1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need a new handgun...lets talk guns today. :D

Discussion in 'General' started by Kris87, Mar 17, 2010.

1. triplestrong

triplestrong Well-Known Member

Anyone have a binary trigger set-up on anything? I have one coming for the CZ Scorpion. Looks like some lead-wasting fun. We'll see...

2. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Sooo I'm in the market for a nice quality plinker, I'm thinking a .22 cal rifle or better yet SBR, possibly suppressed too. I'm thinking the wifey and kiddo's would enjoy shooting this one too.

I already own a 20+ yo Ruger Mark?? .22, which has been great but wanting something newer and well, longer....lol

I can't recall how I ran into it but I read up a little on the S&W M&P15 - 22 that was modded with an Innovative Arms suppressor..... for a .22, I thought it was a bad ass long gun. Apparently, they make it in a SBR or standard rifle size. Here's a link> https://innovativearms.com/portfolio/iasw-integral/

Anyone have [or heard about] their products, they any good?

Open to other recommendations, even perhaps building my own........been itching to go shooting lately and I'd prefer the majority of my shooting be something on the cheaper end of ammo spectrum, hence the .22 and figure since I'll be saving $$$$ in ammo why not go suppressed? It'll be my first so kinda excited to be getting one.

Thoughts???

3. brex

brex Well-Known Member

I don't have that integrated suppressor, but I have a few 15-22s and a couple M&P 22 compacts with threaded barrels. They are fun and quiet with the suppressors I do have.

XFBO likes this.
  4. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

Post up a report, and which one you purchased.

I'm interested to hear your opinion(s).

triplestrong likes this.
  5. Photo

Photo Well-Known Member

Have you looked at the ruger chargers ? Basically a 10/22 pistol.

XFBO likes this.
  6. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

The charger seems silly, but Ruger is making an integrally suppressed 10/22 now. I believe it’s just the front half of their takedown model.

https://www.wideopenspaces.com/rugers-new-suppressed-1022-takedown-rifle-next-hot-buy/

XFBO likes this.
  7. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

ended up just ponying up for the T2. We'll see how it gets on, thanks though.

triplestrong likes this.
  8. DucatiBomber

DucatiBomber DJ Double A

Just got this today.
    Mocked up the Sig Romeo5 and off set sights but doubt i’ll run that stuff. Will probably just use the stock iron sights and a light.
    Really cool little “pistol”.

Ride safe,
    AAron
    D3213CCA-43C3-4BBE-B612-F03DD4CBDB5D.jpeg 86E62788-F017-4F0B-BE30-A031D1CB7F48.jpeg FEFB92B9-079D-444C-AD08-713DB9D3B377.jpeg

9. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

there are plenty of rifles that you can run a suppressor on. So if you are new to the NFA (National Firearms Act- basically short barreled rifles, full auto machine guns, suppressors, etc) there are two things you are looking at:

1) suppressor- go to a shop and buy your suppressor (aka 'can'). you fill out forms (many people use a trust instead of individual to purchase the NFA items), get fingerprinted and photos taken, submit your info and $200 to the man and wait for 8-12 months for your stamp to come back and pick up your suppressor. If the shop has a range you can have "conjugal visits" with your can while it's "in jail" waiting for your paperwork/stamp to come back. But you can't take it home.

2) Short Barrel Rifle (SBR)- same deal but usually the wait isn't as long and you have to engrave the receiver with the name of your trust if you are using a trust, or your name if you are filing as an individual. I have heard they started doing online submissions for the SBR's again, and the wait times might be less. Someone with more recent info can chime in on the specifics. An SBR is a rifle with a less than 16" barrel (and possibly some other things like overall length, etc). BUT some folks are getting around this by using pistol "stocks" on "rifles". For example you can buy a stripped lower AR15 or a pistol lower that doesn't have a stock, instead it has a "brace". You can have any barrel length in this case because it's a pistol. Doesn't really work well for longer distances or precision but gets you a short barrel without paying a $200 tax/stamp and engraving your receiver. Lots of AR15 "pistols" out there these days.

So with that in mind, you can get a short barrel "pistol" and shoot that. Or just pay the $200 tax stamp and get a real SBR with a full stock and such.

Some of the coolest rifles I"ve seen recently are Smith and Wesson 15/22 (AR15 style 22lr) with a short barrel (4-6") and a suppressor mounted. Short, quiet and reasonably accurate. The integral stuff is cool but sometimes a pain to clean (especially in a 22lr, I'd probably stick with a can you can switch around. I have a buddy with a bolt action 44 magnum with integral suppressor. Stupid quiet and hits hard. I plan to thread my 96/44 and use my 45 can with it. Should be fun with 300gr bullets.

Or you can go the Ruger 10/22 route. Plenty of options for aftermarket stock (PCMACA), barrels (Tactical Solutions SBX is a good way to get a 16" barrel but not have it longer when you thread in your suppressor), or integral setups. You can get the SBX barrel for a few different rifles. Chargers are cool, but if you put a stock on it you should register it as an SBR.

Bolt guns with suppressors are going to be the most quiet. Ruger American, CZ, Savage all make great 22lr bolt guns that are threaded.

I just put a 22lr and 45 can in jail. Now comes the long wait. and time to thread a bunch of different stuff.

XFBO likes this.
  10. Timothy Landon

Timothy Landon Well-Known Member

In my opinion. If your looking to SBR an AR or AK. Just buy a pistol version. No NRA bullshit and it's basically the same thing. I know you can't put a "rifle stock" and whatnot on it. But these "hand braces" are really stocks anyway. Guess it also depends on where you shoot as far as complying with NRA Nazi laws. As far as suppressors. Again, in my opinion. The only guns worth suppressing are bolt guns and .22's. Everything else, in my opinion, just isn't quiet enough to justify the paperwork bullshit and cost.

DucatiBomber likes this.
  11. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

12. SpeedyE

SpeedyE Experimental prototype, never meant for production

Class-3 stuff, my brother :flag:

13. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

:whoosh:
    Read the post above mine. :D (I know what the NFA is)

14. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

The guy above said NRA but meant NFA

15. SpeedyE

SpeedyE Experimental prototype, never meant for production

16. Timothy Landon

Timothy Landon Well-Known Member

Yep. My bad. Can't keep up with these abbreviations. Especially on this site.

17. lizard84

lizard84 My “fuck it” list is lengthy

Meh

All this tactical bullshit? For me I don’t get the allure, if I want a 22 for plinking I’ll just buy a Ruger Mark 4 and a Henry Golden boy.

The AR styles are a serous pain in the ass at the range once the screens for catching the brass are all taken.

rd400racer likes this.
  18. DucatiBomber

DucatiBomber DJ Double A

This thread is complete now... people complaining about policing brass, guns are too loud and reloading hurts my fingers. LMAO.

Ride safe,
    AAron

RRP, Triple X, wsmc 589 and 1 other person like this.
  19. kjohnson

kjohnson Axis

Considering a Desert Eagle .50

Triple X likes this.
  20. terminus est

terminus est Be prepared

Have you considered the cost of .50AE ammo?