1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Putnam Park track times

Discussion in 'General' started by Brunswick, Jul 3, 2000.

1. Mot Okstef

Mot Okstef Scrolling all day long on RRW.com

That's exactly what I was told, but I never rode a 1000 enough to really get it down. The 600 I was riding pretty much had no grunt below 9K RPMs so I was used to wider sweeping lines and carrying more corner speed in higher gears.

So back to the BBS teasing you're so used to, isn't your wife already used to you disappearing from Fri - Sun after a good ganja high? :crackup:

2. Ganja Dude

Ganja Dude Well-Known Member

Yes, but she is there zoned out with me, not me being 1100 miles away acting like I'm 25. :D

3. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

You don't stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing....

Ganja Dude likes this.
  4. Maximumjeff

Maximumjeff Well-Known Member

The reason they have to go red for most crashes is because there isn't anywhere for riders to go and be safe. Having a 1/4 mile off runoff means there isn't anything to hide behind. And, no matter how hard we try to beat it into peoples heads, the majority of riders still just stand by their bike. Saturday, I had a guy take off his helmet. That's an immediate red flag.

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I love when I'm told a bike that just crashed is off track but still in an impact zone - um, duh, they just crashed there, of course it's an impact zone :crackup:

Does Putnam still require the managers permission before an ambulance gets dispatched?

6. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Helmet off is just fn stupid... I had a loud conversation with someone about that at Barber once...

7. Maximumjeff

I hear that all the time on the radio. "Are they in an impact zone?" Yes, yes they are.

They don't ask me to send an ambulance. If the rider isn't moving or takes a while to pop up, the ambulance rolls out with recovery. No reason to not give them a once over.

8. Maximumjeff

Ya, I've had that conversation a few times.

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

So you have to red flag every crashed bike and send out a recovery vehicle for them - and the ambulance self dispatches?

Good to know we still can't race there. That would absolutely suck.

10. Maximumjeff

No, Control sends out one/both of the ambulances.

But, ya, most crashes are going to cause a red flag. There are a few places that it wouldn't. Like an early off in turn 8, there's some armco down there. Turn 4 has some. Turn 10 obviously. In turn 9 you can get to the tire wall but, I don't think you'd actually be able to get on the other side of it. Turn 7 you could walk out to the tree line. But, it's pretty far.

I mean if someone crashes and starts running way out into the runoff, you could stay green. But, I'd rather just shut it down for a couple minutes. Or if they get up right away and get the bike going again.

The track hasn't changed much over the years. What did you do in the past?

Last edited: Jul 30, 2019
  11. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

If it's someone smart and they're okay, they would push their bike out of the way and no longer be in an "impact zone". <shrug>

cav115 likes this.
  12. JBarx

JBarx Status: None.

I at least had the decency to crash at the end of the session. I respect people's time. :flag:

I also stood with my bike, but in my defense I wasn't sure who or where I was for a few minutes and the track looked reeeeeeeaaaaaly far away. I had this crazy idea that maybe it would start up and I could ride it further out and circle back to try and get to pit-in but clearly that wasn't happening.

Maximumjeff likes this.
  13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Depends on the turn of course but same as we do everywhere, if the rider is up get them back away from the track and keep running then clean up following the race/session.

Got ya on control sending the flashy box - I was under the impression you were doing control. That kind of things should always be their call. However the last contract I had from there required the managers permission before sending an ambulance, one of the huge sticking points in us going back.

14. Maximumjeff

If I'm at a new to me track or there is a new Control person, I'll stand/sit next to them until I trust the person knows what they're doing.

I think it'd be awesome if you guys went back to Putnam. I could bring some of the STL air fence for 8 and 10. 10 is actually better than it was in the past. They've paved it now. Still not a lot of room but, you can turn and brake if you get too wide. And, having everyone there being licensed to race, you'd hope they would know to get as far back as they can after crashing, not JBarx of course.

At a track day, it's just not worth the risk.

I'll be up at Grattan this weekend. I'd love to chat with you about it you'd like.

Either way, you should come by the Pirelli trailer. I'm going to have the smoker going Friday and Saturday.

TwiztedRabbit likes this.
  15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Chatting is always cool but we're not going to Putnam until it's sold to new owners. Won't do business with the Diasios.

16. Maximumjeff

Well, we can just eat BBQ then.

17. JBarx

Let's be honest... if someone managed to get within 50 feet of where I was, you just gotta tip your cap and say well done sir. You guys were a coin flip between sending the crash truck or getting the neighbor's farm tractor.

I'm none too pleased about that particular chain of events all across the board. I'm having issues with track days. Races, not so much. I don't know what is going on, but as clean as I can consistently race, I have the weirdest momentary lapses of judgement at track days and I cannot figure it out and no amount of beating myself up improves it.

Anyway... back to regularly scheduled Putnam broadcasting....

18. Maximumjeff

I did have to leave the property once to retrieve a bike. We had to take a bunch of hay bales out there to plug the hole in the fence so cows couldn’t get through.

He full f’n sent it.

Murcielago311 likes this.
  19. JBarx

I was having a lot of fun in the AM sessions though. Even with the heavy right-handedness, it's a groovy layout and when you get your rhythm it's a hoot. Going there from Mid-Ohio and the jarring increase in grip levels, it was hard not to enjoy it before I went inexplicably full retard in T1.

20. Aweasel

Aweasel Well-Known Member

punctured rear tire and crashed Saturday morning in T1. No idea what it was but punched big hole right in the middle of the rear tire. I tried to get the bike up and out of the way but I was gassed from the whole ordeal. With the rear tire off the bead it was too hard to push. Definitely wasn’t comfortable sitting there with bikes coming in but also wasn’t comfortable with someone also running into the bike either..not because of damaging it but I sure wouldn’t want to hit a bike laying down if I was one of those guys

Track is awesome though, bummed abt the tire. It literally had 1 single lap on it, front still has the sticker on it. First time out on track in a minute after a motor rebuild and was feeling real good the first lap and that dumb luck had me sidelined all weekend. I can see guys railing with this new surface