1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Bourbon Thread...What's on the bar this week?

Discussion in 'General' started by Cuddles de Sade, Oct 3, 2016.

1. vfrket

vfrket Lost Member

Agreed - the 2010 bottling is very good and on shelves now.

2. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

I went to a bourbon and brew tasting event a few months ago and was able to taste Four Roses Single Barrel. They also had the their single batch there as well. To be able to taste both products back to back and not commit to entire bottles was enlightening. I believe I finally found my go to bourbon.
    It’s what I’ve been drinking this past holiday season.

3. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Just picked up a handle of Makers on sale for $40.

All set for a few now.

4. pfhenry

pfhenry Well-Known Member

restored corks on my grand pappys wild turkey bottles today/ yesterday...
    rsz_20190119_173516.jpg

sharkattack likes this.
  5. IrocRob

IrocRob Well-Known Member

I'm not sure why but those old promotional bottles are very appealing to me, maybe because
    my grandparents owned a liquor store way back when.....nostalgia I suppose.....cool stuff.

pfhenry likes this.
  6. pfhenry

pfhenry Well-Known Member

i'm going to keep the really intricate and detailed ones and sell the rest on ebay... my grandfather was one of those take the grand child to young confederate meetings lol might have to keep the flag one too

7. OGs750

OGs750 Well-Known Member

Tell me about the Old Rip Van Winkle. Is it worth hunting down? The limited release hype is getting to me and I'm itching to find some.

8. SundaySocial

SundaySocial Blue & Gold

Makers and 46 are my favorite, and “when we have company”

9. Bourbon is the tears your child cries because you are not there.

Drink up!

rd400racer likes this.
  10. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

Crappy weather today so we went and toured the George Dickel distillery just cause. Was kinda interesting but got to get a taste of the Dickel tickle. The 12 year and single barrel were decent enough

11. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

i'd rather have Oban. if you're of the, "i wanna try everything/most things at least one time", then its worth having a glass i guess.

12. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

No. My brother gets all of them from a secret source so I've tried each one. Pure hype.

Sweatypants likes this.
  13. HPPT

HPPT !!!

OK, in light of some of your prior posting activity on both topics, should we be concerned?

14. I’m not a big fan of bourbon.

15. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

I tried it at a bar in Monterey about 5 years ago before it became 80 bucks (or more) an oz. and I don't remember if it was the 15 or 20 year old version. I did enjoy but it was only around 30 bucks a oz.
    But since it's so limited and the 5th price is off the deep end when you find a bottle I can't see the reason to chase it down. So save the cash and go do the bourbon trail for few days.

16. r6khari

r6khari Well-Known Member

Good drams, all. Have you tried the Laphroaig Quarter Cask yet?

Baby Saz, Blanton's Gold and Johnnie Walker Green are open on the bar at the moment.

17. _indy

_indy Well-Known Member

I've been a huge Four Roses fan.

Picked up a couple bottles of Evan Williams single barrel. Only shame one of each.
    Having a contest to see which goes first. Both are fantastic.

Will also go off topic, enjoyed the speak easy tour at the Evan's Williams downtown store decided had to try there single barrel.
    Both are a must do.

OH, for the hype. Rip can van winkle all it wants.

Tired of the BS to get a bottle. Yes it's good but not that good. Trouble or price. IMO

18. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

I've got a bottle of Van Winkle in the cabinet now. Kinda like you, the hype drove me to find it and purchase.

Personally, I think Blanton's or Buff. Trace is better unless you're talking the 20 year stuff. The 20 or 23 year stuff is gloriously smooth. The only way I'd buy another bottle is if it were the 20/23 Year AND the store wasn't gouging the price. A small premium, sure, that's cool but 8 or 9 times retail, nah.

19. r6khari

r6khari Well-Known Member

I don't think Blanton's can compete with the 15 either. The 10 and 12 year on the other hand, Blanton's is competitive with.

20. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I prefer to keep my bar uncomplicated:D

[​IMG]