1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Flat track track days?

Discussion in 'General' started by JustinFRC, Jul 10, 2019.

1. JustinFRC

JustinFRC New Member

Is this a thing? Do flat tracks have track day type deals where you can run any ol' bike you have laying around just for fun? ...Preferably in the general vicinity of Northern Indiana.

I've been scouring the internet and the closest I've found is a mention of open practice at Mid America Speedway, but there's no practice days on their schedule, and the videos of their track online are all purpose built bikes being ridden by people who know what they're doing.

It's something I want to try for shits and gigs, but I don't have any interest in going elbow to elbow with people or building/buying a bike specifically for it. I've seen videos on Youtube of Harley's and other random street bikes on track, so I know somethings happening somewhere at sometime... Just no idea of the what/where/when

2. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Just an odd ball idea....ever thought about Texas Tornado Boot Camp?

3. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

My buddy had a 1/8 miles dirt track I his backyard around Anderson Indiana, but he moved away. You might look on craigslist or any local source for ads for activities in your area. I know a few go kart tracks that have dirt flat track action.

4. JustinFRC

JustinFRC New Member

I've thought about doing the American Supercamp, but that's $650+hotel, a 5 hour drive, and a weekend commitment. I'm sure it's worth it, but that'd be a once a year thing at most.

5. flyingpig70

flyingpig70 Well-Known Member

We have a sort of a trackday up here in Wa. Every morning after a race, we have 3 - 4 hours of track time. Doesn't seem like a lot, but it is what it is unless you know someone with a track, which up here is surprisingly a lot.

6. BigAl8295

BigAl8295 Member

There don't seem to be any dirt track days, but some of the AMA flat track events have "open" practice. You can do practice but not race in the evening.

7. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Im building a yard track about 30min north of Notre Dame. Im thinking maybe ~200ft straights and some flat curves. Got a ~2 acre square with grass in it now.
    once its done you can swing on by and ride.

JustinFRC and Razr like this.
  8. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

There are several clubs in the midwest that you can get involved with. It's usually invitation only and then there are dues for track and land maintenance. It's a pretty serious operation to keep a flat track prepped and groomed properly. I'm in the process of building a DTX setup right now. After I get the bike setup I plan on possibly joining a club so I can go practice and get some seat time. American Supercamp is fun, Danny give's very good info and teaches awesome techniques but after the 2 day class it's a big time teaser to go Flat Track racing. Also if you live in a rural area talk to land owners with horse farms. I have a few spots out this way south of Chicago that have lime stone and clay tracks that can be ridden certain times of the year

9. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

What your seeing there is known as Hooligan class, and it's either a sideshow during a real race day. Or, in some places, actual racing as well.

Your best bet would be buddy up to someone who has a practice track on their property. But, they'll probably want to limit what kind of bike you use to tear up their dirt. You might as well get you a cheap XR100 and go Maddog class racing.

10. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

I'd always wanted to enter a low key flat track race. I attended many events as a kid.

Never really looked into it after I determined I needed a facility that would let me first start practicing with a bike that had training wheels on it.

11. ScottyRock155

ScottyRock155 A T-Rex going RAWR!

I went to a local dirt track race that was combined with an AHRMA round with a TTR 125 and my first practice lap was my first ever lap around a real dirt track. It's so different from road racing, there is no school or tech, everything is so laid back.

stk0308 likes this.
  12. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

I love it when they light the spilled fuel on fire after a crash. BURN IT!

13. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Pm Robby Bobby and take a Florida Vacation!

stk0308, Tas and RRP like this.
  14. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

That's what I would do.

RRP likes this.
  15. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

There are a bunch popping up In the south east

16. njracer

njracer Well-Known Member

OVRP in NY used to have open days on their flat track back when I was running SM on thier kart track.

Pretty sure they are still doing it.

17. HondaSuperHawk

HondaSuperHawk Well-Known Member

I think there is a newer flat track in Warren, Indiana. The only contact I have seen is Jeff Hiers on Facebook. I don’t know any more than that.