1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Better racing platform: ZX-6R vs GSX-R600

Discussion in 'General' started by Greenhound386, Oct 18, 2018.

1. Greenhound386

Greenhound386 Well-Known Member

The latter. Seems like everyone got a single '19 ZX in stock to start.

2. bruceiam

bruceiam Well-Known Member

Not officially

3. TX Joose

TX Joose Well-Known Member

I called my local dealer and they don't have any yet, but they did say they ordered a few and put my name on the list. He asked of if if I wanted to hold one with a 10% deposit because they were getting snatched up already without even hitting the floor.

Also I read up on the contingency for 2019. They only have off-road out now so I imagine roadracing will be up soon. I think that'll be my deciding factor if to get one and build over the winter

4. bruceiam

Dont expect the 19 to be anything but a body work update

5. Greenhound386

Details were released weeks ago, and it's already on showroom floors. Revised dash, bodywork, seat. Addition of quickshifter. A few other very small details. Largely the same bike, though.

BigBird likes this.
  6. Greenhound386

All of my local dealers have 1 in stock. Literally just 1, though.

Careful with your dealer's comment that they're 'getting snatched up'. The bike isn't that different. If not for the new dash, I'd have already picked up a leftover '18. I am seeing them in the mid-$8K range OTD, and it seems like there are a TON out there. No way buyers are coming out in droves for a handful of changes. I have read multiple reviews about the quickshifter on the '19 not being as good as an aftermarket unit, so that selling point has been diluted. I am hoping that it can be remedied with some changes to the ECU; reviewers are saying the timing is too long from the factory.

Gorilla George likes this.
  7. bruceiam

Fly by wire would have made this a no brainer.

tawzx12r likes this.
  8. Greenhound386

I went with a leftover 2018 for $8998 OTD. Lowest OTD price for a '19 was $11K OTD even. I couldn't justify an extra $2K for a different dash and a quickshifter. Might be a different story if I was keeping it as a street bike and wanted the revised styling and LED lights.

So, next question: where can I find geometry and setup numbers for a 13+ ZX-6R? Search results are way too deep.

Senna, BigBird and jd41 like this.
  9. kman0066

kman0066 Well-Known Member

For me (ran Dunlops and Bridgestones), it was stock fork height and getting the rear shock (ohlins) as long as it could go. Played with various other fork heights, hated it in every case other than stock.

Replacing the OEM S-BPF fork carts will help with chatter.

GMD and Thermos-Man both have good valving numbers to use with the Ohlins stuff.

OEM race kit manual has sent good info on the engine.

Oh and -1/+2 gearing is a good starting base to work from on gearing. Never had issues with different lengths.

jd41 likes this.
  10. jd41

jd41 Well-Known Member

:beer: Congrats on the zx6r. I keep reading conflicting data on either having the forks up high (even with extended caps) to lowering them and raising the rear. So no clue but this guy seemed to get the right setup.

11. KneeDragger_c69

KneeDragger_c69 Well-Known Member

It took me all of this racing season to sort out my '13 ZX6R.
    I finally got better handling on it with the rear Ohlins all the way down and the forks (Ohlins Gaz cartridge 25mm) real high.

So rear low and front high... Not much chatter and not quite there with rear grip but I was heading in the right direction.

Hope this helps and CONGRATS on the new purchase ! ;)

jd41 likes this.
  12. badmoon692008

badmoon692008 Well-Known Member

Jesus, three posts and all three are completely different... good luck! :crackup:

BigBird likes this.
  13. socalrider

socalrider pathetic and rude

Congrats- knew you would go green :D

14. DDK732

DDK732 Well-Known Member

Use the 09-12 600 rear linkage (if possible) and start with the shock length at 339mm and 5mm ride height shim (don't be afraid to go taller to get the bike to turn but you'll lose rear grip at some point). I've played around with fork heights on extended Ohlins carts and have always gone back to 6mm (over the top clamp). This is on the MA spec Dunlops.

FWIW I tested the 2019 636 at Vegas last month and was doing 1:21s on a stock bike with the new Bridgestone R11s. The only adjustments we made with the stock suspension was rear ride height, front and rear pre-load and closed up compression a little. The bike is very capable.

BigBird, jd41 and TX Joose like this.
  15. TX Joose

TX Joose Well-Known Member

So what's your opinion on the 2019 Vs the previous generation? That's very impressive times, even for a race bike.

16. DDK732

DDK732 Well-Known Member

In terms of racing the 19' is basically the same as the 13'-18' 636s. Bodywork is really the only difference...chassis is completely the same.

17. JBowen33

JBowen33 Only fast on Facebook

That’s a load of crap. That salesman was trying to blow smoke up your ass to get you to commit to buy the thing. It’s a non special edition Kawasaki. If for some reason that specific dealer can’t get one for whatever reason. The next Kawasaki dealer down the street can.

BigBird likes this.
  18. Greenhound386

Haha! No kidding! I couldn't find good data when I was racing my 2011 ZX-6R. I figured things had changed with the 13+, but that's why I created this thread. It seemed like the ZX was the better choice over the GSXR, but now I'm wondering...

19. Greenhound386

I went silver (ugh). Ugliest color, but it's not going to be a street bike for long. The green ones were $1K more; too much for a different tank color. I can have a painter fix that for way less.

KneeDragger_c69 likes this.
  20. FourThreeSix

FourThreeSix Well-Known Member

I picked up a '19 on Monday for under $10K OTD. Deals can be had.

BigBird likes this.