1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wireless router help

Discussion in 'General' started by Banditracer, Jan 31, 2019.

1. opinion914

opinion914 Well-Known Member

Can you simply bump the strength of your current router? I found an option "TX power adjustment" on my Asus Router.

2. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

The limitations aren't usually the transmit power of the access point.
    The limitation is usually the ability to clearly receive the signal from your device, which is much weaker than the transmit from the access point.

Unless two-way communication is established, it doesn't work.

3. BigBird

BigBird blah

4. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Well these aren't low e, just regular old double pane, one's 20 years old and the other's maybe 50.

I just ordered that unit, supposed to be good to 600 ft. so should be a huge improvement. I still think we should update the router but I'm only fucking with one piece of electronics at a time.

BigBird likes this.
  5. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Pussy. :D

Banditracer and BigBird like this.
  6. Cannoli

Cannoli Typical Uccio

This

7. Banditracer

Reduces the risk of something getting smashed. :D

8. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

Get a Google WiFi 3-pack. Connect one to your modem, one near the front of the garage, and one in the house.

9. r6khari

r6khari Well-Known Member

I chose to keep it simple. One big router with signal strong enough to get WiFi wherever I needed. I got the Asus RT-AC5300. Range is strong, with signal throughout all three levels of my house, in the driveway and down the street. Great interface, and easy to setup.

Best-Buy and Amazon just dropped the price on them too.

10. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

11. Banditracer

And Beac83

12. Cannoli

Cannoli Typical Uccio

Several of the techie nerds on here have recommended Ubiquiti over the years. They make a great line of prosumer products.

The Ubiquiti AC Pro is a great access point. I have two of them in my house and there isn’t a dead spot to be found. The key to setting those up is the direction of the antenna. The RF energy emits from them like a sprinkler head so placement is paramount. While they are Omni directional, there is an aspect of unidirectionality to them. However, I don’t think it will get you the coverage from your garage across the street.

This thread explains placement a bit more and includes a visual depiction of the energy spread. https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Wireless/Unify-AP-LR-Best-Orientation/td-p/1262244

13. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

I borrowed my nephews wireless router but it did't have enough power, so I went back and borrowed his corded router. I was using a rounding bit on a cabinet door. :blart: