1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

We're the Meatmen and you suck!

Discussion in 'General' started by Dave K, Feb 27, 2019.

1. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

2. elvee

elvee Well-Known Member

I think I have tried that in the past. I will give them another look. I have an ace hardware that carries about five different brands.

I also find that the temp I am running has a big effect on the amount of ash. When I am doing pizzas I run as hot as I can, and the ash is very fluffy compared to what I get from a log smoke.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  3. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I'm kind of with you on that. Elvee ruined a lot of "bar-b-que" places by killing it at VIR years ago.

There's a place near VIR that does good BBQ. I was taken to one just outside Mexico City that destroyed 90% of the places I've tried in the US. Famous Dave's (a chain) does pretty okay sausage and their pork is good.
    Those are the only three that I can say even stand out enough to even mention, the rest mostly come down to slapping their sauce on their dried out products I guess.

4. FZ1guy

FZ1guy Hey...watch this

I've got the electric Masterbilt and love it. I can load it up with meat in the morning and be gone all day without worrying about it. I like hickory chips the best for beef and pork, apple and fruit wood for chicken and salmon.
    It's worth buying one just to make peppered jerky.

5. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

6. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

I accidentally burnt up my gasket when using that lump making pizza. It got so freaking hot I thought the BGE was going to shatter. The gasket was ash when it cooled enough after shutting it down! LOL

7. tito

tito Well-Known Member

you can build one of these for way cheaper. get a barrel on craigslist and use stainless steel brackets, nuts and bolts or if you can weld, you can do it for even cheaper. check out
    the Ugly drum smoker section at https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/ for more info. I built mine years ago and love it. also look at a smoker controller for set it and forget it. I built a heater meter but the bbq guru makes a nice alternative as well.

8. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

I have or had most types- Masterbuilt electric, offset barrel, Akorn kamado, pellet, ceramic kamado, several gas and charcoal grills. The kamados do it all well. It's just a matter of how much you want to spend. The Akorn is hands down the best value, under $300 and gives results as good as anything. Once you do the "mods" to better seal it up and dial in your temp, you can easily do a 12-14 hour cook without adding fuel. I haven't been able to do the same with my fancier ceramic kamado- I think mostly due to the fact it takes more fuel to get it to temp in the beginning. The pellet is great for making jerky or if I need to make large volumes of pork or turkey, but it sucks otherwise.

9. Tristan

It's like you don't know DaveK at all... I can't see him doing any of this.

10. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Yeah man, I don't have the time or the simple ability to put down a weld that wouldn't cause my OCD to go insane.

11. Trunxgp1224

Trunxgp1224 Well-Known Member

I use the electric smoker, It's easy to take to the track and feed the whole crew with a set it, forget it mentality. Sure there's better ways, but everyone seems to love it.

12. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

Not in my experience, plus they win a lot of medals in BBQ competitions.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

13. Tristan

mine won't get hot enough to properly grill a steak, let alone cook a pizza. BBQ "competitions" are not a good barometer on best methods...

14. elvee

elvee Well-Known Member

Yeah, on my large BGE I have had two spring band hinges deform from heat. The first one I can maybe accept responsibility for - the temp gauge was pegged and fire was coming out the chimney. That took out the gasket that I still need to replace. The second band never saw more than 650, and it has the lid pulled back about 3/8". Need to take both hinge assemblies to BGE World Headquarters and see what they will do for me (headquarters is 15 minutes from the house with traffic).

15. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

Like race wins aren't a good barometer on motorcycle abilities? :crackup: (just giving you shit, but there are some damn good BBQ competitions out there)

badmoon692008 likes this.
  16. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Yeah, those pics look highly freakin edible. Fixin to walk in to the joint I posted above. Spicy chicken sandwiches and ribs are today's specials.

17. Riders Discount

Riders Discount 866-931-6644 ext 817

BGE has been great for me with warranty. I had some of the glazing chip off (didn't affect the function of the grill at all.) The dealer called BGE and all parts were replaced.

Buy one of the BBQ Guru fans if you want to be lazy and not keep an eye on the grill. It makes those long smokes super easy.

18. Tristan

I'm sure there are. Racers show up mainly to RACE... the BBQ competitions are mostly a sideshow to the business of churning out mass quantities of mediocre food at various festivals. Apologies to any serious bbq competitors....

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

You don't have to hover if you buy all the extras that handle air flow etc... for you. Still more work than I wanna do so I keep getting propane cheapos from HD or Lowes.

If you want a really good shoulder do it at 225 for 11+ hours :D

Best brisket I've done yet was sous vide and finished in the smoker for bark and flavor. Which reminds me...corned beef time!

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I'm about to get my third, love em and really want the two door. I haven't looked closely in person, does it hold a decent amount of wood chunks?