1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Last minute travel plans w teens - MI, KY, &/or WV - recommendations

Discussion in 'General' started by vfrket, Jun 29, 2019.

1. vfrket

vfrket Lost Member

Or a combination thereof - in Central OH, soon to be 15 daughter and soon to be 17 son ) - Next week of July 1-6

Desiring combination of renting 4 wheelers (atv not utv) to ride trails (MI, KY, WV) or ride dunes (MI - son wants dunes) (or BOTH). Both are good riders but not accustomed to bad-ass/hard trails and I'd like to not challenge them (or me) this trip.

Other requirements: good brews (beer and bourbon) and food close by, swimming pool/water parks, and air conditioned comfort at night required (not looking to camp, FN allergies). We've never ridden dunes before. Taking our riding gear but not our rides. I'd put her on a 90 and him on a TRX250X, myself too.

Don't need to stay at 1 place for the duration.

I've had someone mention White Cloud MI for trails. Looking for other ideas. We've stayed at Traverse City before and rode bicycles to Sleeping Bear but know nothing about ATV rental and riding up there. (Yes I will be doing some more googling)

Again I can stay in a couple places. Some town with some decent fireworks too would be OK, no big cities.
    Any personal experiences?

2. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

may i suggest doing something different with them... tour around lake superior, seeing sites, zip lining, hiking, kayak, canoe riding, waterfalls, fishing, etc... Ski

3. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

I had a great childhood and all that but damn you are one cool dad! :bow:

YamahaRick and I'm with Stupid like this.
  4. Wingnut

Wingnut Well-Known Member

Look into doing a whitewater rafting trip down the new River Gorge in WV. I've done that a few times, beautiful area, fun for teens and adults. Charlestown WV has some decent bar and grills.

rd400racer likes this.
  5. vfrket

vfrket Lost Member

You may.... and have... Are you trying to keep me off your trails? :-D

6. peakpowersports

peakpowersports Well-Known Member

Next week isn't the time to be up here in MI on the trails or dunes. Trails will be PACKED! Even more than normal since this is really the first bit if consistently nice weather so far this year.

You may not even be able to get in the dunes. They fill up quick and you need a special pass just for the .

7. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Durahmtown GA? Then Lake Lanier or the Ocoee River or all 3?

8. Yeah, thinking overachiever here. Divorced?

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

My divorced dad didn't do that shit :D

10. Neither did mine. Best I can do is a Disneyworld trip :)

11. ScottyRock155

ScottyRock155 A T-Rex going RAWR!

If you're going to go to White Cloud to ride trails you would be close to Silver Lake Dunes.

[​IMG]

12. Christian157

Christian157 Well-Known Member

Check out Ace adventure resort near Fayetteville (close to the New river for rafting. )It’s a good daylong attraction in addition to the whitewater rafting. Basically a large pond with an extensive array of inflatables on it. Also a zip line course in the area . Hatfield McCoy trails are 1.5 hours from there depending on where you enter. Those trails cover multiple counties- helmets required but you can use public roads to get to and from parts for fast food ,gas etc. New river is better for teenagers. Galley is world class and serious rapids (especially the upper) requiring experience and the season for it starts around third week of sept. World championships are held there in early Oct. They release the Summerville dam to drain it in anticipation of rain and winter snow melt so they make it nasty for the rafters for about 6 weeks in the fall. Good motorcycle routes all around and nearby if you are able to take a one and have time for yourself.

13. motoracer1100

motoracer1100 Well-Known Member

This gets my vote ... you can ride trails anywhere. The Dunes are incredible. Off-roading combined with beach combing and swimming if you like.
    I’ve been going since the 70’s . Back when it was Omni directional and you could drive in the water . And the range of vechiles that you see is amazing ... Kids will remember this trip for the rest of their life’s .. :clap::clap:

Almost forgot the best part ... your vehicle doesn’t need to be washed after . You leave cleaner than you arrived.
    Another edit : as mentioned before , Traffic around the Holidays is Heavy

Last edited: Jul 1, 2019
  14. Pants Romano

Pants Romano Well-Known Member

(Hey, Christian!) I will second the Fayetteville/New River trip. Ace and Adventures on the Gorge both have nice set-ups with lots of differing activities for the family, with cabin rentals on site. Check age requirements for the activities, but there is rafting, caving, climbing, horses, mountain biking, etc.

https://adventuresonthegorge.com/adventures/

It's sort of an outdoor ala carte menu of stuff to do.

15. vfrket

vfrket Lost Member

Going well so far :) Ending the evening with Founders Backwoods Bastard....

16. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

What does being divorced have to do with the price of tea in China?
    I’ve heard that being a divorced dad spending quality time with their kids is an attempt to out do the divorced mother. In my case, that’s some B.S.!

I can say, at least for me, that I’m merely doing what I was doing with my kids now what I was doing when I was married. The difference being that my kids are older now and able to do/enjoy much of our current activities.
    Rant over! Carry on