1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mid Ohio VMD thoughts

Discussion in 'General' started by dobr24, Jul 8, 2019.

1. maslov

maslov Well-Known Member

I was there... I’m pretty sure during that twilight session at least 3 people out of 12 total got caught out... Mark was very clear about being careful around those wet spots...

My concern is that usually when you go out on a new hot rubber you can scrub it within a few corners and be good to go... I learned that new tires at Mid-o in less than perfect condition is a suicide.

Rising Sun likes this.
  2. Jongo

Jongo Well-Known Member

Funny how nobody complains about Mid-OH grip levels when it's 80, sunny and dry.

maslov likes this.
  3. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

For sure. However, doing that sh!t for years and then showing up to Road Atlanta and going 100% in the first session without any of that sh!t, is downright invigorating.

It's not throwback Thursday yet, but I remember doing 34's in the first morning session at Mid-O back in the day and thinking how stupid I was. But hey, the other top guys were doing it. No other choice.

cav115 likes this.
  4. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Those were pretty much the conditions for Saturday practice and grip sucked bad.

5. JBarx

JBarx Status: None.

Yep. Grip was garbage on Friday until the afternoon and it was hot as balls and sunny. It took hours to cook that track enough to bite down. Session 2 I was still sliding around the joint at 11am.

I guess I've been spoiled by the southern tracks now, once I realized Mid-O wasn't the norm, I don't like it anymore. I can get up and do an 8:30 session at Road Atlanta and go 100%, no problem. Seems like a pretty reasonable expectation.

Gorilla George and cav115 like this.
  6. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Not a location problem... grip is just fine at Pitt.

5axis, rcarson15 and maslov like this.
  7. JBarx

JBarx Status: None.

Right - you could substitute "basically any other track in the country" for "southern tracks" and the statement holds up. I haven't been to Pitt since 2017 so it wasn't in my mind's shortlist. Back then it had the opposite problem... which was just fine by me.

8. Jongo

Jongo Well-Known Member

I've never tried to win morning practice at Mid-OH. :p

rcarson15 and renegade17 like this.
  9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yes, they hate it too. Heard rumors one group won't be back.

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

They bought it as part of the entire deal getting ALMS along with Sebring from Doc Panoz. With the money they're investing in the new tower they have no intention of it being bulldozed any time soon.

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Probably handled by Evelyne, as it will be this time.

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Just hold on for a bit - probably until next week (Emily is doing Roebling and we are taking the weekend off). We'll be handling the processing, if we need emails or the like I'll post up about it but for now no need.

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Repave happened not too long ago. Issue is partially aggregate (think old Summit) and mostly the sealer.

14. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

All of us should make a call to these tracks with poor surfaces and complain. May not help, but can`t hurt. Sean and Evelyne are in the middle trying to give us a quality race, and we should support them. Give them a break about the refunds, they have already lost money. They always look out for us and do a great job. My .02.

maslov likes this.
  15. zippytech

zippytech Running On Pumpedupness!!

No it cannot hurt but Mid Ohio has already known this for years.

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

It does help having Mark there working for the car and bike schools. Not sure how much but yeah, they absolutely know they have major surface issues. Supposedly a repave is in the works but no clue on seriousness or time frame.

17. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

The slick surface in all but ideal weather is not a fabrication.

I did a TD there and literally 1 rider went out in the first session, because it was raining.

He spun the rear badly on the front straight on his first lap. I heard him short-shift on the next lap, and he still spun the rear and almost crashed on his second pass down the start/finish straight. He crashed at the end of the back straight on that lap.

One coach (Eric Monger?) went out on a supermoto with street tires, to prove it could be done. I don’t think he had any fun though.

The rumor used to be that the slick sealer was intentional, to prevent the Le Mons style cars with crazy downforce from pulling the pavement. If that’s true, it seems to have worked, but at what cost?

18. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

Sounds Like Monger! LOL KTM?

19. Scooter_428

Scooter_428 Member

My uncle was part of the crew that resurfaced the place back in 1990. He told me the compound they used was slicker than they have used anywhere else and they were testing it at Mid-O. And yes, their intentions were to prevent the downforce of the cars from pulling around the pavement.

MELK-MAN and 5axis like this.
  20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

It has been repaved since 1990 :D

renegade17 likes this.