1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

atlanta area wiring guru

Discussion in 'General' started by sanee, Jan 21, 2019.

1. sanee

sanee Well-Known Member

Im having a wiring gremlin on my rc51 where every couple hours of riding the headlight cuts off and i need a new fuse. It was a race bike and i put it back to street with my awesome wiring skills ugh. didnt used to do this but now it does and im tired of this.
    Im looking for a used harness right now to start from scratch also but does anyone know who can tackle something like this? I called huey and he got scared lol which i dont blame him also

2. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

Are you on Facebook? I joined two RC51 groups when I bought mine and there are a few guys on there with what seems like, unlimited knowledge on the RC. I'd tey there for sure

3. sanee

sanee Well-Known Member

name of fb groups?

4. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

Honda RC-51 Fans

Honda RC51 Fan club

5. fastedyamaha

fastedyamaha Well-Known Member

Chasing wiring gremlins are a nightmare for a mechanic. If it takes them 5-6 hours to find the issue then you could be looking at a $500 bill and most customers get pissed and don’t want to pay that kind of money.

Kyle Brosius likes this.
  6. sanee

sanee Well-Known Member

oh totally understand that. im gonna redo the wiring harness but will need someone to take on this project. Im not detailed enough for something like this

7. I would be willing to bet the contacts on one of the plugs or connectors at the headlights are corroded. Resistance builds up with heat in the wire and eventually pops the fuse. That’s the first place I would check. Then do resistance checks from connector to connector.

I’m going to be taking on wiring jobs (amongst fab work and other things) again starting in 6 weeks but I’ll be in Washington. You can send it to me if you can’t find someone to figure it out. I would need the entire harness, switched assemblies, etc. I can do 90% of it besides checking your charging system on the bench.

8. jksoft

jksoft Well-Known Member

This is what happened on my SV headlight. The contacts in the head light were both corroded and stretched out. Was able to replace just the terminals in plug.

Phl218 likes this.
  9. HAZE

HAZE Group Therapy

Yeah, it could take 30 minutes or 12 hours
    I hate electrical problems

Phl218 likes this.
  10. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Huffdaddy @ HFD1... He has helped me find gremlins for years...

ToddClark likes this.
  11. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

Get ahold of Hippy (Chris) at Racing Sport Services. He's accross the road from Road Atlanta and knows his shit.

12. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

If it is blowing the fuse, I'd check for a melted connector allowing a short circuit or a bad connection at the fuse itself.

I once had a corroded fuse holder (the old glass fuse type) that would melt the solder out of one end of the fuse. The fuse looked good, but had no continuity.

13. ToddClark

ToddClark f'n know it all

Thats who I was gonna recommend .

Has Kenny's RC 51 that was stolen from Huff's shop ever been recovered?