Maxxis/Arnchu Endurance Crash

Discussion in 'General' started by Randy46, May 5, 2004.

1. R6CHIC

R6CHIC no member

Hi Frank~

Thanks for all the numbers but what does any of that have to do with anything in this thread?

No one is disputing in any way that Mark is an extremely skilled and talented rider with an excellent racing history. That is clear - he is a great racer!

The issue of tires is purely opinion, and to each his own. The fact that Crozier was able to "crash, recover from the crash, enter the pits, find a tech inspector, get "teched", and exit the pits, losing a total of FOURTEEN (14) SECONDS!" is great ~ it is nice that his bike did not sustain any damage and he did not have to waste any time making bike repairs. Unfortunately for Arnchu, they had to do some rear set and handle bar swapping.

I am not a statistician or anything but I was looking at mylaps.com which happens to list the Best Lap time for each team during the entire Endurance Race and I counted 9 teams with a faster endurance lap than Maxxis. They are:

Vesrah 1:03.861
    FDK 1:04.896
    Team Velocity 1:05.009
    Bells Suzuki 1:05.598
    AOD 1:05.630
    Arnchu 1:05.692
    BP Pipeline 1:05.787
    Taylor Kanpp/Ray C's Rcg 1:05.842
    Cherokee Challenge.net 1:05.885
    Maxxis 1:06.137

But as I said before, none of that has anything to do with anything here.

The events surrounding the crash (which all took place in a fraction of a second) is where the facts lie (not in spewing out a bunch of lap times) - and no one except the two riders involved know exactly how things went, and even they might be unsure.

So for the rest of us to even be here talking about it is a completely moot point. I am starting to get bored.

Let's just all shake on it and let it go, OK? We all know that Crozier is THE MAN, so if that makes you feel better, then great.

Can't we all just get along? :rolleyes:

Good luck at the next race!

Jill

2. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

wtf? Just because Fetsko has not been on the board for a while, that's no reason to go and replace him:p

3. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

Hi Frank! Billy put you to work as a statistician? Holy crap are they in trouble! :D

Adrienne

4. ethridge72

ethridge72 Well-Known Member

Adrienne,

I did not know that I had hired a statistician. If I do decide to, would you be available?

5. SuperSpy

SuperSpy Member

Just my two cents

What it seems that Frank was trying to say is that Team Xtreme was in second place late in the race and that they weren't having any problems with their Maxxis street tires. Although they finished fifth overall.

Where would Team Xtreme have placed without the crash?

6. TeamXstat

TeamXstat New Member

Just the facts II

Vesrah 1:03.861
    FDK 1:04.896
    Team Velocity 1:05.009
    Bells Suzuki 1:05.598
    AOD 1:05.630
    Arnchu 1:05.692
    BP Pipeline 1:05.787
    Taylor Kanpp/Ray C's Rcg 1:05.842
    Cherokee Challenge.net 1:05.885
    Maxxis 1:06.137

Hey Jill,

Thanks for the kind words - no I am not a real statistician, I just play one on a race team - and only on occasion!

Yes, you are correct, Jill. There were a number of teams that had ONE lap time faster than our fastest time. What I was talking about was on the whole. Their fastest lap and ours happened at completely different times. Theirs was at lap 13, ours was at 38.

Team Xtreme also finished the race 17 laps ahead of Arnchu!

Also, www.mylaps.com doesn't show the lap times during a single event during the race. For example the "crash" lap. I can assure you that Crozier's lap time during the lap in which he was PASSING Arnchu was much faster than their rider's time.

See you at the track!

Frank Lee
    Occasional Statistician

7. R6CHIC

R6CHIC no member

Hi again Frank~ :)
    I agree with most of what you said, but.......yes, while mylaps.com does not show the entire race lap times or a single event, it does show the best lap, and the fact that there were 9 teams with a faster lap time doesn't give any indication as to how many faster laps they had. My point is that you cannot conlcude from viewing best lap times that that was only ONE faster lap. The difference was more than a second and a half or more and I am sure there were plenty of laps that fell in between those few seconds difference.

Of course Arnchu finished 17 laps behind Maxxis - they had to replace the left rearset and left handle bar TWICE. The ARNCHU rider who was hit, it was his first stint out there, and that was his second time getting hit by another rider in like 12 laps (the other rider admitted fault, he ran into the #280 bike's rear tire and the Arnchu rider did not even know what happened) in that exact same corner and so after the second time, the Arnchu rider needed to take break physically and mentally. (and BTW he is not a crasher - he *rarely*, if *ever*, has incidents like this and is a very consistent racer so twice in one day left him sort of scratching his head.) The other Arnchu rider completed the race, and ended up doing about 125 laps that day, the majority of the race. And he was able to keep up a very fast race pace and if I remember correctly, he passed Maxxis later in the race, riding on a bent up tail section and loose shifter. My point is, to borrow your quote, that "I can assure you that Arnchu's lap time during the lap in which he was PASSING Maxxis was much faster than their rider's time." But again this is not a debate about who is faster and blah blah blah. I believe both riders involved are excellent riders. One simply having more experience does not make him immune to mistakes, and one having less experience does not automatically make him guilty.

So my point is that Arnchu's 17 lap difference at the race finish - those laps were not lost due to slower laps, that is for sure, they were due to their rider sustaining two hits and twice stopping to make repairs. And again the race finish has no bearing on the circumstances surrounding the crash.

Darn it Frank, I was not going to start debating this again and here I am! Stop pushing my buttons!! ;)

Anyway, guess I will go along my merry way. Yes I happen to be a bit biased as I am pretty familiar with the Arnchu team. ;) But hey, at least you and I should get some credit for our display of loyalty to our prized racers.

See ya,

Jill:D

Note to SuperSpy - I think the crash occurred in the second hour, not late in the race, unless you consider about half way late, then OK. Arnchu was doing quite well in the race, before incidents, positioned for a high finish had the bike not turned into a hit me sign. OH well - tis the way the game goes sometimes. :beer:

8. Buckwild

Buckwild Radical

So when does the fight start?

9. R6CHIC

R6CHIC no member

someone wanna fight me??
    i'm a lot bigger and scarier in person than my avatar would lead one to believe!

welcome back to 7th grade everyone!!!!!

teehee

Jill

10. Kris87

Kris87 Friendly Smartass

This whole thread is a joke. Somebody needs to swap their panties for leathers and figure out racing.

11. R6CHIC

R6CHIC no member

That's funny, I was just thinking the same thing.

12. Bruce S

Bruce S Mafia In-forc-er

How about some chics in leather panties!!!:beer: :beer:

And no Huey...not you!!

13. wera 688

wera 688 in the mosh pit

next up on speedvision- WERA endurance fist fighting. No rules just a 4 hour time limit.:D

14. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

Looks like Frank got a field demotion, heheheheheheh...boy, oh boy, I can just imagine the conversations in the pit...

Frank: Yappity yappity yap yap yap cumulative lap times…yap yap yap standard deviation…yap yappity yap…mean pit duration…yappity yappity…normalized projected tire wear…yap yap yap…

Billy: Sic ‘im, T-bone!

You know, that would be a lot of fun (I got an A+ in statistics...did I just say that out loud? How embarrassing…)…when Fred was in contention for the B Superbike title, I put together this keen schedule showing how he had to place relative to the other two individuals who were in a position to take it in the last race (best case, worst case, all possible outcomes in between), so we knew the second the race was over that Fred had won it (the title, not the race, he already had his broken ribs at that point and so left the outcome up to the racing gods)…

But I think you’d be more interested in real time statistics like how the race was shaping up an whatnot, which would require at-track assistance. Since Fred’s not racing this year and we’ve committed to a full schedule of track days with the club he rides with, I don’t think I’ll be able to swing it…but maybe next year!

P.S. Just teasing, Frank...but you must admit, you really don’t have an “OFF” switch… ;)

15. Umbrella girl #1

Umbrella girl #1 Well-Known Member

Hey just remember, that if there is mud fight, there is no Contingency for this mud fight event.... Can the guys wear speedo's and wrestle in the mud???????:D

16. mango

mango Ewah Felicitys underpants

I like fried squash

17. JBall

JBall REALLY senior member

To change the subject a bit, where do you have to go on Mylaps to see the endurance lap information? (sounds like some of it was quoted above) I see all the spring stuff and endurance practice but not the race itself.

18. racesbikes

racesbikes WTB a Size 50/60 Race Suit

Not really interested in fighting, but sure wouldn't mind the poster size version of the above referenced avatar pic.

8" X 10" glossy version will suffice.

:D

19. TeamXstat

TeamXstat New Member

Such Discussion

First to R6Chic - You go girl! My first time back in the pits in a few years, and boy did the competitive juices get flowing again! And kudos to your loyalty and sound logical support of your arguments. I look forward to meeting you!

Next to Yazzerina - To say I have no "OFF" switch is an understatement - to quote a friend - "There ain't no brakes on this bus!" You can say that - you know me better than anyone else in this group, except maybe Ed -

As for that leather thong racing for girls thing . . . um . . . cool . . .
    what is the standard deviation of such a device, and what would the effect be on lap times? How about projected tire wear? These are crucial for "sexy" lap times -

Forgive me, its late and it has been a long hot day in the sun . . .

Good Luck to all in Virginia - See you there!

Frank Lee