cometic gaskets

Discussion in 'Tech' started by sportracer07, Oct 14, 2018.

1. sportracer07

sportracer07 Well-Known Member

Anybody have any experience with cometic head gaskets. There about half price of oem, which is awesome but i dnt want any issues. Just wondering if there good, never used them before?

2. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

3. HoyaXC07

HoyaXC07 Well-Known Member

I've used them on our race cars. Worked great and you can order whatever thickness you want.

Kyle Brosius likes this.
  4. CR750

CR750 Well-Known Member

Have you had issues with them? I always value your opinion greatly so am curious as i have a motor apart now.

Ah never mind.

5. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

I almost always have issues with them. That's why I never use them. Almost every one I've ever used has eventually blown. This is also the same feedback I get from others who do what I do. OEM and Vesrah head gaskets very rarely blow.

I did learn something though. If you torque the head, then wait thirty minutes or so, loosen it, and then re-torque it, those gaskets seem to work better. I still won't use them because they're just marginal.

6. DaveB

DaveB Just Riding Around

Put me on the list of people who had problems, specifically with a gasket for a 2013 GSX-R 750, started leaking cylinder pressure into the cooling system. They seem to work fine on some bikes like big twins where you have a lot of sealing area but not so well on inline 4's. I stick totally to Vesrah's on my 750 now.

7. CR750

CR750 Well-Known Member

Thanks!