. Columbus left them out all night. More than one person may have had a midnight snack of sidewalk thinking their motorcycle abilities carried over to all two wheel transportation.

12. APA

APA Well-Known Member

After 20 years in the MC industry I started going to Indy in 2002 and this year is the 1st time we did not do a booth but still did attend.

Orlando was a long drive to get around the salt water for dealers and public to get there so less USA dealers came. Orlando did have a large number of international dealers that Columbus did not get.

Last years Vegas show was nice to finally have a West Expo.

13. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

I enjoyed Indy, way back then.

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yep. Or alternate Orlando and Vegas - although Ohio has more registered bike than FL I believe.

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Different show.