1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who here smokes (food, not cigs)

Discussion in 'General' started by Scotty87, Jan 25, 2018.

1. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

HAHAHAHAHA, that was so freaking funny!!!!!!!!!! Sorry plastic finger.

2. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I never got to ride that sun of a gun, but turn 8 at willow was pretty awesome for me. It sure was awesome to watch my son and many others really make time through there.
    Wow that setup is impressive!!!!!!!

Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
  3. kz2zx

kz2zx zx2gsxr2zx

From behind the bars, Willow is scary, and watching people go through 8 & 9 faster than me taught me just how much of a wuss I am.

I was talking to a guy in an auto speedshop this week about where I've ever gone over 140 (pretty much every track I've been on on a 1k, not anywhere in a car, but am shooting for Miller/Big Willow) while we were talking about forged Volk vs Gram-Lights (cast). I had mentioned how much power Willow has to turn my guts to water and back off the throttle. He wasn't thrilled with the downhill drive on the gas to turn 7, and I could never go through turn 8/9 in any gear higher than fourth.

@dsapsis, I've got the pastrami in the oven finishing now after a light smoke outdoors. It smells awesome.

4. kz2zx

kz2zx zx2gsxr2zx

The pastrami was freaking excellent, the family said, "Do this one again!"

5. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

Nice! Always good when one really comes together.

6. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

Great to hear. Its a bit of work being a brine and a smoke, but so worth it in the end.
    Ive got one in brine now; will be smoking it in a couple days. Cheers.

7. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Pork belly burnt ends last night!

[​IMG]

Ribs and spatchcock chicken tonight.

I’m starting to love this new smoker/grill.

8. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Results!

Funkm05 likes this.
  9. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

Dude that shit looks ridiculous. Nice smoke ring on the ribs.

dobr24 likes this.
  10. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

Shit... I drove by twice today. Had I known I would have stopped by!

11. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

Should have stopped. We had half a bird and two racks of ribs left over!

cpettit likes this.
  12. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

Those ribs look great. I could never get ribs right.
    I spachcocked my first chicken for christmas, and it was perfect. Such a better way to do it over whole.

13. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

Agree it makes it so easy and so juicy! Just cook the breast to 165 and eat!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

14. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

Smoking a brisket today for family (canuck) Thanksgiving tomorrow. Also making some smoked mac n cheese for the first time.

Been on a bit of a smoker kick lately. Smoked a brisket, 2 small shoulders, 4 racks of ribs and 10lb of wings last weekend for all my buddies who came over and helped reshingle my roof. Gonna see how long I can get away with leaving the big smoker parked on the front lawn before the wife starts complaining :)

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

:crackup:

I did a brisket for the MA race couple weeks ago that turned out amazing. Sous vide for 36 hours at 155, in the fridge for 4 days, on the smoker at 250 for 4 or so hours. Actually got the bark thicker than I wanted on the bottom but that's an easy fix.

16. tito

tito Well-Known Member

did my first overnight smoke last weekend on a 9.5 lb pork butt. 235 for over 10 hours. it was awesome. I also did the wrap in tin foil, then in towels and stick it in a cooler as it got done mid morning. was still piping hot hours later when I pulled it.

17. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

My Traeger's in the garage awaiting assembly...cannot wait!

18. sdiver

sdiver Well-Known Member

Me, with a GMG Pellet. I'll use a competition blend typically. Extra sweet wood for pork.

My specialty is brisket, full packers so I can turn the point into burnt ends. Yeah, St Louis so heavy St. Louis, Kansas City, and Texas influences.

Separate the point from the flat and trim fat prior to the cook. 1/8-1/4th inch fat cap.

Dry brine for 24 hours prior with sea salt in fridge.

My homemade rubs contain no salt. Thus I can control rub and salt separately. Rubs are mostly paprika, brown sugar, white sugar, and various spices. Use plain yellow mustard for sticking rub to meat 2 hrs prior to smoker. Dont worry, the mustard taste will burn off. Leave out of fridge after rubbing so meat can come up in temp, 1-2 hours.

Dont wrap during cook. Or if you do use unwaxed butcher paper not foil at around 150 degrees internal temp. Unwrapped, 12-15 hours @ 225 typically does it.

Pull from smoker with internal temp 197 . Now, wrap flat and place in faux chambray for minimum 2 hrs. Cut point into 1-2 inch cubes. Place in shallow pan. Add more rub and light BBQ sauce and toss for even coating. Return to smoker for 2-3 hours.

During last 1/2 hour pull the flat out place on cutting board. Right before serving, cut into slices across the grain. Pull burnt ends and serve right off the smoker.

All of this reheats very nicely in oven. Wrap and reheat in foil. In a pinch even can use a microwave just dont kill it.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2018
  19. wrx_02

wrx_02 Well-Known Member

Great minds think alike. Got to hot box a brisket after smoking. It really makes a difference.

sdiver likes this.